• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Are we having a baseball season in 2020?

27 minutes ago, yamsi12 said:

The season is toast.

...and perhaps next season if we get a resurgence of COVID and no vaccine yet or effective treatments.

Then after the collective bargaining agreement expires, a season-long strike in 2022 is a distinct possibility due to the ongoing greed and stupidity of all the parties involved.

So maybe no baseball until 2023?

6 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

...and perhaps next season if we get a resurgence of COVID and no vaccine yet or effective treatments.

Then after the collective bargaining agreement expires, a season-long strike in 2022 is a distinct possibility due to the ongoing greed and stupidity of all the parties involved.

According to someone high up in the administration there is a vaccine for Aids and they’re working very-very hard on a Covid-19 vaccine. 

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

With all due respect, how in the hell do you know?

The question is, how many athletes in all sports who have tested positive, have had to be hospitalized?   According to the article on the eight Phillies players/employees, none of them seemingly was hospitalized.

The other question then is, given how the players will be sequestered, if none of them are being hospitalized why would that prevent the season from being played?   Just a fair question to ask, right or wrong, as flu outbreaks happen too in clubhouses.

37 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

If there is no baseball in 2020 or '21, does that make it more or less likely that there will be a strike? If the players miss two years of salary, are they really going to strike? If the owners miss two years of television revenue, will they be anxious to get back, or will they be more hard-line about maximizing profits going forward? I have no idea. 

38 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

The question is, how many athletes in all sports who have tested positive, have had to be hospitalized?   According to the article on the eight Phillies players/employees, none of them seemingly was hospitalized.

The other question then is, given how the players will be sequestered, if none of them are being hospitalized why would that prevent the season from being played?   Just a fair question to ask, right or wrong, as flu outbreaks happen too in clubhouses.

It's not just players, who might be low risk, it's coaches and team personnel who are older and higher risk. It's the people cleaning the facilities, the cooks, TV camera operators, and more. Many of these people (players included) may have preexisting conditions that they are unaware of. 

Get any group of people that big together there are going to be people like that who will experience serious illness or death.

How much is that risk increased because of playing baseball may be debatable. But I don't think acting like it doesn't exist is prudent. Just say I care more about baseball than I do those people and the added risk is acceptable to me.

3 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

It's not just players, who might be low risk, it's coaches and team personnel who are older and higher risk. It's the people cleaning the facilities, the cooks, TV camera operators, and more. Many of these people (players included) may have preexisting conditions that they are unaware of. 

Get any group of people that big together there are going to be people like that who will experience serious illness or death.

How much is that risk increased because of playing baseball may be debatable. But I don't think acting like it doesn't exist is prudent. Just say I care more about baseball than I do those people and the added risk is acceptable to me.

It is good to look at it from both sides, admittedly.   I just don’t want MLB to give up a whole season, which would put them with just the 2004-05 NHL lost season.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

It is good to look at it from both sides, admittedly.   I just don’t want MLB to give up a whole season, which would put them with just the 2004-05 NHL lost season.

I just don't think anything resembling a season can take place. If a player tests positive you can't just let them continue to be around the other players and team personnel. I also think that so many players will be infected that rosters may be 1/4 minor leaguers at any given point if they continue to play. There may be stops and starts. 

I just am not sure how much I really want to see that kind of baseball. I haven't watched one KBO game this season. I want to watch MLB, but I'm not sure any product they put on the field will really resemble MLB.

12 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

I just am not sure how much I really want to see that kind of baseball.

This is how I have felt for the last couple of months. Some people will be happy to see any kind of baseball. I don't think I'm one of them. But I could be wrong. When I first heard of the World Baseball Classic, I never thought I would enjoy it, and now I look forward to it more than the Olympics. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

There isn’t a sane person alive that truly believes we will go 3 seasons without baseball. 

Hi Stradling. Welcome to AngelsWin. Please be sure to introduce yourself to the forum. It's great to have a new voice talking Angels baseball!