• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

17 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I'm guessing this is the most likely scenario. 

Gray and Castillo are almost certainly off the table. Marquez is a question mark. 

We don't know every available pitcher. I think most players are "available", and GM's are always checking in on those guys. 

Marquez would be great but would be a big price tag. 
I wonder what other options are out there trade-wise other than names we floated around this offseason (Darvish, Snell, Musgrove, Hendricks, Sonny Gray, Castillo, Jon Gray, Marquez). 

It might benefit the Angels if, instead of the Bauer route, they go with Hand, Odorizzi and then maybe swap a trade for another starter who's cheaper in price but has a higher ceiling than Odorizzi does. With Bundy and Heaney free agents after the season I doubt they keep both. Heaney could then be dealt in a separate trade for outfield depth.  

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

I'm guessing this is the most likely scenario. 

Gray and Castillo are almost certainly off the table. Marquez is a question mark. 

We don't know every available pitcher. I think most players are "available", and GM's are always checking in on those guys. 

I think I saw a Tweet the other day that the Braves' PBO hasn't traded a top 10 prospect since he started working there.

Obviously Minasian is not his former boss and will operate differently, but it'll be interesting to see if he employs a similar strategy.

I wonder if Minasian has begun pivoting to the plan where they add a couple average starters and try and really bulk up the bullpen. He already added Quintana, and the rumors of the Angels being interested in Brad Hand came out the next day.

If you could add an averge starter and two high-leverage relievers, that'd be way better pitching than they've had in recent years.

25 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I wonder if Minasian has begun pivoting to the plan where they add a couple average starters and try and really bulk up the bullpen. He already added Quintana, and the rumors of the Angels being interested in Brad Hand came out the next day.

If you could add an averge starter and two high-leverage relievers, that'd be way better pitching than they've had in recent years.

Walker SP

Greene and Hand RP 

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

We'll see what happens.  Quintana, while he may be viewed as average, is definitely a significant upgrade and helps deepen our rotation.  He's been a 3-4 fWAR pitcher fairly consistently in the past.  Even if he's a 2-3 fWAR starter "only" for us, that's still a good upgrade over what we have had to endure, and as also discussed, he's usually very healthy and has been reliable for 30+ starts, just like Bundy.

At this point, we just need one more SP, and there are indeed multiple options available, both as FAs and trade options.  Lots of people want Bauer, but I just don't really see it right now.

I'm still holding out hope we can acquire Gray in a trade, but even if not, we should be able to fill out our rotation.  

If we ended up signing Paxton + Hand to "conclude" our offseason, I'd be rather content with that.  A rotation of Bundy, Paxton, Heaney, Quintana, Canning, Ohtani, and a bullpen of Iglesias, Hand, Mayers, Pena, Buttrey, Claudio, Reyes, Rivera should be rather solid on the whole.

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Comparatively, I think Quintana at 1/8 is better value.  Richards has more upside, but Quintana is a much more likely bet to stay healthy.

personally, i think quintana actually has the higher upside because he's done the #2 thing before and for several seasons. richards doesn't have any results as a pitcher that are better than quintana. richards only attribute is "stuff".

1 minute ago, ukyah said:

personally, i think quintana actually has the higher upside because he's done the #2 thing before and for several seasons. richards doesn't have any results as a pitcher that are better than quintana. richards only attribute is "stuff".

Looking at the deals for pitchers - Kluber 1/11, Richards 1/10, Quintana 1/8, Happ 1/8, I do think we got the best value, but only time will tell.