• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cole's Asking Price: Too steep, or too stupid to pass up?

Taylor

Gerrit Cole Monster Contract  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Gerrit Cole's rumored asking price is now 8+ years, $300+ million. Should the Angels play ball or move on?

• Give him whatever he's asking for.
    • Bow out and let the Yankees have him.

1 hour ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Ive anticipated this excuse for a long time. It’s already started. Cole’s mediocre performance is better than any other Angels pitcher so he’s worth the 10 year contract. That’s the BS superfan narrative we’re going to have to endure for the next decade just as we’ve done with Pujols. 

and yes, Cole was a #4 in 2017. 

The difference between Cole and Pujols isn’t even comparable. Cole has put up two great seasons in a row, including this past year which was one of the most dominant ever. He’s still young and doesn’t have a major injury track record. There are no signs of him falling off a cliff like Pujols had before we signed him. 

Cole is a generational type of ace you build your staff around. The same shit was said about Max Scherzer and Verlander; they’re still dominant pitchers well into their mid 30s. 

Plus to offset Cole, we free up close to $90 million over the next 3 years or so; not including any trades we may make to get out from some contracts. It has nothing to do with being a super fan, and everything to do with turning the corner as a franchise and taking the next step towards contention and not being afraid to spend money. 

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Explain pls

Kinda like what @aznhockeyguy was saying...if Cole costs so much that Eppler can’t really add much else, it becomes insanely risky. If he snaps a UCL or experiences some post-Astro regression, there ain’t much we can do to fix it except count on kids and waiver claims again.

Now, it’s totally plausible Arte really does blow up payroll for a year or two, or Eppler pulls off a hell of a trade or two to supplement, I don’t doubt that, but if Cole’s price tag is so great that our offseason tops off of at Cole, Bundy, and Maldonado with minimal room to again add next year, I’m not sure it’s worth it. 

That said, I still think we sign him and I’d be a-okay with it. 

Edited by totdprods

17 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

This is hilarious to compare with last summer when everyone thought Cole was only maybe worth just a little more than Corbin.

That was me.  For me it wasn’t what he was worth but what had happened to the market the last two years before this year. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Also can we please stop thinking an Ace only helps you win games that he pitches?  An Ace saves your bullpen which keeps them fresh to help throughout the week.  It truly feels like this is something being overlooked.  

Yes but 2 plan B types will save the bullpen 56.8654% more so that's the way we should go.

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Also can we please stop thinking an Ace only helps you win games that he pitches?  An Ace saves your bullpen which keeps them fresh to help throughout the week.  It truly feels like this is something being overlooked.  

Also the invaluable coaching and makeup some like Cole, which I do think Madbum has, would teach our young arms. 

18 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

You're forgetting that if we sign two "plan B" types that one of them is just as likely to blow out their UCL and we're in the same spot.

Injuries are a risk for anyone. Can you imagine if Trout broke his leg in ST? 

I’m not forgetting that. What’s there to forget? You’d  need two pitchers to blow their arm out to bring us back to where we started. 

If Cole is literally an all eggs in one basket outcome, it’s pretty worrisome. Hopefully that’s not how it goes.

2 hours ago, RBM said:

Verlander will turn 37 during spring training. He was 21-6 with a 2.53 ERA, 300 K’s and 223 IP this year. 

He bangs kate upton.

Every man (and woman) alive who did that once, but more so, consistently, could accomplish great feats.

I almost think she should bang us all for world peace, and the end of famines.

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Cole averaged a bit over 6.42 innings per start last season.

Mad Bum: 6.08

Strasburg: 6.33

Wheeler: 6.30

Ryu: 6.30

Roark: 5.33

Tehran: 5.28

I will give you that Cole did it in the AL and the other pitchers I listed did it in the NL where they face the pitcher, but also sometimes a NL starter's start is cut short due to a prime pinch hitting opportunity. 

Angels starters including openers: 4.2 with 27 opener starts. 

Angels really need more than 1 starter to give them innings. If the Angels had 3-4 solid starters than I would say go sign Cole but the Angels need more than 1 at this point.  Also with Ohtani returning they need 6 starters instead of 5 in the rotation.  All the more reason to get more than 1 starter.

300 mill is pretty much way too expensive for a pitcher.

It pretty much is for almost everyday player, too.

That said..... if the difference between getting him and not is 50 mill, spread over 7 years.... you sign the guy.

7/250 wed all be stoked. Would 7/300 be all that much different?

so what's really the concern here?  

are we trying to preserve what happens nine years from now?  

If you think that needs to be the plan, then I've got nothing.  Because isn't that what we're talking about?  7/230 vs. 9/300 doesn't change anything over the next 7 years for either of those contracts.  

It doesn't really matter.  One way or another, whatever Eppler does better fucking work over the next 7 years or so.  Sign Cole.  Sign Madbum.  Sign Ryu.  Trade for this slap dick prospect or trade for that noodle are SOB.  

When are you playing for?  Not what.  Or who.  But when.  Which guy makes that the right choice?  Is it two guys or even three.  

That's not for me to decide.  Or for anyone else to.  At some point you have to get it right and it's time for Billy to start getting it right.  I don't care whether we sign Cole at this point, but if you don't, you better do so other shit instead that will help this team win.  

At some point it doesn't matter anymore about the who.  Just get it right.  

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

The numbers being discussed are not in line with Sabermetric value for a pitcher his age, with that much usage and the years to play out the contract. I don't think Eppler is in on this anymore. 

The Angels are in on him even at these prices. It’s happening. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

The numbers being discussed are not in line with Sabermetric value for a pitcher his age, with that much usage and the years to play out the contract. I don't think the Yankees are in on this anymore. 

It’s Arte’s decision to make. The prices that are being discussed are all overpays. The Yankees are in it publicly but not privately. Cole will be coming to Anaheim.