• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If the Angels trade for an ACE

Probably not even with parting with at least two or even all of the three. Teams with true aces know the value of the commodity that they hold, and any trade will come at a high cost. In the trade market you eliminate any contending teams, and not a lot of awful teams are going to have an ace in the rotation (else they probably wouldn't be awful).

1 minute ago, Angels_Fan said:

Why are many people so adamant that Marsh not be traded? If the opportunity exists to trade Marsh (as a centerpiece) for a frontline starter with more than one year of club control, you take it.

What if you think Marsh is going to be a perennial all-star? Why would you do that for the chance to pay a lot of money to a guy for only 2 years?

Can they trade for someone that would meet the definition of the word ace without losing at least one of those three, no.
This is part of the reason im not on the "ace" train and am simply looking for someone that would assume a spot on top of our rotation without them being a so-called true "ace".

I could see parting with Marsh with Adams in the wings to assume Uptons role, but the other 2 for me are simply not available at this point.

2 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

What if you think Marsh is going to be a perennial all-star? Why would you do that for the chance to pay a lot of money to a guy for only 2 years?

That seems like a best case scenario. What are the odds of any of that happening? He’s hardly the only prospect with upside. Not that the prospect rankings matter too much, but how often do we see someone ranked as ‘low’ as he is end up becoming a perennial all-star?

1 minute ago, CanadianHalo said:

I’m completely cool with trading Marsh for pitching. 

A package of Marsh, Sandoval, Barria/Suarez, Jackson, Adams SHOULD be able to land us someone worth a damn.

The smart thing would have been to spend the money and keep the prospects.

Youd have to define what you mean by pitching.  This thread was about an ace, not just pitching.  
I for one have no interest is trading you guys that could be as good as whoever we trade them for in the next year or so, this isnt a win now or else scenario.  Its a take a large step forward scenario, make the playoffs even as a wild card, then move forward to challenge Hou.  
Were not going from doghouse to penthouse in one season without a ton of luck and develoment from the kids. 

7 minutes ago, Angels_Fan said:

That seems like a best case scenario. What are the odds of any of that happening? He’s hardly the only prospect with upside. Not that the prospect rankings matter too much, but how often do we see someone ranked as ‘low’ as he is end up becoming a perennial all-star?

It is, but what if he just becomes a Joc Pederson type. A nice player, sometimes flirts with being an all-star? A pitcher with two years left, no matter how good, is one pitch away from missing 2 years of time. Beyond that, there are plenty of veterans whose performance just drops off. David Price, Chris Sale, Chris Archer have all seen huge declines in production over their last two seasons. There's certainly less risk with MLB players, but it's still pretty high. I'm also not saying don't trade Marsh, just that it's not an automatic move.

1 minute ago, eaterfan said:

It is, but what if he just becomes a Joc Pederson type. A nice player, sometimes flirts with being an all-star? A pitcher with two years left, no matter how good, is one pitch away from missing 2 years of time. Beyond that, there are plenty of veterans whose performance just drops off. David Price, Chris Sale, Chris Archer have all seen huge declines in production over their last two seasons. There's certainly less risk with MLB players, but it's still pretty high. I'm also not saying don't trade Marsh, just that it's not an automatic move.

I’d take Chris Sale in a heartbeat.

1 minute ago, eaterfan said:

One has to give something to get something. Also, not every prospect pans out - most don’t. If Jon Gray, for instance, can be had for Marsh as the centerpiece of a deal, you take it.

People gotta get real.  It is potentially possible to land a big fish starter with multiple years of control without trading Adell.  It’s possible.

But then you have to actually pay a fair price.  The notion that Marsh shouldn’t be traded is borderline annoying.

Yes in a perfect world you keep Adell and Canning is arguably part of the long term pitching solution so I can see a GM holding some ground on keeping him.

But then that means you must trade many other valuable pieces.

You can’t get the pitcher the Angels need by giving up a dozen Hermosillos.

High quality, front of the rotation starter will cost high quality front of the pack prospects.

We gotta stop this fantasy that the Angels are going to land a premium controllable starter without trading away quality pieces.

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'd love to see this mythical list of "aces" that teams are just dying to get rid of.

The  type of pitcher that the Angels could land in a trade is not an "ace." Gray, Boyd, Ray...good pitchers, but  not "aces." Syndergaard and Bauer...ace-caliber pitchers, but with major red flags.

I wouldn’t include Gray in a sentence with Boyd. Gray actually gets results.