• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels to interview Maddon

Fullmer17

Two sides to the story.

What do the Angels want/expect from him? What does he want/expect to do with them? 

Looking from his perspective, what would be appealing? 

Location and organizational familiarity. Basic things beyond the job itself. And probably a nice increase in salary/future benefits.

Managing Trout might just be all anyone could desire. The intrigue of Ohtani's potential. Presiding over Pujols career closure. Trout and Pujols may arguably end up amongst the top ten/twenty players in history. Ohtani potentially a one of a kind phenomena. Just as a veteran manager he might like to experience something unique.

That's just the icing on the cake. But the real work is turning the team into contenders. 

That implies being in sync and on the same page as Eppler as they evaluate the roster and formulate a philosophy that works for both of them. Without that shared approach, there could be friction along the way.

Maddon has seen it all. Small market anonymity and big market intense fan base. He succeeded both ways. .

The roster obviously is a work in progress. He knows it will take work, time and patience. But also needs signs of immediate progress. Realistically, with some solid off season changes and a healthy core, reaching .500 next season is attainable. Eppler has to provide an improved talent mix. Especially on the mound. 

In Chicago he had more pieces in place and was the missing factor that got the best from that talent. Tampa was a harder, year by year scramble, but he worked within their philosophy and kept them over achieving. 

The Angels would be a new challenge, but a potentially rewarding way to end his career. 

What do the Angels want? 

A winner. A proven winner in recent years who is comfortable with old and new school input. Hopefully not the time for experimenting with a hotshot young up and coming manager who is generating buzz. Another time but not now. 

Seems like a good fit, but never assume the obvious.

I feel like we know how this goes...

Arte: Joe, I want to thank you for coming by to talk with Billy and I. I'll cut right to the chase, I want to win, right freakin now, and I want you to lead them.

Joe: let's win then....

Billy: Joe can I get your philosophy on...

Arte: Not now Billy. Now Joe let's talk figures. I'll pay you three million a year for three years.

Billy: But Arte....

Joe: That's a fine offer Arte, but you see the Padres....

Arte: Don't have Mike Trout or Shohei Ohtani.

Joe: Deal.

13 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

The roster obviously is a work in progress. He knows it will take work, time and patience. But also needs signs of immediate progress. Realistically, with some solid off season changes and a healthy core, reaching .500 next season is attainable. Eppler has to provide an improved talent mix. Especially on the mound. 

The roster just needs pitching and it can be pretty solid. This seems like a post that would have made sense 3 years ago. reaching .500 next season should be a failure of a season. We should be around 85 wins next year.

The goal for 2020 better not be "just to get to .500."

If that's the goal, that is a catastrophic failure. This team was supposed to be positioned to contend in '20. Sure, we're probably not going to beat the Astros, but we have to assemble a team that can try to beat them. At this point, all it should really take is money. We'll see how committed Arte is by what the Angels do in the FA market. That includes managers.