• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Poll: Would you trade top prospect Jo Adell for Mike Clevinger?

Chuck

Would you trade Jo Adell for Mike Clevinger?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Jo Adell for Mike Clevinger?

• Yes I would trade Adell for Clevinger
    • No I would not trade Adell for Clevinger
    • I would not trade Adell for anyone
    • Thanks, Jerry Dipoto

It's honestly a huge risk - either way. 

On one hand, I don't know that we can afford to trade Adell, but on the other, I don't know that we can afford to not trade him. 

I guess it depends in part who the other player is. If the Angels got it to a straight one for one, that would simplify it.

Here's the thing: I'd be really frustrated about not getting to see Adell play for the Angels. It'd feel like trading Acuna or Soto, even though he probably won't be quite that good. 

Of course, Adell could end up being a bust. 

Or Clevinger could get injured and we've just given away a potential superstar for nothing. 

I don't really like Clevinger. He apparently cheated on his girlfriend and got in twitter spats with a reporter. He just comes across like a loser. I'm not sure that's a player I want on my team. I don't know that Arte does either. 

Having said all that, we need a top pitcher. I think our pitching staff over the next few years may contend, but we need a relatively sure thing. Ohtani may be that guy, but he won't pitch enough in 2020. Clevinger along with Ohtani in 2021, though? That could be special. We'd still have Trout, Rendon, and Marsh. 

The reality is we really need a front of the rotation type pitcher, and I don't see a clear path to getting one. We could obviously try a 2002 type approach - try to fill the rotation with solid guys who are not top pitchers - but that's not ideal for matching up with other top teams. Alternatively, we could hold on to our bullets and wait till midseason or after 2020 to see if Marsh or someone else breaks out and we then hopefully have other trade chips that could net that kind of return. That's also a big risk, though.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't want to move Adell, but if we do, I get it. And if we do, it better be the right guy.

32 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Before we consider anything drastic, let's see what Mickey Callaway can do with Barria, Canning, Sandoval, and Suarez.

There's really a lot to be said about this.

Also, Callaway could also boost Ohtani's game from the mound as well. Same with Heaney, Bundy & Teheran.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I voted yes as I think the Angels with Clevinger and Marsh are better than the Angels with Adell and Marsh.  

I think that's fair when you look at it that way. 

Also, we could use Marsh in RF and Adams in LF in addition to Trout. There's some talk that Jeremiah Jackson could eventually shift to the OF as well. Right now his tools are pretty close to Adell in terms of power, speed and athletic ability. 

Still, all of that said I really REALLY hate dealing a position player, especially one that possesses 5 tools for a guy that takes the ball every 5th day and has only pitched a full season of innings once in his career. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Ha. I think it would be one of those things where it's bittersweet to be honest. 

We added a much needed top of the rotation starter, but we traded away what could be a perennial All-Star. 

Yeah Truck it would be tough to swallow but luckily it won’t happen, so wedon’t have to worry too much about it. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

I voted yes as I think the Angels with Clevinger and Marsh are better than the Angels with Adell and Marsh.  

Is that also true in the out years somewhere around 2023 and on, when Adell is 23/24/25 years old and in his arb years and Clevinger is 31/32/33 years old and playing for the Yankees?

Or is the proposal here that we're trading Adell for Clevinger for 2020 only and then we swap 'em back for 2021?

A multi-millionaire baseball player cheated on his girlfriend? Shocking! Surely this has never happened before and will never happen again. I challenge many of the married men or people here in relationships to have a seemingly unlimited supply of gorgeous women lining up for you to stay faithful and not cheat. Especially when you rarely see your wife or S/O in the first place.

If people here judged sports players on their private lives, a lot of the great athletes would not be playing for your team. Look up Michael Jordan. See what kind of person he really is and was.

I don't know all the personal lives of current or past baseball players but I'm sure there are plenty of very highly skilled players that cheated multiple times on their wives or girlfriends.

I, personally, wouldn’t make this trade because I’d much rather see the Angels sign a good starter instead (oops, too late) or trade lesser prospect(s) for someone like Jon Gray, who isn’t THAT much inferior to Clevinger. Keep in mind that Clevinger will also turn 30 later on this year. Not saying he’ll decline over the next 3 years, but who knows.

The Angels can still make the postseason with a Jon Gray. I’d keep Adell and target someone like that.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don’t think the Indians would trade Mike Clevinger for Jo Adell either. They asked for Adell AND another player, which is because they’re still trying to win in 2020.

If Mike Clevinger was on the Tigers, they do an Adell-Clevinger swap straight up, easy. 

Truth. The Indians are in win-now mode, so they have no real reason to trade Clevinger unless they get an offer they can’t refuse....they’d have to be overwhelmed. I don’t think Eppler would trade Adell for Clevinger straight up, anyway. He seems close to untouchable. And an Adell for Buehler type swap would never happen, so...

1 hour ago, Tank said:

I wouldn't trade Adelll for Clevinger but I'd be willing to offer a combination of several other prospects and a couple of major leaguers to get him.

I’ve said this before but I think Marsh, Sandoval, Rengifo and Thaiss would be enough to get it done. If they really want to play hardball switch out Thaiss for La Stella.

A top 100 prospect, a pitcher with high upside, a middle infielder with high upside and an all star who had a breakout season should be enough to do it. If it doesn’t then move on. Adell is untouchable in my eyes unless it’s for Buehler.