• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

It certainly feels like Bauer is still asking for $35+ million a year.  Someone, if they wait long enough is going to get him for considerably less.  If the Blue Jays sign Paxton, the Angels sign Odorizzi and the Mets spend money on outfield and the pen, then that leaves him signing a much more modest deal or a one year huge deal.  

I could Dodgers being his safety net at something like 2/80.  

3 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I could Dodgers being his safety net at something like 2/80.  

That would undoubtedly put the Dodger in the penalty for the 2nd year in a row, which would mean it wouldn’t just be $40 million they are paying him, but more like $55 million. Plus with that $40 they would pay him in 2022, they aren’t likely to be under the threshold again, so add in the extra penalty for the 3rd time going over the tax.  Also, I don’t know if a 30 year old should take a 2 year contract, even at that dollar amount, because now at 32 he has to get another contract.  Who knows, maybe he would do that.

We always seem to think that -- but with these elite FAs, there is always someone that eventually pays up.  Plus Bauer being the one guy who would be willing to take a shorter deal, even more so teams like the LADs could snatch him up.  Bauer will get his money....whatever contract path (1-6 years) he ends up deciding on.

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

That would undoubtedly put the Dodger in the penalty for the 2nd year in a row, which would mean it wouldn’t just be $40 million they are paying him, but more like $55 million. Plus with that $40 they would pay him in 2022, they aren’t likely to be under the threshold again, so add in the extra penalty for the 3rd time going over the tax.  Also, I don’t know if a 30 year old should take a 2 year contract, even at that dollar amount, because now at 32 he has to get another contract.  Who knows, maybe he would do that.

Yes, but when a team wins a WS the revenue is crazy. Back to Back and that's change. 

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It certainly feels like Bauer is still asking for $35+ million a year.  Someone, if they wait long enough is going to get him for considerably less.  If the Blue Jays sign Paxton, the Angels sign Odorizzi and the Mets spend money on outfield and the pen, then that leaves him signing a much more modest deal or a one year huge deal.  

Not attacking your comment as youre largely right, but iF he is asking for $35M, honestly, i want no part of it.  I know a lot of folks wont like that, but yeah, thats where im at. 
Im tired of fighting the albatross deals.  Adding another makes little sense to me.
We all know FA SP are bad investments, overpaying to that level will bite us. 
I wanted him as much as anyone, but not at that level.
He may get that much, i hope it isnt from us.

39 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Would you guys take on Will Myers contract to get back Paddock or Gore?

Curious as to why you think a team that seems to have no issue spending money would trade the best pitching prospect in the league just to dump a contract?

2 minutes ago, mmc said:

Curious as to why you think a team that seems to have no issue spending money would trade the best pitching prospect in the league just to dump a contract?

I guess I don’t see them as having that deep of pockets. I knew Gore was a long shot,  Which is why I also included Paddock in the discussion. Oh it isn’t that they’d be giving away Gore, we’d still have to give up talent along the lines of Adell to get him. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I can definitely see Bauer signing a one-year deal and then trying again next season for the big multiyear deal.

I think the only reason he hasn't signed yet is teams don't want to pay what he's asking.

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

I can definitely see Bauer signing a one-year deal and then trying again next season for the big multiyear deal.

I think the only reason he hasn't signed yet is teams don't want to pay what he's asking.

Yea one year makes sense but someone mentioned a two year deal which I think is unlikely 

Personally I think Bauer would be better off taking the 5-year deal for less per year.

He'll be set for life, if he isn't already.

I don't know if it's vanity or what. Maybe in his mind he sees himself as the savior of all other players by forcing the market higher.

5 hours ago, Junkballer said:

His choice of agent, one with little experience, a methodology that fits with his social media inclinations, with atypical fee structures, makes me think that there is something to his statements about wanting to be "in a partnership" with his new club.  I interpret this partnership to mean the freedom to be as grandiose as he wants to be and getting whatever he wants in terms of setting up the analytic infrastructure and processes he desires. He strikes me as someone who is carrying wounds from feeling misunderstood by former teammates/coaches.  Now feeling vindicated by his success, he seems to want to avoid being in that "misunderstood" position again.  Whether all those comments are just to precipitate conversation with clubs to gauge how much they are willing to accommodate his ideas or if it truly is a priority that will override his salary target no one knows but him and his agent, but I suspect it can be a deciding factor.  Not the main factor but one that may cement a decision between two teams that have relatively similar proposals. 

Which would then lead me to guesstimate.

The prior relationship with Mickey Callaway will go far on either side of the equation. If Bauer wants to be in SoCal and a Halo and he had a rough relationship with Callaway he will either balk or take more CASH! 

If Bauer had a solid relationship with Callaway and wants to be in SoCal... The CASH may be adjustable. To the overall budget or tax restraints. That would also say he wants to be a Leader and isn't 100% chasing a check because at that point the money of an additional 2M-5M when you are talking 25M-30M isn't that great of deal the first year if you can backload it or spread an additional 1M-2.5M per across the final 4-5 years of the contract.

45 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's a big risk for Bauer to take - an injury could cost him 9-figures.  

I guess if anyone would do that, though, it'd be Bauer...

36 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Who would the Halos have to trade to do that?

Myers + Paddack = Marsh

Myers + Paddack = Canning + Vera / or Suarez

Myers + Gore = Fletcher

Myers + Gore = Marsh + Vera / or Suarez

Myers + Gore = Canning + Detmers

But I'll remind you the Padres just made multiple huge trades for high end pitchers and they did not give up Gore in any of them.  Obviously Padres regard Gore as untouchable.

Edited by Lazorko Saves

35 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Myers + Paddack = Marsh

Myers + Paddack = Canning + Vera / or Suarez

Myers + Gore = Fletcher

Myers + Gore = Marsh + Vera / or Suarez

Myers + Gore = Canning + Detmers

But I'll remind you the Padres just made multiple huge trades for high end pitchers and they did not give up Gore in any of them.  Obviously Padres regard Gore as untouchable.

Are you using the trade simulator for this? It values Myers at -11. There's absolutely no way he's negative value.