• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Did anyone hear Arte Moreno talking on AM830?

BTH

12 hours ago, Trendon said:

Apparently Arte Moreno was on The Sports Lodge on AM830 this afternoon. Did anyone hear this interview and know what Arte said?

https://twitter.com/TheSportsLodge/status/1326295203825688576?s=20

I listened to the interview and there were a few good takeaways. 

Rodger asked if he would be comfortable with Fletcher as the SS next year, Arte said yes but he also said he is a good 2B...

I am paraphrasing but Arte said the pandemic will play a role in how much he spends in FA. He mentioned that they only hit about 37% of their projected revenue this year. He alluded to the fact that the amount of spending will be dictated on if we have fans in the stands next year and play a full season. He mentioned MLB will give some indication on how the season will play out soon.   

Talking about the different rules we had this year he said he liked the expanded playoffs and the 7 inning double header games. 

He said that they have not negotiated with FA's yet and are waiting until the GM is in place. 

Arte sated they believe they have a good team and other than pitching they are looking for a Catcher, MI, and RF. 

In regard to the GM search Arte said they are looking to move away from an analytical driven process and are looking for a more player development process. 

He said the last few years, the analytic process has been trying to force players into roles that didn't work (specifically trying to get pitcher to throw with more spin) for them which gave negative results.

Lodge pointedly asked if the new GM will be given the "keys to the franchise" to make the decisions. Arte said no they won't be given the keys and that "the last few times they did that it did not work out".

The way Arte talked about the next GM it sounded like they have already picked their guy. 

Throughout the interview he kept mentioning that he wants to build a team for Trout and Rendon to win with. He understands how important it is. 

19 minutes ago, Tony Two Bags said:

Rodger asked if he would be comfortable with Fletcher as the SS next year, Arte said yes but he also said he is a good 2B...

I am paraphrasing but Arte said the pandemic will play a role in how much he spends in FA. He mentioned that they only hit about 37% of their projected revenue this year. He alluded to the fact that the amount of spending will be dictated on if we have fans in the stands next year and play a full season. He mentioned MLB will give some indication on how the season will play out soon.   

Talking about the different rules we had this year he said he liked the expanded playoffs and the 7 inning double header games. 

He said that they have not negotiated with FA's yet and are waiting until the GM is in place. 

Arte sated they believe they have a good team and other than pitching they are looking for a Catcher, MI, and RF. 

In regard to the GM search Arte said they are looking to move away from an analytical driven process and are looking for a more player development process. 

He said the last few years, the analytic process has been trying to force players into roles that didn't work (specifically trying to get pitcher to throw with more spin) for them which gave negative results.

Lodge pointedly asked if the new GM will be given the "keys to the franchise" to make the decisions. Arte said no they won't be given the keys and that "the last few times they did that it did not work out".

The way Arte talked about the next GM it sounded like they have already picked their guy. 

Throughout the interview he kept mentioning that he wants to build a team for Trout and Rendon to win with. He understands how important it is. 

Sounds like he wants a puppet GM and will not be spending. Bargain hunting in January and February. No Bauer or Stroman look for Richards return and Rengifo at 2B.

36 minutes ago, Tony Two Bags said:

Arte also said not to believe anything @Angels 1961 posts.

2 hours ago, Tony Two Bags said:

Really not what Angel fans will have wanted to hear.

3 hours ago, Tony Two Bags said:

EPwG3YsX4AACQAL.jpg

"Lodge pointedly asked if the new GM will be given the "keys to the franchise" to make the decisions. Arte said no they won't be given the keys and that "the last few times they did that it did not work out"."

So wait, the previous two GM's operated under a "hands off" approach? So even more meddling to come? 

Also the owner really shouldn't be dictating or even offering an opinion on what position a guy plays. 

11 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

So wait, the previous two GM's operated under a "hands off" approach? So even more meddling to come? 

I really want to know what Arte means by having a less hands off approach... Who is overseeing this new GM? Does Arte really think he's the guy for it? Sounds to me like, more of a return to the "Scioscia is the real GM" days...

4 hours ago, Tony Two Bags said:

So... Basically Arte wants to be more involved.   RIP!

The areas that the front office needs to improve in include scouting, drafting and development.  Eppler had some good finds, but the turds he signed impacted the team more than the "good finds."  There was some bad luck on the pitching, but the Angels weren't the only team that needed to find pitching on the cheap.  Somehow, Oakland was able to construct a decent starting pitching staff from nothing, multiple times during Eppler's tenure.

Maddon in an abbreviated season was able to help Walsh improve from being a AAAA player to a viable first baseman.  He was also, by all reports, instrumental in the re-emergence of Upton.  I'm not concerned about Arte.  I am more concerned about who the new GM brings in to help improve the areas that will consistently pay dividends.

4 hours ago, Tony Two Bags said:

He mentioned that they only hit about 37% of their projected revenue this year. He alluded to the fact that the amount of spending will be dictated on if we have fans in the stands next year and play a full season. 

Interesting he would say 37% when that is the exact same percentage of his player salaries he paid this season...

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

1. I don’t want to hear Arte talking about the positions of players.  That’s Maddon’s job. 
2. Lodge skus

3. Puff BJ interview for his boss

4. I waited around all day on the Spanish stations for this.  No wonder I missed it. 

So you do not want Artie talking about positions of players, he is the owner that's all we talk about.

10 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I don’t see how you can be an Angels fan and NOT be concerned about Arte Moreno at this point. 

he is as incompetent as it gets

1.  I don't understand why an owner can't be involved in his own business operations.

2. I don't have any evidence suggesting that Arte is the reason for the Angels missing the playoffs and struggling.

3. Do I submit my resignation for being an Angel's Fan to you or someone else who is in charge?

54 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Wait, I thought Arte was a meddler. 

7 hours ago, Tony Two Bags said:

This is actually depressing.