• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani pitching in 2021

Angels 1961

I think we need to have 5 solid SP's and keep Ohtani as a wild card for the 6th spot. We've relied on Ohtani to be the #1 guy last two years and have been burned due to injury. 

1. Free Agent SP

2. Bundy

3. Heaney

4. Canning

5. Barria or Free Agent SP2

6. Ohtani 

I still think Ohtani can be and will be the ace he is capable of, but it's best to err on the side of caution when building our rotation to avoid a repeat of the last decade of relying on injury prone pitchers. 

I'm not counting on him at all. If he does pitch, how many innings are we going to get out of him, 50? 75? 

Anything he can do from the mound is a plus, but as far as I'm concerned he's not part of the rotation in 2021. Counting on him is just setting us up for failure. 

Get Stroman and trade for a #3 starter and I like our rotation.

He had 20 months to recover from Tommy John but also had the COVID crazy two part spring training in which his pitches lost the movement he had in the past.  Im confident that with a full spring training facing unfamiliar batters he will find some of that movement and command back.  He may never be the 2018 Ohtani but even as a solid #3, cross fingers, he gives the Angels more versatility.  Also, I feel more comfortable with Canning having his starts spread out because although he managed well this year, his elbow is known to continue to be fragile, whereas Ohtanis elbow should be pretty solid after all this recovery time.  Its more his command and effectiveness that is my concern.

I read an interesting article claiming Ohtani hitting lefty while pitching righty was problematic. Never gave that much thought but it makes some sense.

Anyway to answer the OP, from a front office standpoint even if Ohtani looks amazing during ST he should be thought strictly as a lottery ticket IMO. Assume he's a non-factor and build the rotation accordingly. If he surprises us then great. 

From a fan standpoint I think/hope he's going to have a good season but hope the front office doesn't expect it. 

I fully expect Ohtani to pitch, but from a planning standpoint, we should consider any pitching contributions from Ohtani as a bonus.

Either trade for or sign someone to slot in at the top of the rotation.  The rest (Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Barria) will slot nicely as 2-5, and Ohtani can make his Sunday starts perhaps starting in May or so and just see how it goes.

Again - if he performs well and stays healthy enough to provide 10 starts or so, we should consider that as a huge bonus.  

29 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I fully expect Ohtani to pitch, but from a planning standpoint, we should consider any pitching contributions from Ohtani as a bonus.

Either trade for or sign someone to slot in at the top of the rotation.  The rest (Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Barria) will slot nicely as 2-5, and Ohtani can make his Sunday starts perhaps starting in May or so and just see how it goes.

Again - if he performs well and stays healthy enough to provide 10 starts or so, we should consider that as a huge bonus.  

Agreed.  If he’s effective having him rested and available for the end of the season could be a big plus.

The Angels need pitching, and if we're being specific, could really use an ace. We have a kid here, that's fully capable of being the best damn pitcher in baseball. I think too many people have forgotten just how good Shohei Ohtani is on the mound. 

Put him out there once a week. Let him play baseball. Don't be jaded by the past. It's a new season, he's rested and entering his prime. 

If he gets hurt, then you put him on the DL and do your best to move on. But what you don't do is limit him. The baseball world deserves better than that. 

Because if Shohei is healthy, then he's going to be a force to be reckoned with, the likes of which modern baseball has never seen before, or may ever see again.

Edited by Second Base

49 minutes ago, Second Base said:

If he gets hurt, then you put him on the DL and do your best to move on. But what you don't do is limit him. The baseball world deserves better than that.

Completely agree with this.  I just don't get why we'd try to shut down his pitching career.

If Canning has elbow trouble again next year, do we release/non-tender him?  Of course not.  But some of ya'll want to "release" or "non-tender" Ohtani the pitcher already at age 25?  Ohtani is like having two cost controlled players for the price of one, and going hitter-only with him is just like placing one of those players on irrevocable waivers.

Edited by Lazorko Saves