• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Did anyone hear Arte Moreno talking on AM830?

BTH

4 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I really want to know what Arte means by having a less hands off approach... Who is overseeing this new GM? Does Arte really think he's the guy for it? Sounds to me like, more of a return to the "Scioscia is the real GM" days...

If the new GM is a former assistant that person will come in with less credibility than Maddon. 

6 hours ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

1. I don’t want to hear Arte talking about the positions of players.  That’s Maddon’s job. 
2. Lodge skus

3. Puff BJ interview for his boss

4. I waited around all day on the Spanish stations for this.  No wonder I missed it. 

Victor Rojas much better than Bob Starr as announcer.

12 hours ago, Tony Two Bags said:

Lodge pointedly asked if the new GM will be given the "keys to the franchise" to make the decisions. Arte said no they won't be given the keys and that "the last few times they did that it did not work out".

I take this as him saying that they wont allow a Dipoto type to gut the farm and wont allow an Eppler type to RELY on clean peanut arms, nothing more.

While Im thankful for Tony Two Bags summary of the interview, it was a summary and paraphrase of one persons recollection, not a transcript.  Arte wasnt going to give anything more than some limited insight into broad ownership concerns and it is easy to infer predetermined meaning into what is not meant to be a treatise.  It sounds to me that he has come to a conclusion whereby he agrees with some of Maddons ideas (as I see it) and does not wish to take an analytic-centric path but to increase focus on player development, with analytics pushing the development cart as opposed to the inverse.  That is a positive in that there are few that would say that the Angels have excelled in the player development arena.  

5 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Victor Rojas much better than Bob Starr as announcer.

No, he isn't but times have changed and you probably haven't listened to many games on the radio recently and realize the guys in the tv booth are not relaying to game to you. They are having a lot of conversations while the game progresses. Those may or may not be part of what is going on. 

Terry Smith is a lousy radio announcer. He cannot see pitches and makes up calls as he goes. Often misses plays, can't follow the ball in flight or get the players involved correctly. Langston for color is still an amateur. 

Just now, Blarg said:

No, he isn't but times have changed and you probably haven't listened to many games on the radio recently and realize the guys in the tv booth are not relaying to game to you. They are having a lot of conversations while the game progresses. Those may or may not be part of what is going on. 

this. so much this.

nice guys, terrible announcers.

leave me alone, people.

21 minutes ago, Lou said:

What really surprised me is that people still listen to AM radio.

I love a well announced game on the radio. It used to be my drive time on the way home through traffic or for when I'm working in the garage. The Angels don't provide that. 

15 hours ago, Tony Two Bags said:

I listened to the interview and there were a few good takeaways. 

Rodger asked if he would be comfortable with Fletcher as the SS next year, Arte said yes but he also said he is a good 2B...

I am paraphrasing but Arte said the pandemic will play a role in how much he spends in FA. He mentioned that they only hit about 37% of their projected revenue this year. He alluded to the fact that the amount of spending will be dictated on if we have fans in the stands next year and play a full season. He mentioned MLB will give some indication on how the season will play out soon.   

Talking about the different rules we had this year he said he liked the expanded playoffs and the 7 inning double header games. 

He said that they have not negotiated with FA's yet and are waiting until the GM is in place. 

Arte sated they believe they have a good team and other than pitching they are looking for a Catcher, MI, and RF. 

In regard to the GM search Arte said they are looking to move away from an analytical driven process and are looking for a more player development process. 

He said the last few years, the analytic process has been trying to force players into roles that didn't work (specifically trying to get pitcher to throw with more spin) for them which gave negative results.

Lodge pointedly asked if the new GM will be given the "keys to the franchise" to make the decisions. Arte said no they won't be given the keys and that "the last few times they did that it did not work out".

The way Arte talked about the next GM it sounded like they have already picked their guy. 

Throughout the interview he kept mentioning that he wants to build a team for Trout and Rendon to win with. He understands how important it is. 

thanks for the info.  

I'm an analytics guy but personally felt like there's been too much emphasis on spin rate over the last few years.  Anecdotally haven't see it play out as it should.  

The 'player development' vs. analytics can be taken in many ways.  As well as the 'keys to franchise' comment.  Maybe I'm wrong, but to me this means that Maddon and his instincts get more consideration.  Or at the very least Joe is gonna have a pretty decent say in how things go moving forward.  That could play out well or not so good.  We'll see.  

I still believe in scouting for young guys.  There are certain metrics etc. that might give you a clue but that needs to be paired with experience.  

Also, this is not just about picking the right GM but whether the org supports that person with appropriate resources moving forward.  You are only as good as the people you have around you.  It doesn't matter who they choose because that one guy can't do everything himself.  

There's a reason why someone like Friedman is successful and why his legacy with tampa has continued to work even with him being gone.  

Is it really all about the one guy that sits at the top of the food chain and how smart that person is or how good they are at baseball stuff?  

No, it's about that person's ability to create the right process and surround themselves with others that can enact their vision.  To empower those around them and provide the leadership to do so.  

That's probably a little too much Tony Robbins bullshit right there, but I really believe that this is not just about one guy.  

14 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I really want to know what Arte means by having a less hands off approach... Who is overseeing this new GM? Does Arte really think he's the guy for it? Sounds to me like, more of a return to the "Scioscia is the real GM" days...

It means these are his ideal GM candidates.

nate ruess dead end song GIF

I'm kidding but.... Geesh.

8 hours ago, Blarg said:

I love a well announced game on the radio. It used to be my drive time on the way home through traffic or for when I'm working in the garage. The Angels don't provide that. 

Of all the reasons my angels fan-ship has fallen off over the years, Smith may be at the top.  And gubicza for tv.  

I cannot understand why these positions aren't reviewed annually, and why the angels don't attempt to upgrade.  Smith, Gubicza and Lodge have lifetime appointments, and it makes zero sense.

I am Rojas and Langston positive, fwiw.

I had a houseguest earlier in the year and she thought Robbins was so hot and on point, shifting people and doing good for the world.  I saw the shows I thought that they were nicely staged.

I do have a book of his, just to be fair.

Edited by Revad

What depressing comments from Arte. I am finding less reasons every day to stay a fan of this team. I'm actually jealous of the Mets now. Cohen has said all the right things so far for them. Doesn't want to get involved in baseball side of things, doesn't need to make a profit, etc... The polar opposite of our owner. Sad times.