• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Toughest non playoff games you remember watching

notherhalo

August 1, 2012: blowing a six-run lead at Texas while battling them for the Division lead.

Kendrys thrown out at home with a one-run lead in the 9th while Bourjos sat on the bench (when everyone on this board was screaming for him to pinch run). Kinsler hits a home run in the bottom of the 9th to send the game to extras. 

Albert and Ianneta both hit homers in the 10th to take a three-run lead. Texas scores four in the bottom of the 10th to walk off. 

More than 7 years later and I still feel sick remembering that game. 

1 hour ago, SoPas Angel said:

August 1, 2012: blowing a six-run lead at Texas while battling them for the Division lead.

Kendrys thrown out at home with a one-run lead in the 9th while Bourjos sat on the bench (when everyone on this board was screaming for him to pinch run). Kinsler hits a home run in the bottom of the 9th to send the game to extras. 

Albert and Ianneta both hit homers in the 10th to take a three-run lead. Texas scores four in the bottom of the 10th to walk off. 

Three words

Gas Can Frieri

1 hour ago, SoPas Angel said:

This is what I was thinking of but couldn't remember the game.

I was throwing things at the end of that game.

Toughest non-playoff game loss:  

1985, the next to last Saturday of the season, the Halos led in Cleveland 5-0 in the bottom of the 8th, and were tied with the Royals for the AL West lead back in the no WC days.    I was on a flight to Vegas at that point.

I arrive in Vegas, turn on the radio and find out that the Halos lost 7-5, and then after winning that Sunday to go a game up on the Royals, lost 3 out of 4 to the Royals the last week of the season, and finished one game behind the Royals.

16 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

That game where Frankie Rodriguez dropped the throw back from the catcher and the winning run scored from third.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/OAK/OAK200809170.shtml

Think it was this one.  The sting was lessened by the fact they won the division that season but, yeah, that was unforgettable.  

9 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/OAK/OAK200809170.shtml

Think it was this one.  The sting was lessened by the fact they won the division that season but, yeah, that was unforgettable.  

No, it was a day game at Oakland in 2005. (I was at work and punched the monitor hanging on the wall, which I had to pay to replace.)

12 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

That season was already frustrating enough considering I thought we were a 100 win team on paper.

That 2012 game started the Gas Can Frieri era.  

He had been almost untouchable through July, after being acquired from the Padres.   But from that game forward, he wasn't the same.   He also gave up a game tying 2-run HR in the 9th in KC that September, after Grienke had pitched 8 scoreless innings.   

3 hours ago, SoPas Angel said:

Fucking hell I remember that piece of crap game. I have never been more pissed off at our closer. Frieri wasn't bad but holy shit he was a pussy. He also blew a 2 run lead against KC that year after Greinke pitched a gem.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Fucking hell I remember that piece of crap game. I have never been more pissed off at our closer. Frieri wasn't bad but holy shit he was a pussy. He also blew a 2 run lead against KC that year after Greinke pitched a gem.

That whole month was just awful. No single game was worse for me than August 1, however, a couple of weeks after it, the Rays came to Anaheim for a four-game set. In their previous game, facing King Felix, the Rays did not have a single baserunner. It was the perfect opportunity for that loaded Angels team to make up a lot of ground.

The Angels were shut out in the first game.

In the second, Weaver had the worst start of his career at that point, surrendering 9 runs in 3 innings. 

On Saturday, the Angels honored the ’02 World Champions in a pregame ceremony. They then raced out to an 8-0 lead. In the presence of that championship team, the ’12 Angels proceeded to squander the lead, losing 10-8 in the biggest blown lead at home in Angels history.

On Sunday, Greinke gave up 6 runs in 6 innings and the sweep was complete. 

That series was a 10/10 on the disgust meter. 

4 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Ok. Still no hitter and the Angels lose. Still the worst for me. 

and it didn't count as an official no-hitter because the angels were the visiting team and since the dodgers were leading, they didn't have to bat in the bottom of the 9th.

it's a stupid rule.

3 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

That game where Frankie Rodriguez dropped the throw back from the catcher and the winning run scored from third.

I was at that game with my brother, having gone to the Bay area to visit family. Jason Kendall scored from third and it seemed like he was moving in slow motion as Frankie tried to retrieve the ball which was in no-man's land between the pitching mound and the shortstop.

That 16 inning game this past year against Baltimore comes to mind. It was right after we started getting hot, we finished the season sweep against the Dodgers and were in the thick of the WC race. We had a 4 game series against the worst team in baseball coming up followed by a 3 game series against the 2nd worst team in baseball. Things were looking good.

The Angels had a 4-2 lead going into the 8th, which they blew (This was the height of Buttrey's suckitude), and then gave up another run in the 9th. They tied it to send it into extras. They proceeded to do fuck-all against the worst bullpen in baseball until the O's scored 3 in the 15th. The Angels roared back and tied it and Fletcher got thrown out at home in a controversial call. They then lost it in the 16th. 

That was the game that killed the season, as they'd go on to lose 3 of 4 from Baltimore, followed by losing 2 of 3 from Detroit. They lost 8 straight games and never recovered.