Chuckster70

Poll: Would you trade top prospect Jo Adell for Mike Clevinger?

Would you trade Jo Adell for Mike Clevinger?  

127 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you trade Jo Adell for Mike Clevinger?

    • Yes I would trade Adell for Clevinger
    • No I would not trade Adell for Clevinger
    • I would not trade Adell for anyone
    • Thanks, Jerry Dipoto


Recommended Posts

I think Adell for Clevinger is a perfect trade in that I could see both the Angels and Indians saying no.

While it would hurt to move Adell, such a great home grown prospect, I would do it for Clevinger. 3 years of control of a likely top 5 SP in baseball is exactly what this team needs right now. Having Rendon in the lineup for the next 7 years and Marsh right behind Adell makes the decision easier. 

I understand why the Angels FO and the fans on the other side of would say no to the trade (I would be content if they didn't make the trade) but I think Clevinger would put the Angels over the top this year and the near future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to look at it like this...are Angels better with Adell and no Clevinger or are they better with Clevinger and Marsh (to presumably take over RF when ready)?  I almost think Angels are better with Clevinger and Marsh but I’d just hate to see Adell become a stud for someone else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole story about Angels interest in Clevenger seems a little bit off to me.    I guess I find it hard to believe that they would let him go for anything less than Adell....and I don't think the Angels have any intention of letting Adell go.   So, why is this even a thing?

Does this just boil down to PR?  Kick the tires on a pretty good pitcher so we can say we tried?

 

EDIT:  I also want to add that I agree we shouldn't let Adell go for a player like Clevenger.    No prospect is a sure thing, but Adell looks like he could be a monster in RF (at controlled cost) for a very long time.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jordan said:

You have to look at it like this...are Angels better with Adell and no Clevinger or are they better with Clevinger and Marsh (to presumably take over RF when ready)?  I almost think Angels are better with Clevinger and Marsh but I’d just hate to see Adell become a stud for someone else. 

If we're just talking about 2020, then I might agree with you.    Adell could only have a minor impact, like Mike Trout did his rookie season  (.5 WAR)....or he could be a monster out of the gates like Albert was his rookie season  (6.6 WAR).    So, who the heck knows?

But, since we are all getting out the crystal balls....  In 2021 and beyond, Adell can be reasonably expected to give us the power in RF that we have been missing.   And, with some luck, we could have another superstar to go along with our slugging CF'er and 3B.     If that happens, say goodbye to our playoff drought.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony Two Bags said:

I think Adell for Clevinger is a perfect trade in that I could see both the Angels and Indians saying no.

While it would hurt to move Adell, such a great home grown prospect, I would do it for Clevinger. 3 years of control of a likely top 5 SP in baseball is exactly what this team needs right now. Having Rendon in the lineup for the next 7 years and Marsh right behind Adell makes the decision easier. 

I understand why the Angels FO and the fans on the other side of would say no to the trade (I would be content if they didn't make the trade) but I think Clevinger would put the Angels over the top this year and the near future. 

Totally agree.  I think people are overly discounting Clevinger bc he's not a household name and only has one 200 IP season so far.  His post-injury numbers last year were stupid good.  This skills are top 10 at worst. Add in the 3 more years of control and price that keeps Angels within luxury tax and you have the perfect fit for an ace.  He's arguably better than all but Cole and Degrom IF he puts together a full season.  I don't know how that doesn't cost at least Adell.

Plus trade value wise I can't imagine Adell's value could be any higher than right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Rally Gorilla said:

If we're just talking about 2020, then I might agree with you.    Adell could only have a minor impact, like Mike Trout did his rookie season  (.5 WAR)....or he could be a monster out of the gates like Albert was his rookie season  (6.6 WAR).    So, who the heck knows?

But, since we are all getting out the crystal balls....  In 2021 and beyond, Adell can be reasonably expected to give us the power in RF that we have been missing.   And, with some luck, we could have another superstar to go along with our slugging CF'er and 3B.     If that happens, say goodbye to our playoff drought.   

Yes in 2020, Clevinger would more than likely have a bigger impact than Adell for the Angels. Beyond that, Adell could out WAR Clevinger for many years. But with the Angels in such great need of front lines pitching, Clevinger could be more valuable for the Angels than Adell for several years. Then add Marsh, who has good upside, Clevinger +Marsh >Adell. I’m talking myself into this trade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, it boils down to this...what helps the angels win a title more, the next 3 years of Clevinger or the next 7 of Adell?
 

I’m torn, but the more I think about it, the more I think Clevinger will help more. 
 

This great class of Angels superstars is ready to win now. Clevinger is a win now player who fills the Angels greatest need today. Adell is a win soon-ish player, probably, but no guaranteed, who plays a position where the Angels have Marsh waiting in the wings. 
 

We have less clarity on where the angels will be in 3-5 years, and more clarity on the next two years. Clevinger should help more during that span. 
 

Imagine if the Angels don’t go all in during the next two years and don’t win, Trout and Rendon begin to decline, and then the MLB is locked out. A labor lockout isn’t a given, but it’s not far fetched either. Let’s win now while the stars are still stars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that trade is made, Clevinger probably undergoes TJ surgery after 5 starts. then his career goes down the tubes. This scenario reminds me of the Brunansky for Corbett trade. Pitchers are too unpredictable. They seem to fall off the cliff when you least expect them. Great one day  and terrible the next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this trade happens I think it’s gonna be a trade to haunt the Angels for years to come. I could see Clevinger blowing out his arm halfway through the season knowing our luck and Adell becoming a top 10 player in baseball. 
 

It’s a bad idea. We’ve been burned on so many prospect trades. Let’s not do it again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wopphil said:

No. I would cry watching him become a superstar for Cleveland. 

...... which would come full circle after what Clevinger did over there.

We should actually use that, and tell cleveland they dont need our number 1 guy. Hell, take Sandoval and turn him in to Clevinger. Hed just be Pat, here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, jordan said:

Yes in 2020, Clevinger would more than likely have a bigger impact than Adell for the Angels. Beyond that, Adell could out WAR Clevinger for many years. But with the Angels in such great need of front lines pitching, Clevinger could be more valuable for the Angels than Adell for several years. Then add Marsh, who has good upside, Clevinger +Marsh >Adell. I’m talking myself into this trade. 

I see that as the Angel's mistake over the years...a "winning now" philosophy that sees us shipping off most of our prospects....and, in the post-steroid era, that just doesn't work anymore.     We don't "win now" and it just digs us into a deeper hole.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most I would trade for Mike Clevinger is: One of Marsh or Adams One of Sandoval or Suarez +Soriano, Jackson or Rengifo & Thaiss. Thaiss is their 3B and Jose Ramirez can move to 2B. That's a load of talent going to Cleveland folks, not named Jo Adell. Get-r done Eppler!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also had a thought...Angels added Rendon pretty much unexpectedly and with him added a lot of offense we weren’t expecting out of current roster and were expecting with Adell.  Now that Angels have that in Rendon, the loss of Adell wouldn’t hurt quite as badly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming Angels don't do the trade now but Adell struggles mightily in his first cameo and Clevinger carries over what he did to close 2019 to 2020.  Would the Indians even do a 1 for 1 at that point?  Adell should be a beast without question - But this may be the only window to get an ace the level of Clevinger given the pre-MLB hype for Adell.

Gleyber Torres and Eloy Jimenez were both just as touted as Adell and were traded for far less than Clevinger for what that's worth.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.