• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cole's Asking Price: Too steep, or too stupid to pass up?

Taylor

Gerrit Cole Monster Contract  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Gerrit Cole's rumored asking price is now 8+ years, $300+ million. Should the Angels play ball or move on?

• Give him whatever he's asking for.
    • Bow out and let the Yankees have him.

2 hours ago, True Grich said:

The price for elite players; especially elite pitching is always going to be too high.  I've said this before - this is the reality and the business of baseball today.  If you want to increase the chances of your team being in the post-season, this is the price you have to pay.  Gerrit Cole is a unique talent and one that doesn't become available every year. 

Mike Trout isn't getting any younger.  Arte Moreno isn't getting any younger.

It's time for the Angels to do everything they can to put the best possible team on the field.  The cost is "somewhat" irrelevant.  It's going on 18 years since the Angels won a World Series. 

Look at how much money that Nationals have tired up in Corbin, Scherzer and Strasburg.  They're willing to pay the price. 

Great pitching is the best recipe for success.  Cole is the best of the best right now.  He's not enough, but he's a start!

Regarding Nationals they have $8.5M tied up at CF, LF and SS while Angels have $71.7M. Plus Angels have $29M tied up at 1B. It makes financial sense they have spent what they have in pitching.

6 minutes ago, ksangel said:

Regarding Nationals they have $8.5M tied up at CF, LF and SS while Angels have $71.7M. Plus Angels have $29M tied up at 1B. It makes financial sense they have spent what they have in pitching.

The $29 million will be coming off the books soon for the Angels.

Plus.. The Nats need to add two corner infielders to their team and that's likely to cost. 

It's all relative.  I stand by my statement that pitching is always going to be key.  It needs to be a priority.  It's the hardest commodity to come by.

Cole's price is probably affordable for the Angels. The fan gripes about dead money probably wouldn't begin until year 4 or later. 

But the Angels ARE a team with more than one big hole. They lost 90 games last season. Minus Cole they have a 12 man rotation averaging 12-15 starts apiece. Shohei has yet to prove durability, it must be noted.

If Cole is down to the Angels and Yankees, the Yankees are ready-made contenders and look to be that way for several seasons to come. I noticed how many Yankees and Red Sox games are scheduled by ESPN through the All-Star break. I noticed how many Angels appearances are scheduled. (LOL with tears .)

Please, Gerrit, return to your OC roots anyway. Turn from the temptations of the Big City. Buy a Saturday LA Times and check out the beach mansion bargains around Laguna. $43 million with sand? Sweet.

Putting this into perspective:

Out of all teams who have appeared in the World Series in the last 20 years, only two (2007 Rockies & 2011 Cardinals) have had ERA+ team leaders under 120.

Since 2011 , the Angels have had a total of 4 pitchers overall (Barria in 2018, Nolasco in 2016, Richards in 2014 & Weaver in 2011 & 2012) with an ERA+ of 120+.

Cole's career ERA+ is 127. The last two years have been at 144 & 185. The Angels have not seen a pitcher above 144 since Weaver in 2011.

Arte wants to win a WS.  He did what needed to be done to sign Mike Trout.  He just bought the stadium from the Anaheim. The man is willing to spend money.  He hasn't always spent it wisely, but he's not afraid to dish out the cash.  All these clowns who think the Yankees won't be denied, have no idea who Arte Moreno is.  This man holds grudges.  This man makes emotional decisions.  This man wants to win.   This man is a freakin' pit bull.  Josh Hamilton stepped over the line and Arte cut him lose like he was yesterday's garbage.  You think Arte cares about the money?  Arte cares about winning and he cares about the people who are loyal and have character.  That's why Albert is still here.  Arte made Albert a part of his family.  He isn't retiring early and Arte isn't going to ask him to do anything like that.  He's willing to roll with Albert because he made him a part of this family.  You can say a lot of things about Arte, but the man is stone cold loyal.  Mike Scioscia ring a bell?

Mike Trout didn't have to sign an extension.  He made a commitment to play here because he believed in the plan and the commitment the team has to winning.  Arte is going to repay that loyalty by doing whatever it takes to put a winner around him.  Trout stayed because he believed in Arte Moreno.  Moreno isn't going to forget that.

Have some of you forgotten that Trout is the best player of this generation and possibly the greatest player of all time?  The Angels have to put a better cast around him.  They don't have a choice. This isn't business for Arte.  It's personal.  F the Yankees. F the Dodgers.  Arte is worth billions. That's billions with an S at the end.  He can do this.  He wants to do this. 

This is all just my opinion, obviously.

