• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Could Hernandez have some K-Rod in him, with that filthy slider and approaching mid 90s heat?

Was there a report of this somewhere?  If so, I missed it as I've always heard of him being 90-93.  Maybe that tics up a bit if he were to work from the pen, but both his secondary pitches are good.  Maybe plus but Krod's slider was of the best I've ever seen and Hernandez isn't even close in my opinion.  I'm not sure I've seen anyone's with as much late break.  Other than maybe someone like degrom who's a different level from just about everyone in baseball for the last 10+ years.  

11 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I'm really liking what seems like some pretty strong attention to latin america lately and not just quantity.  Billy seems to have reestablished a significant presence that I hope Minasian can continue.  

Say what you will about the domestic scouting being stripped bare, but the international scouting department had over 20 people including Brian Parker who used to be the Dodgers international cross-checker.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Was there a report of this somewhere?  If so, I missed it as I've always heard of him being 90-93.  Maybe that tics up a bit if he were to work from the pen, but both his secondary pitches are good.  Maybe plus but Krod's slider was of the best I've ever seen and Hernandez isn't even close in my opinion.  I'm not sure I've seen anyone's with as much late break.  Other than maybe someone like degrom who's a different level from just about everyone in baseball for the last 10+ years.  

I won't do the legwork but shortly before being drafted, Hernandez had touched mid and upper-90's on the gun. This wasn't seen as the new norm, but it did convince teams that he could project into relief at some point. 

After being drafted, he had a couple starts here and there where he felt good and was sitting 94-95, but for the most part he settled in at 91-92. My guess he is, if he were to move into a relief role, 94-95 would be his norm.  

But you are correct. I honestly don't know if I've ever seen a slider as good as K-Rod's. And perspective is important here too. When K-Rod came up, a major league bullpen might have one guy, maybe two reaching back and firing 95+ with an exploding slider. Now, 95+ is almost a prerequisite. The modern equivalent would be some random 20 year old prospect stepping in and throwing triple digits in August.  

Aaron Hernandez isn't K-Rod. But maybe Scot Shields if we are lucky. It's incredible his arm didn't detach sooner, the way he was used.  

56 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Say what you will about the domestic scouting being stripped bare, but the international scouting department had over 20 people including Brian Parker who used to be the Dodgers international cross-checker.

I was hoping that you'd have this type of info and I wasn't just being hopeful.  I'm also hopeful for the possibility that conventional scouting isn't going to win this draft and it'll be more about metrics.  Not offense to the who are geared toward and more traditional mindset.  While it bothers me that we apparently have a bare bones scouting staff, that would have been way more catastrophic 10 years ago but probably something you can get away with during the current time.  So it's raw speed and avg exit velos and spin rates etc.  Maybe not the type of stuff we'd like to totally rely on but you can glean a lot more from video and trackman and rapsodo and other forms of data available than how it used to be.  

Reminds me of the moneyball scene talking about a guys unattractive GF.  Or the nice face.  Or guys with a big butt.  It cracked me up that having a big butt is a thing.  

5 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I won't do the legwork but shortly before being drafted, Hernandez had touched mid and upper-90's on the gun. This wasn't seen as the new norm, but it did convince teams that he could project into relief at some point. 

After being drafted, he had a couple starts here and there where he felt good and was sitting 94-95, but for the most part he settled in at 91-92. My guess he is, if he were to move into a relief role, 94-95 would be his norm.  

But you are correct. I honestly don't know if I've ever seen a slider as good as K-Rod's. And perspective is important here too. When K-Rod came up, a major league bullpen might have one guy, maybe two reaching back and firing 95+ with an exploding slider. Now, 95+ is almost a prerequisite. The modern equivalent would be some random 20 year old prospect stepping in and throwing triple digits in August.  

Aaron Hernandez isn't K-Rod. But maybe Scot Shields if we are lucky. It's incredible his arm didn't detach sooner, the way he was used.  

and smoke cigarettes and eat fast food every meal.  The most memorable thing for me about Shields was that tailing fastball where a hitter would give up on it and it would just track back to the strike zone.  I swear that thing moved 18 inches back toward the plate from the time he released it.  Literally like a wiffle ball if you put the holes in the right spot.  

