• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

36 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

I suppose they could put Iglesias at 2B and have Fletcher platoon in LF and be a super-utility guy.  It could work but it doesn't address their primary needs unless they trade Fletcher, and works against those needs by taking payroll space away from them this year.

I was more thinking Fletcher to RF, if someone like Simba was signed.   Don’t need a RF then.

But, does Fletcher have the arm for RF?   Plus, he’s so good defensively in the MIF.

1 hour ago, floplag said:

All im saying is they arent going to ghost the guy, even if they should.
He will get a chance, if he produces at any level he will get more.
Its not what i want, its not what i would do, but its what i think they will do , especially early on.
If he doesnt produce, or if Walsh tears it up on his chances, that will hopefully change.
This idea that hes going to just get benched, i dont see as realistic, at least not in the first half. 

Why do i feel like Lou only liked this to report it later... lol 

FWIW, I asked a friend that works in baseball ops for an NL East team what he thinks the Angels will do or are doing, the almost exact words are, "I have no idea what they're doing. None of us do. We thought for sure Minasians was going to execute some sort of a plan earlier rather than later." 

I don't tend to pry, so I didn't, but at least from what I gather, there are no leaks in the front office, and for whatever reason, likely market driven, he isn't behaving in a manner anyone expected him to. At least not yet. 

So I'm really interested in seeing what he's doing here. Is he being more calculated in waiting, or is his pace more reactionary to what the market is giving him.

I have to think, his plan early on probably wasn't Quintana and some other reason #4 starter, and if he settles for that we'll know that he was hindered by the market and couldn't do anything. And even if he doesn't get Bauer, as I don't believe he will, he could still pivot and build a solid pen. 

But I have to believe losing out on Snell saved Darvish, as well as the Reds not being willing to deal Gray or Castillo was a BIG blow to the Angels plans. It narrowed their gap for an ace to Trevor Bauer alone.

Edited by Second Base

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

FWIW, I asked a friend that works in baseball ops for an NL East team what he thinks the Angels will do or are doing, the almost exact words are, "I have no idea what they're doing. None of us do. We thought for sure Minasians was going to execute some sort of a plan earlier rather than later." 

I don't tend to pry, so I didn't, but at least from what I gather, there are no leaks in the front office, and for whatever reason, likely market driven, he isn't behaving in a manner anyone expected him to. At least not yet. 

So I'm really interested in seeing what he's doing here. Is he being more calculated in waiting, or is his pace more reactionary to what the market is giving him.

I have to think, his plan early on probably wasn't Quintana and some other reason #4 starter, and if he settles for that we'll know that he was hindered by the market and couldn't do anything. And even if he doesn't get Bauer, as I don't believe he will, he could still pivot and build a solid pen. 

But I have to believe losing out on Snell saved Darvish, as well as the Reds not being willing to deal Gray or Castillo was a BIG blow to the Angels plans. It narrowed their gap for an ace to Trevor Bauer alone.

Well, thats not re-assuring.
I mean they had to have known this around the time of the Iglesias deal so whats been going on since if true?

Maybe Minasian likes our farm system and prospects much more than you might expect.  Many times new GMs come in and don't have the attachment to these prospects and are more willing to trade them.  He's yet to do so with any of our valuable guys.  It doesn't appear yet that we've even been that involved at all seriously in the SP trades to date (Snell, Darvish, Musgrove, etc.).  So trying to be glass-half full, he's very high on our prospects and thinks they will be impact guys...at least that's what i'm going with right now to make me feel better.

Or he simply has a plan and is continuing to work that plan.  The Reds very well could still deal Gray or Castillo.  The Rockies could still deal their two starters, along with Arrenado and Story.  Plus there is still Bauer, Odorizzi and the bullpen arms.  I think we will see Hand sign somewhere in the next day or two.  If it is with the Angels you have to think Minisian is going to trade for the other starter.  I still wouldn’t be surprised to see them go after one of the young Padre starters like Paddock or Gore in a prospect for prospect deal.  

Since there aren't any leaks in the tight group of decision makers he's hired, it's impossible to know. 

When word of the Quintana signing came out, the deal was already finished and word of it didn't come from the Angels, but Quintana's camp. 

Bauer or Ruba rather, hasn't let slip who they are negotiating with, so I'm guessing there have been talks with the Angels. Anything beyond that is a mystery. 

40 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Or he simply has a plan and is continuing to work that plan.  The Reds very well could still deal Gray or Castillo.  The Rockies could still deal their two starters, along with Arrenado and Story.  Plus there is still Bauer, Odorizzi and the bullpen arms.  I think we will see Hand sign somewhere in the next day or two.  If it is with the Angels you have to think Minisian is going to trade for the other starter.  I still wouldn’t be surprised to see them go after one of the young Padre starters like Paddock or Gore in a prospect for prospect deal.  

Also remember that I think Cleveland still needs an outfielder.  And they have a lot of young pitching they could swap for a young outfielder.  

6 hours ago, Stradling said:

Anyone else find it odd that so may of us Angel fans are worried about RF, but we aren’t worried about 1st base?  I mean Walsh is just as big of a question mark in my mind as Ward.  

I don't think this is even remotely true. 

I think many of us are looking at Ward's 2020 season through rose colored glasses. A 98 wRC+ on the back of a 28% strike out rate, a .394 babip and 0 homeruns is not something we should find encouraging, but since it's Ward we've set our expectations low.