• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Holy Hell, Trevor Bauer!

Chuck

I will say this...

If he really cares about a "partnership" to where both sides (meaning he and the team) will listen to each others' ideas, then that has Minasian/Maddon written all over it. 

Minasian has said he is all about listening and building relationships with the players and we all know how Maddon is. 

Just a thought. 

Pitching every fourth day, the Angels would be the most likely team for that to even be considered. Between Ohtani and someone like Canning and any other young pitchers on the staff potentially needing time off, we're probably the most likely team for him to be able to do that. 

Not saying Angels would let him pitch every fourth day, only that if anyone would consider it, the Angels are probably his team. I don't see many other teams being cool with that. 

5 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Pitching every fourth day, the Angels would be the most likely team for that to even be considered. Between Ohtani and someone like Canning and any other young pitchers on the staff potentially needing time off, we're probably the most likely team for him to be able to do that. 

Not saying Angels would let him pitch every fourth day, only that if anyone would consider it, the Angels are probably his team. I don't see many other teams being cool with that. 

Not so sure of that. Any team that signs him long term, needs to protect their investment. Research over decades is why MLB teams have made the move to 5-6 man rotations. I doubt any  club would be happy with him if he blew his arm  out 6 months after he signs. Not for that price.

27 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Not so sure of that. Any team that signs him long term, needs to protect their investment. Research over decades is why MLB teams have made the move to 5-6 man rotations. I doubt any  club would be happy with him if he blew his arm  out 6 months after he signs. Not for that price.

I didn't say they would. I said if any team was open to it, it'd be the Angels. He didn't make that a condition of signing anyway. I'm not sure any team would give him that shot, but if he's looking for a shot at that, he'd be better off here. 

I think his whole approach to his free agency is interesting on multiple levels. I find it refreshing simply because it’s different. Rachel Luba is different too. It’s all good because people keep talking about him.

As long as he can produce on the field and get along with his teammates and coaching staff, I don’t care what he does to build his brand. 

Every single thing Bauer says are important to him, screams that he will NOT be an Angel.

1. Geography doesn't matter. He might be an LA native but it gives the Angels no advantage.

2. He wants a team that will partner with him in branding. The Angels don't do that. They bring in baseball players, and the whole branding thing, is up to the player to do in his own time. Pujols, Ohtani, Trout and Rendon don't brand themselves and couldn't care less about it.

3. He values advanced metrics and alternative training methods. The Angels are more scouting oriented and he butted heads with Callaway in Cleveland.

4. He wants a team open to the idea of allowing him to pitch in short rest. Maddon has said multiple times they'll likely be going to a full 6 man rotation.

5. He wants to be happy, and indicated he was miserable playing baseball earlier in his career. Who was his pitching coach earlier in his career? Callaway. 

------

Sorry guys, but I just don't think Bauer fits this team. He's a good pitcher, that's about it. 

I do think he's holding up the market for the players the Angels are legitimately interested in though. Gray, Castillo, Hendricks, Musgrove, Odorizzi, Quintana, Richards...

11 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Every single thing Bauer says are important to him, screams that he will NOT be an Angel.

1. Geography doesn't matter. He might be an LA native but it gives the Angels no advantage.

2. He wants a team that will partner with him in branding. The Angels don't do that. They bring in baseball players, and the whole branding thing, is up to the player to do in his own time. Pujols, Ohtani, Trout and Rendon don't brand themselves and couldn't care less about it.

3. He values advanced metrics and alternative training methods. The Angels are more scouting oriented and he butted heads with Callaway in Cleveland.

4. He wants a team open to the idea of allowing him to pitch in short rest. Maddon has said multiple times they'll likely be going to a full 6 man rotation.

5. He wants to be happy, and indicated he was miserable playing baseball earlier in his career. Who was his pitching coach earlier in his career? Callaway. 

------

Sorry guys, but I just don't think Bauer fits this team. He's a good pitcher, that's about it. 

I do think he's holding up the market for the players the Angels are legitimately interested in though. Gray, Castillo, Hendricks, Musgrove, Odorizzi, Quintana, Richards...

Pretty much disagree with everything you said. 

1. Actually hurts teams like Yankees or Dodgers, but sure, he's not committed to LA. Neither is he, like a lot of guys, against being here, which is our usual problem. 

2. Not sure that's what he said, and I don't feel like rewatching it. So I may be wrong but my takeaway was he wants to show stuff like that and doesn't want the team to interfere, not he wants the Angels market him. That could be a problem, but it shouldn't be. 

3. Might be overhyping that. The Angels may be pushing more into scouting, doesn't mean they're suddenly anti analytics. If you got that impression from them, I think you're mistaken. I also but Bauer would see them as anti analytics or that they would have a problem with his process if it works for him. 