I had an awesome wiffle ball yard growing up.  No left or right field.  So you had to go up the middle to get a hit.  Double was past pitcher, triple was over the fence.  Hr was over the trees and fence.  Harder to hit a triple than a hr.  because you had to hit it on a line over the fence under the trees.  We put duct tape on a raft behind the hitter for a strike zone so you could craft pitches that would hit the zone that the hitter had no chance of getting to.   

I pitched a lot and I was left handed.  I had this big bending curve that started like 5 feet out and would break back to the raft for a strike.  My other pitch was where I'd start the ball in the zone and it would end up in the grass or I'd start it at the batter where they'd duck at it would screw back to the raft.  Several of my friends from the neighborhood went on to play college ball at least an a few went pro.  They hit the shit out of lefties their entire career after facing me for almost ten years.  I credit myself for making them that good.  😆

We used to put slip and slides between the bases at home to first and third to home during the summer.  2 on 2.  Even though bases didn't really matter that much more OTL, you'd still have to slide.  And anything other than the yellow thin bat was illegal.  You could tape it below mid way anyway you wanted but non of those thick red bats.  It was like swinging a stick.  Reminded me of the story I heard about howie hitting maple spike balls with a broomstick in the yard.  

I do not mind having Hernandez at the moment, he's only had two season to pitch in the Minors and I just think it's to early to decide. He could still break-out late. On that note, I do think it's his command/control more than a third pitch will limit his upisde. 

Davis Daniel, I will saw is the 2nd best pitching prospect in our system after Detmers. Similar to hernandez, it will his Control/Command that will determine if he starts.

30 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Rengifo at SLC so far (146 PAs):

.330/.398/.574/.972

Rengifo in June so far (46 PAs):

.395/.435/.814/1.249

Forcing the Halos hand soon?

Let him rake. He’s young, he might be our SS next year, let him get reps in defensively at SLC and regular hitting. Also builds trade value. 

If Iglesias gets dealt or Fletcher really isn’t cutting it in July, bring him up then.

Thaiss, Rengifo, and Barria playing well at AAA is good if we wind up buying too, or if we end up selling and need them to step in. Wouldn’t mess with it much right now.

14 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Rengifo at SLC so far (146 PAs):

.330/.398/.574/.972

Rengifo in June so far (46 PAs):

.395/.435/.814/1.249

Forcing the Halos hand soon?

I prefer Thaiss.  Could platoon with Walsh who is really struggling against lefties.  Could play outfield, and 3b and he is crushing the ball. 

Send Wong down, bring up Thaiss, Goss playes backup middle infield. 

Edited by stormngt

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Jo Adell's k to bb ratio over the last 19 games is 28/0.  Correct.  He hasn't walked in his last 19 games.  

This is really concerning. Especially since you can assume teams are trying to pitch around him given his power. It’s almost like he is going out of his way not to walk. 

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

This is really concerning. Especially since you can assume teams are trying to pitch around him given his power. It’s almost like he is going out of his way not to walk. 

the only saving grace is that they're really not for some reason.  They're throwing him a ton of strikes but he swings at almost everything whether it's a pitcher's pitch or a hitter's pitch.  So it is a bit of an odd dynamic.  He just won't not swing.  

It's five games of hot and then five games of not then 5 of and then 5 of not.  It's actually kinda bizarre.  Check this out.

His season broken into 5-6 game chunks.  

first 5 games: 1.106 ops 
next 6 games: .494 ops
next 6 games: 1.559 ops
next 5 games: .375 ops
next 5 games: 1.610 ops
last 5 games: .733 ops (1 of 6 hits not a single)

weird right?  Not sure what to make of it.  

Adell's K:BB ratio is the worst it's been by a large margin yet he is sporting his 2nd highest OPS in any minors season so far.

Have you guys considered the possibility that he is being guided to swing this much by coaches or something? I mean hell, he had a better K:BB ratio in this MLB stint last year.