• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

It certainly feels like Bauer is still asking for $35+ million a year.  Someone, if they wait long enough is going to get him for considerably less.  If the Blue Jays sign Paxton, the Angels sign Odorizzi and the Mets spend money on outfield and the pen, then that leaves him signing a much more modest deal or a one year huge deal.  

As much as I think 1 year deals for huge money are reasonable, I just don't see any team willing to drop $40m for one year of a player late in an offseason when they've already essentially filled out their roster.

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I would've been in on this if I were Minasian.

I'm sure he was, but $7 million...ehhh. If the payroll is tight every dollar counts.

Now if he got $5 million I'd be upset. I know that sounds ridiculous but we would have had to give him 3/24 at least, and even then he might not want to play here. 8 million or more wouldn't be smart IMO.

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I'm sure he was, but $7 million...ehhh. If the payroll is tight every dollar counts.

Now if he got $5 million I'd be upset. I know that sounds ridiculous but we would have had to give him 3/24 at least, and even then he might not want to play here. 8 million or more wouldn't be smart IMO.

He's far more likely to find playing time here. I don't think we'd have had to offer him much if anything more.

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

He's far more likely to find playing time here. I don't think we'd have had to offer him much if anything more.

Possibly. Like I said if it was 3/15 I'd be very happy. Maybe he's worth a bit more than that. 

I'm guessing we have a tight budget and Minasian is going for that 2nd starter. We can pick up a cheap RF option in February.

What I don't understand is why the Padres even signed him. It's like they're going for pure luxury at this point. I guess if they have the money and options they can do what they want without having to trade any of their young arms.

37 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Are you using the trade simulator for this? It values Myers at -11. There's absolutely no way he's negative value.

He’s a negative value because he’s owed $45 million over the next two years.

8 minutes ago, Jinzu said:

He’s a negative value because he’s owed $45 million over the next two years.

That's certainly ridiculous, but he still shouldn't be negative value because he's good on the field. Maybe a low value but negative? No way.

51 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Are you using the trade simulator for this? It values Myers at -11. There's absolutely no way he's negative value.

BTV has him at -17.  I don't know, it's their opinion.  22.5M guaranteed for next two years.  It's a bit pricey, but doesn't seem like a wildly bad contract to me.

In any case, it ain't happening.  I think Pads say no instantly to all of those.  If SD wasn't parting with Mackenzie Gore to get any of those high end pitchers they just got, they're not going to do it to dump the $46m they are obligated to pay Myers.

5 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Just for comparison, BTV has Upton at -42.7, Rendon at -43.1.  Eric Hosmer -71, Manny Machado -32.4.

So even at -17, they're kind of agreeing with you that Myers isn't all that bad for that money.

That proves it's bullshit.

Rendon is less valuable than Upton. Ok.

Taking money owed wayyyy to seriously.

14 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

That proves it's bullshit.

Rendon is less valuable than Upton. Ok.

Taking money owed wayyyy to seriously.

I think as fans we often undervalue money owed. We saw examples of this with the Darvish trade. Or even in the Iglesias trade.

-43 means they value Rendon at $176m versus the $219m he’s owed. And Upton at $8m versus the $51m he’s owed.