• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Holy Hell, Trevor Bauer!

Chuck

1 hour ago, Lou said:

Again, is there any evidence that Bauer is a clubhouse cancer? 

Evidence is not required in today's world.  Simply saying something is all that is required for whatever to be taken as reality.

Can we stop using the phrase "clubhouse cancer?" It's offensive.

I mean... no one has a house just for clubs. Who even owns a club anymore? Are we cavemen?

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

who is claiming that he is?

Some folks are insinuating it using examples such as his social media presence, throwing a ball over the fence when being removed from a game and arguing with Calloway.

I would guess that players are never going to say anything about someone being a bad teammate.  We will never know whether Bauer is simply eclectic or a distraction before he signs a contract. 

I believe Maddon's and Calloway's primary job is to manage personalities which is often called "forming relationships."  I think some folks are underestimating the abilities of Joe and Mickey in managing Bauer and all that he brings.

For as much time players spend together, I do think personality matters.  From a fan's perspective, Bauer might be what the Angels need, and the Angels might be what Bauer needs.

I would trust whatever Minasian, Maddon and et.al. decides regarding Bauer.

24 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Can we stop using the phrase "clubhouse cancer?" It's offensive.

I mean... no one has a house just for clubs. Who even owns a club anymore? Are we cavemen?

we're referring to the sandwich.  

3 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Some folks are insinuating it using examples such as his social media presence, throwing a ball over the fence when being removed from a game and arguing with Calloway.

I would guess that players are never going to say anything about someone being a bad teammate.  We will never know whether Bauer is simply eclectic or a distraction before he signs a contract. 

I believe Maddon's and Calloway's primary job is to manage personalities which is often called "forming relationships."  I think some folks are underestimating the abilities of Joe and Mickey in managing Bauer and all that he brings.

For as much time players spend together, I do think personality matters.  From a fan's perspective, Bauer might be what the Angels need, and the Angels might be what Bauer needs.

I would trust whatever Minasian, Maddon and et.al. decides regarding Bauer.

here are some quotes from the article linked above.  Mind you, this is not evidence.  Or circumstantial at best.  

“I try to make the things that I say be based in reality, based in facts, and truthful,” Bauer says. “And if that’s the case, and you want to be upset at me for stating the truth, that’s your choice. I don’t know if I’m not afraid of sticking middle fingers in people’s faces, or if I enjoy it. But I end up doing that a lot.”

Bauer has a reputation as a troublesome teammate. Some members of his organization have griped that the clubhouse consists of “24 plus Trevor,” and, says one player, “I think Trevor cares about Trevor a lot.” Of course he does, Bauer says. “In what world is me being a Cy Young winner bad for the team?” he asks. “The better I am, the better the team is, so you should want me to be selfish about how good I am.”

He will drop everything to help out a teammate who asks, he says, but most don’t. “I could’ve fixed Cody Allen’s curveball in two days last year, but I couldn’t tell him anything because he’s a veteran and he doesn’t want to listen,” Bauer says. 

But less established teammates, like Shane Bieber and Nick Goody and Neil Ramirez and especially Mike Clevinger, are turning to him increasingly often. “He has a rep of having bad character, for some reason—for almost being too honest,” says Clevinger, who, like Bauer, is 28, but unlike Bauer, has shoulder-length hair and gives off a surfer vibe. “It’s not like he’s saying a bunch of lies. The truth hurts, sometimes. His attitude is, if you don’t like me, there’s 7.5 billion people on this planet, so I’m pretty sure there’s others that will, so you can go kick rocks. That bonds us.

none of these make him a clubhouse cancer which I agree is a silly moniker that should be reserved for the truly awful.  But I think it's worthy of discussion as to whether he'll be a disruption in some way, shape or form.  Yet there is some indication that he could actually be a positive influence on younger players.  Showing them important components of analytics etc.  

What you don't want is some sort of conflict that creates factions ie guys who listen to Bauer vs. guys who listen to Callaway.  

Bauer likely isn't going to compromise.  At least I don't get the impression he will so it's his way for himself at the very least.  So if you add him, you are essentially committed to accepting that because if there are guys in the clubhouse who are going to outright fight it or choose sides then it's not a good situation.  

This is why I think it's an interesting discussion.  Because this isn't just some guy who does it the normal way.  

Seriously.  WTF else do we have to talk about?  

31 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Some of you spend way too much time worrying about crap you don't have any control over. 

Isn't that pretty much the precise definition of being a "fan?"  

We have no control over any of it, and it doesn't actually affect our lives.  

Sooo ...

"Shut 'er down, Chuck - it's all meaningless..."

3 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don't know... we've devolved into discussing if Bauer is too much of a clubhouse cancer to sign. We're losing hope and constructing narratives that will help us cope.

This is too accurate to be posted here. I'm sorry but I've reported it to the mods.

48 minutes ago, Dochalo said:
This is why I think it's an interesting discussion.  Because this isn't just some guy who does it the normal way.  

Seriously.  WTF else do we have to talk about?  

I think this discussion indicates how desperate we are for quality starting pitching.

There are lots of things to talk about if you have low standards and minimal expectations.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

and you spend most of your time on here admonishing others for what they post.  

That’s not entirely true... I spend most of my time just being sarcastic and some time just being cranky.

where are the Bauer sweepstakes today?

I[d like for the Halos to sign him - think he's worth it but - YES - will cost a bundle.

But Board Members - aren't we tired of the Halos doing it on the cheap with the rotation guys.

we don't seem to sign an ace quality guy but a couple of four to fifth spot guys with either a checkered history and/or arm rehab issues and then expect them to blossom into quality starters -- that formula is getting old and is probably the reason why the Halos last playoff game gets farther and farther away in the rear view mirror.

A Bauer signing may change that - but he'll cost a bundle - I think he's the only real quality ace type guy available? Out there?  Angels have to make the playoffs in 2021.  Embarrassing they could not make the expanded playoffs this year.

24 minutes ago, Stradling said:

@Jeff Fletcher do you have any sense of the Angels interest level in Bauer? Do you think Arte would shy away from Bauer based on Bauer being so outspoken?  

This is just my speculation, but wouldn't Bauer's outspokenness be more appealing to Arte? Arte has always wanted the big star who is going to attract attention, and Bauer attracts attention. Now, for some people it may not be the right kind of attention, but it's still attention that you wouldn't otherwise gain.