• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Holy Hell, Trevor Bauer!

Chuck

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

So all BS aside...  Does this dude still have a market?  Mets could move a pitcher to create a space.  Dodgers could step up just to counter the Pad's moves but, they are a trust the process org.  So you have SF, Toronto, Angels, and who else?

Philly seriously looks like they are buried in the NL East, if anything they should maybe consider offloading guys.  The Yankees, and Red So both have rotation issues but one might have a clubhouse issue, the other is still kind of trying to get out from under some mistakes.

So who is his market now?

I've been thinking a sleeper team would now be the White Sox. 
My thoughts on teams in it are Blue Jays, Angels, White Sox and MAYBE Padres... Sleeper being Mets.

Angels- Need multiple pitchers. They're likely a #1 and #2 guy away from being serious contenders, but they're in a weird spot again. Do they get multiple arms who are lower in value? Or finally get their big pitching cookie but are now stuck financially? 

White Sox have a solid rotation, but with the Indians bailing out, they have the motivation and $ flexibility to push for him

Padres were said to have contacted Sugano. With their current payroll right around where the Angels are, it makes me wonder if they're open to spend more still given their interest still in Sugano.

Blue Jays are close to playoffs. This depends on the race for Springer with the Mets. If Mets get Springer then Jays likely will pivot to Bauer. But Blue Jays need pitching badly IMO. 

Mets with a payroll just north of $160M they are now focused on Springer. But if the Jays get Springer then I wouldn't be surprised if they fallback on Bauer just because the owner wants to spend. 

my conclusion.... The Angels aren't as much of a favorite as we think. I think Bauer is the one player that doesn't only care about who offers the most money, but the structure of the organization and so on. In order for the Angels to be chosen by him I really think they need to wow him within the next few days by trading for someone like Gray, Castillo or Marquez or Contreras. Yes they are expensive prospect options but I think even Bauer knows he alone won't fix the Angels. They need to wow him like the Padres and Mets have done so far and show him they're going for it.

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

So all BS aside...  Does this dude still have a market?  Mets could move a pitcher to create a space.  Dodgers could step up just to counter the Pad's moves but, they are a trust the process org.  So you have SF, Toronto, Angels, and who else?

Philly seriously looks like they are buried in the NL East, if anything they should maybe consider offloading guys.  The Yankees, and Red So both have rotation issues but one might have a clubhouse issue, the other is still kind of trying to get out from under some mistakes.

So who is his market now?

I think he absolutely has a market. There are teams obviously willing to pay $100+ mil for him (Jays, Mets, Angels, Giants) and probably a number of less obvious teams who would make competitive offers if the price wasn’t insane (Padres, White Sox, Red Sox, Yankees). I still think he gets somewhere around 6/160. 

2 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

I still think he is going to the Mariners. They need pitching, and their payroll sits at only $77m. Plus, he spends a lot of time up there working out in the offseason. And he has a previous relationship with Dumpoto.

I doubt it. Mariners are further away than we are to winning. Bauer want's to win. He's not 100% money driven. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Based on fangraphs numbers. we get this:

Add Bauer: 3.9WAR
Add Gray: 3.2WAR

Angels splits then look like this

Batting.        Pitching.     Overall
25war.         20.1war.        45.1war

This makes them tied for second best offense, tied for second best pitching, and best overall in terms of projected WAR. 

2 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Based on fangraphs numbers. we get this:

Add Bauer: 3.9WAR
Add Gray: 3.2WAR

Angels splits then look like this

Batting.        Pitching.     Overall
25war.         20.1war.        45.1war

This makes them tied for second best offense, tied for second best pitching, and best overall in terms of projected WAR. 

The math isn't going to be exactly that smooth.

If they were to add both Bauer and Gray, you would also have to subtract the projected the war from the 387 combined IP that they are projected to replace. (All teams are projected to have 1458 IP thrown from their pitching staff.)

To find those 387 combined IP, they'd likely project some of the starters to make less starts and some of the relievers to throw less innings. Some of the players whose innings will get taken away might not be projected to provide much in terms of WAR anyway. But I'd imagine they'd reduce the projected IP totals for guys like Heaney, Sandoval, Ohtani, and Barria, which would end up costing them some WAR.

Regardless, adding Bauer and Gray would be a huge boost to the team. However, I don't think acquiring two of the best starters out there is likely.

57 minutes ago, Trendon said:

The math isn't going to be exactly that smooth.

If they were to add both Bauer and Gray, you would also have to subtract the projected the war from the 387 combined IP that they are projected to replace. (All teams are projected to have 1458 IP thrown from their pitching staff.)

To find those 387 combined IP, they'd likely project some of the starters to make less starts and some of the relievers to throw less innings. Some of the players whose innings will get taken away might not be projected to provide much in terms of WAR anyway. But I'd imagine they'd reduce the projected IP totals for guys like Heaney, Sandoval, Ohtani, and Barria, which would end up costing them some WAR.

Regardless, adding Bauer and Gray would be a huge boost to the team. However, I don't think acquiring two of the best starters out there is likely.

Gray isn't considered the best starter out there. Bauer, yes in terms of best FA pitcher out there. 

4 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Gray isn't considered the best starter out there. Bauer, yes in terms of best FA pitcher out there. 

That's why I said "two of the best starters out there."

I agree that he isn't the best, but he is one of the better options out there.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

That's why I said "two of the best starters out there."

I agree that he isn't the best, but he is one of the better options out there.

In a couple weeks it could be any two starters... that are left.

I’ve forgotten who posted this but we were talking about SP, and message was do you want to wait around for a 9 that you’ll lucky to make the friend zone or with settle on a 7 or 8.  Well let’s try to keep above 5.  No matter what time it is.

The Angels obviously haven't gotten to that point yet because very few pitchers have signed, but at a certain point they may have to weigh whether spending 8-10 million on a Quintana type pitcher is actually the best allocation of resources. For that 8-10 million they could instead sign a lower tier starter like Brett Anderson and a reliever like Bradley or Greene.