4. This is where I disagree the most. If it's a six man rotation, the schedule is already all over the place. This is the one that actually makes us an ideal fit more than any other team. Other teams would have to adjust to fit that and I doubt any would. The Angels actually could (doesn't mean they will, but he's more likely to find a fit here as anywhere).

5. Know when he was happiest? Playing in the WS. Who was the pitching coach? Oh, that's right: Callaway.

I think he's an ideal fit and I'm already bummed he'll probably sign elsewhere. He could be great here in helping show off guys like Trout and Shohei in his media stuff, and might be able to help younger guys as well with pitching with all the data he brings. 

If the Angels really want Bauer then they'll let him make some of the things he values a reality. 

The Angels have made no mention of being a scouting based team.  They have only indicated that they will go back to incorporating scouting more than they used to.  I truly believe they will continue to emphasize analytics regardless of what they tell the press.  And scouting incorporates analytics now.  They are not mutually exclusive contrary to what some people think.  Spin rate and exit velo and trackman and advanced video are going to be a major part of how they make decisions.  Just not the only way they're going to do it.  

They'll entertain the idea of letting him pitch on 3 days rest occasionally and it might even happen.  

I personally don't think the rift between him and Callaway was overblown.  I think Mickey probably wanted the pitchers to do stuff a certain way and Bauer didn't believe that it was as helpful to him or maybe even others.  If Mickey and the Angels can embrace the fact that Bauer and his understanding of pitching might bring more to the table than just 32 starts a year then that could actually be a benefit.  I think they should.  Why not at least listen.  

9 hours ago, Second Base said:

------

I'd have to disagree a bit here. 

As I mentioned previously from the video he posted that he really cares about a "partnership".
From a business prospective, he wants to form relationships with management and vice versa. If there was one MAJOR plus about this then it'd be our management system which I think is now the best in baseball.

Joe Maddon and Perry Minasian. One of the greatest player-first coaches and Perry Minasian who has only talked about forming connections to his players and listening to what they think. Maddon has said analytics are cool but sometimes it's a feel for the game. Bauer/Maddon can heavily relate to this. I think compared to other coaches/GM combos that this could be a deciding factor for Bauer. All Arte has to do is say "we will be open to ideas you have" and then let Minasian and Maddon implement that. 

Callaway might need to be more metric driven BUT like I said if upper management says "we will be open" then that whole thing changes. 

The Angels have done a 6-man rotation but that doesn't mean, like Bauer said, that things can't be negotiated. Let's say there's some matchup scenarios that might be better to have Ohtani batting a couple extra days and Bauer could potentially be that "4th day" fill-in.

One plus about our rotation is that it's so bad nothing is set. Things could absolutely be moved around. 

The one thing that does concern me though is him saying "he wants a World Series". 

I only say this because the White Sox, Padres and Mets are closer to that than we are. 

I think it's really crucial that the Angels trade for another arm and MAYBE a catcher before he makes his decision. Because he is taking notice of what the Padres and Mets are doing, not the Angels.

Lots of disagreement with my assessment. That's fine. I think it comes down to your perception of the Angels and who they and we think they are. 

From his description, the Dodgers and White Sox might be a better fit (minus TLR as the manager, apparently their pitching coach is big on metrics). 

It'll be interesting to see. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't think the Angels are a fit, at all....beyond the fact that he's a pitcher and they need pitching. There are just much better fits out there vying for his services, in my opinion. 

Edited by Second Base

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

If the Angels really want Bauer then they'll let him make some of the things he values a reality. 

The Angels have made no mention of being a scouting based team.  They have only indicated that they will go back to incorporating scouting more than they used to.  I truly believe they will continue to emphasize analytics regardless of what they tell the press.  And scouting incorporates analytics now.  They are not mutually exclusive contrary to what some people think.  Spin rate and exit velo and trackman and advanced video are going to be a major part of how they make decisions.  Just not the only way they're going to do it.  

They'll entertain the idea of letting him pitch on 3 days rest occasionally and it might even happen.  

I personally don't think the rift between him and Callaway was overblown.  I think Mickey probably wanted the pitchers to do stuff a certain way and Bauer didn't believe that it was as helpful to him or maybe even others.  If Mickey and the Angels can embrace the fact that Bauer and his understanding of pitching might bring more to the table than just 32 starts a year then that could actually be a benefit.  I think they should.  Why not at least listen.  

Agreed.

I think what happened was they saw guys like Jam Jones who were on a solid trajectory dong it in a traditional way... Then he was asked to chase launch angle and sees his game fall apart only to rebound once he reverted to previous swing.  There were a few other guys that had similar struggles.  On the mound what happened to Barria may have also impacted how they viewed some of what White was teaching, as well as the focus on certain metrics.   

I think its less that they are moving completely away from analytics and simply trying to find greater balance or simply reconsidering how they will go about implementing changes or being more selective about who they tinker with.