• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Waiting for Davis Daniel to promoted soonish. I also wonder how long they'll keep Detmers in AA. Maybe a few more starts at a consistently high level?

That'd be my guess. Also Aaron Hernandez is making his Double-A debut tonight. Once Davis Daniel is promoted, there is going to be a lot of starting pitching prospects working their way through the upper minors. Very exciting.

21 hours ago, Second Base said:

That is a clean, textbook delivery.  Perfect balance, good weight transfer, tons of legs, great momentum, ideal reach, consistent arm slot and landing. Good hip turn to hide the ball a little too. 

Reminds me of Mark Prior back in the day. 

My only concern about Davis Daniel is he has a reverse name: a last name as his first name and a first name as his last name. That's a double party foul. 

6 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

nice arm side run on that fastball.  Liking that slow curve and slider in the dirt.  Seems like he throws the curve for a strike and the slider out of the zone.   Seems like he can get swings and misses when ahead.  

Here's something I noticed which several other probably already did and I'm not sure it's been brought up specifically, but if you go back and look at pretty much every K video for almost every player you see that they are getting lots of swings and misses at the fastball up and out of the zone.  That's obviously been a trend in mlb over the last couple years but for some reason it's become a lot more noticeable for the minor league guys this year.  To me anyway.  

It seems the trend overall is that guys are throwing more and more breaking pitches than they ever have before and the fastball up in zone is sort of acting as the 'off speed' pitch.  Or maybe we should start calling it the 'on speed'.  

sure enough, per fangraphs data, fastball usage has gone from 64.4% in 2002 to 50.8% this year which is about the same as last year and almost 2% lower than in 2019.  

cut fastball increased a bit over the last 20 years but that may be related to tracking techniques.  But slider have gone from 12.1% in 2002 to 19.9% now.  Curve, change, split and others have stayed about the same.  

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

The Angels are still trying to develop Hernandez as a starter, when had they put him on a relief path, he likely would be in the majors contributing to the bullpen already.  

Kinda see a Sandoval-esque path. Some starts, some relief, some multi-inning relief, some tandem starts…

17 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Kinda see a Sandoval-esque path. Some starts, some relief, some multi-inning relief, some tandem starts…

Hernandez was a reliever in the cape cod league when he started hitting 97 on the radar gun pre-draft. The Angels moving him into a starting role was never really viewed as a permanent designation as much as an exploratory move to get some innings under his belt, possibly to develop him as a multi-inning relief weapon.  

Most scouts don't view him as a starter any more now than they did a few years ago.  His velo has dropped down into the 91-94 range and he still hasn't developed a third pitch that could be used with any consistency. The slider has always been a plus pitch.  

Then again, he was pretty impressive as a starter in the AFL, but still typically only going 3-4 innings. 

I think personally, I'd rather see him firing 95-97 and unleashing that deadly slider in the major leagues for three outs.

Sandoval still has the makings of a major league starter, I think. 

Edited by Second Base