• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If the Angels trade for an ACE

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

How about go after Hendricks And Contreras and take on Heyward to hold on to as much minor league talent as possible?

Heyward is massively overpaid but is now owed 4 years/92m.

Hendricks is owed 4/$55m.

Imagine if those two traded contracts.  Would you pay Hendricks the 4/92 owed to Heyward?  Heck yeah.

So then you have Heyward as your starting RF for now and then your fourth OF when Adell arrives basically at Hendricks cost of 4/$55m.

(if that was confusing sorry, trying to look at overall cost of the two players and view it as they swapped contracts)

Thats an expensive 4th OF but I can see this being a way to get a damn good pitcher.

Yea, I don’t think we are going to take on $35 million a year in payroll.  

4 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

How about go after Hendricks And Contreras and take on Heyward to hold on to as much minor league talent as possible?

Imagine if those two traded contracts.  Would you pay Hendricks the 4/92 owed to Heyward?  Heck yeah.

So then you have Heyward as your starting RF for now and then your fourth OF when Adell arrives basically at Hendricks cost of 4/$55m.

(if that was confusing sorry, trying to look at overall cost of the two players and view it as they swapped contracts)

Thats an expensive 4th OF but I can see this being a way to get a damn good pitcher.

No chance in hell the Angels take on all that money. NONE.

21 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea, I don’t think we are going to take on $35 million a year in payroll.  

Ok so how much could the Angels take on? That number dictates what you have to trade back.

Pick a combination that works.

Give them (pick your prospects) and make the money adjustment where what the Cubs pay is the fair amount to acquire those prospects.

Lets say the Angels get these players for $25m per year instead of $36m, and trade some prospects to make it happen.

You could keep Adell and Canning, end up with Hendricks and have a manageable payroll.

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Ok so how much could the Angels take on? That number dictates what you have to trade back.

Pick a combination that works.

Give them (pick your prospects) and make the money adjustment where what the Cubs pay is the fair amount to acquire those prospects.

Lets say the Angels get these players for $25m per year instead of $36m, and trade some prospects to make it happen.

You could keep Adell and Canning, end up with Hendricks and have a manageable payroll.

I guess my thought is if you are going to take on that much salary you should walk away with an Ace and not a #2.  I’m sure that is me being unrealistic but we would be basically paying $30 million a year for Hendricks and as good as he is he isn’t that good.  Also I was wrong it is about $40 million a year in Heyward, Contreras and Hendricks.

45 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

84D9D5CD-A2A9-44A3-8652-22C9D0D9B32F.gif

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I guess my thought is if you are going to take on that much salary you should walk away with an Ace and not a #2.  I’m sure that is me being unrealistic but we would be basically paying $30 million a year for Hendricks and as good as he is he isn’t that good.  Also I was wrong it is about $40 million a year in Heyward, Contreras and Hendricks.

Strad, I am saying take on the appropriate amount of salary for the players you acquire.

I know that Angels wanted an ace.  But let me remind you 48 hours ago people were panting to get Keuchel.  So I hardly think it’s a tragedy to get Hendricks.

What would Hendricks get as a free agent right now on a four year deal?

What would Heyward get?

Add up those two numbers and then negotiate what prospects have to change hands to make it make sense.

I dont think there is a combination at this point in terms of how much of someone else bad contract they would take on.  In recent posts they have said things like "if the price is right" yada yada... meaning any huge takes arent likely.  The only expectation might be a legit bona fide ace, but i dont see anyone trading those.

I dont think they could even if they wanted to, not in the numbers you guys are talking about.   At least in part because it isnt our only need since we still dont have a starting catcher.

The only way this works is some larger deal like Chi where we eat Heyward to get a P and Contreras, or maybe with SD where we eat Myers to get same with Hedges... something like that.

4 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

The better idea is leaving Heyward in Chicago.

I would 100% disagree.  I would rather have Hendricks for 4 years and an overpaid outfielder that still plays defense and is still a 2.0 WAR (overpaid but not a horrible player) than neither.

This team is a better team with Hendricks and Heyward period.  Way better.

2 minutes ago, Tank said:

I’m going to ban the next person who suggests we include Heyward in a trade. 

Because obviously all these other strategies to get a 30 year old controllable, good starting pitcher that throws 180-200 innings with an era in the mid 3’s seems like they are working out great.

22 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

The better idea is leaving Heyward in Chicago.

And leaving us without a pitching upgrade.  It cuts both ways you know.  
Im not wild about it either but at this point those are the kids of options on the table now that tghe FA main couse is gone

Just now, Lou said:

then you say no 

Why because you really really care what Jason Heyward gets paid?  I survived watching them pay Calhoun when he was about 10% better than me.  I have survived watching them pay Pujols.  I survived the Hamilton hit.  Etc etc.

I don’t care any more about what Heyward gets paid than I do about Cole getting $300+ million instead of $200+ million.

But I do care of the Angels have enough pitching.  At least this mini albatross would deliver something to the roster that the team really needs.

I'd do it. 

I don't think the Angels would, only because it completely blocks Adell for an entire year and they aren't going to pay a 4th outfielder $23 million for 3 years.

But it's just a thought. If we want to significantly improve the staff at this point we either hand over Adell and Marsh or take on an awful contract. When it's "not my money" I really don't give a shit.