We all know that signing Cole and Rendon and whoever else isn't a guarantee at all.  What it is - is showing us his commitment to winning.  Maybe he doesn't get his ring, but it won't be for a lack of trying and that's all any fan base can ask for.  Stuff happens.  Players fail. Bad luck hits the fan every now and then.  We are freakin' lucky to have Arte as the owner of our favorite team.  Anyone who questions his commitment to winning is an idiot. 

4 minutes ago, True Grich said:

We all know that signing Cole and Rendon and whoever else isn't a guarantee at all.  What it is - is showing us his commitment to winning.  Maybe he doesn't get his ring, but it won't be for a lack of trying and that's all any fan base can ask for.  Stuff happens.  Players fail. Bad luck hits the fan every now and then.  We are freakin' lucky to have Arte as the owner of our favorite team.  Anyone who questions his commitment to winning is an idiot. 

People around here talk like Arte is Jeter or something. We have a pretty awesome owner.

41 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Arte wants to win a WS.  He did what needed to be done to sign Mike Trout.  He just bought the stadium from the Anaheim. The man is willing to spend money.  He hasn't always spent it wisely, but he's not afraid to dish out the cash.  All these clowns who think the Yankees won't be denied, have no idea who Arte Moreno is.  This man holds grudges.  This man makes emotional decisions.  This man wants to win.   This man is a freakin' pit bull.  Josh Hamilton stepped over the line and Arte cut him lose like he was yesterday's garbage.  You think Arte cares about the money?  Arte cares about winning and he cares about the people who are loyal and have character.  That's why Albert is still here.  Arte made Albert a part of his family.  He isn't retiring early and Arte isn't going to ask him to do anything like that.  He's willing to roll with Albert because he made him a part of this family.  You can say a lot of things about Arte, but the man is stone cold loyal.  Mike Scioscia ring a bell?

Mike Trout didn't have to sign an extension.  He made a commitment to play here because he believed in the plan and the commitment the team has to winning.  Arte is going to repay that loyalty by doing whatever it takes to put a winner around him.  Trout stayed because he believed in Arte Moreno.  Moreno isn't going to forget that.

Have some of you forgotten that Trout is the best player of this generation and possibly the greatest player of all time?  The Angels have to put a better cast around him.  They don't have a choice. This isn't business for Arte.  It's personal.  F the Yankees. F the Dodgers.  Arte is worth billions. That's billions with an S at the end.  He can do this.  He wants to do this. 

This is all just my opinion, obviously.

I agree.  With Arte buying the stadium and land, he is a network away from building a financial empire similar to the Yankees.  Arte may never generate the revenue that the Yankees can but he might become a major thorn in their side.

44 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I agree.  With Arte buying the stadium and land, he is a network away from building a financial empire similar to the Yankees.  Arte may never generate the revenue that the Yankees can but he might become a major thorn in their side.

I wonder if the fact that that deal just got resolved (apparently at a nice price for Arte) gives him flexibility to splurge. 

1 minute ago, Sean-Regan said:

I wonder if the fact that that deal just got resolved (apparently at a nice price for Arte) gives him flexibility to splurge. 

I am only guessing, but I can imagine Arte defraying much of the stadium and land costs through business partnerships through development and mutually beneficial projects.  Owning the stadium and land really changes everything for the Angels.

I think Arte splurges at the right prices.....he did not make billions by over-paying.  I wonder if the imposed budgets up to this point allows him to be in a position to spend gobs of money?

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

If Arte really cared about winning, his team would have been to the playoffs more than once in the 2010's and certainly wouldn't have gotten swept in the first round in their only appearance.

No, even i have wanted him to be more aggressive and i don buy that.  This year is different, the parts are out there, im not sure we can say that about previous years even though im sure i tried to at some point.. its undeniable now.

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

If Arte really cared about winning, his team would have been to the playoffs more than once in the 2010's and certainly wouldn't have gotten swept in the first round in their only appearance.

F'n arte.

Now replace arte with trout...

If trout cared about winning, he wouldnt have been a dud in that one playoff appearance.

1 minute ago, beatlesrule said:

Arte hasn't gone all out every year and put together the absolute best team to make the playoffs so yeah, he doesn't really care that much about winning. Facts are facts. I don't care if you don't agree with facts.

Calling your opinions "facts" is a good way to be a blast at parties.

6 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Arte hasn't gone all out every year and put together the absolute best team to make the playoffs so yeah, he doesn't really care that much about winning. Facts are facts. I don't care if you don't agree with facts.

And again, the fact is trout was a no show against KC. What does it say about his commitment?

Trout has also missed time the last three seasons.... is he not committed?