• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels fire Brad Ausmus

mmc

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Ausmus isn't the first Halos manager to be let go after just one year.    Del Rice (1972) and Cookie Rojas (1988) were also fired after it.    Don't remember if they had multi year deals though, when they were let go. 

I don't think anybody had a mult-year deal in those days...

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Ausmus isn't the first Halos manager to be let go after just one year.    Del Rice (1972) and Cookie Rojas (1988) were also fired after it.    Don't remember if they had multi year deals though, when they were let go. 

Del Rice sounds like a country-western singer. 

Cookie Rojas was one of my favorite players growing up in Philadelphia. He could play almost any position. His son, of course, is our Victor Rojas.

There is no way Eppler would have fired Brad after one season because he was Eppler's guy.  Eppler trained him for a year in analytics, brought in a coaching staff that were analytic based and that is exactly how Brad managed this team.  Whether we liked how Brad managed or not, the way Brad managed the team was part of Eppler's vision.  It sure as hell wasn't Brad's fault the Angels off-season moves tanked, they had a ton of injuries to key players, a player death and had to bring up young pitchers before they were ready.  Eppler's goals have always been a couple years out and he would have stuck with Brad.

This decision has Arte written all over it.  It has been rumored for weeks now that Maddon's time with the Cubs was over and I'd bet that Arte told Eppler that if Maddon becomes a free agent, Brad was gone and Joe was coming back.  We just need to hope that Arte realizes changing the manager won't mean anything if he doesn't open that wallet, go over the competitive balance tax and bring in the talent needed in 2020 to turn the Angels into competitors. 

C5-6VKCL_reasonably_small.jpg

The Angels have fired Brad Ausmus after only one season as their manager, according to @Buster_ESPN

This strikes me as a decision made above Billy Eppler, who is heading into the final year of his contract as Angels GM. Joe Maddon seems like the logical replacement.
Edited by VariousCrap

2 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27737176

The Angels' offseason will include a feverish pursuit of starting pitching, negotiations on a new stadium deal, potential litigation surrounding Tyler Skaggs' death, and now, the pursuit of a new manager, potentially Joe Maddon.

It's a hell of a day at sea sir!

Things weren't working, and the easiest thing to do is fire the manager. Happens all the time everywhere. 

Kind of odd that there will be three different managers in three straight seasons. After two decades of predictable continuity. So this time it has to be a long term commitment if the franchise is to build a stable foundation. Better be a sound choice that the players are enthusiastic about and fans support. 

You often see a team immediately go after a fired coach (in every sport) who has proven past success. Even mid season. The reason for their current firing is minimized and their past success inflated. It isn't a simple equation, but emotion usually favors the most optimistic projections. 

I wonder how much input the veteran players had in their end of season discussions? Certainly you would think Eppler would value candid opinions from Trout, Pujols, and other respected personnel. Or is it just Eppler and/or Arte? Seems like it was already decided before the season ended. 

But maybe they moved this quickly when Maddon became available? Pittsburgh fired Hurdle the last day of the season, and other league wide moves are underway. Timing is critical.

Curious to see how Ohtani in particular adjusts. In three years it will be three managers. Plus some significant injuries. How he's handled has been a delicate question, and coming back from two injuries at the same time muddies the water. Will a new manager tweak his two way usage? Will Eppler meddle into managerial decisions? What about philosophies of potential new pitching and/or hitting coaches? 

Once we know for sure who manages and coaches we can project past patterns into the future. And there will be a full off season of speculation about everything. 

4 hours ago, floplag said:

Not surprising.  I dont blame him for the record or the season but i also dont think he showed anything or gave any indication of being a guy this team would follow.  He followed the script, little more.  
I think the choice in successor will tell us a lot about the clubs direction.

Bingo 

I have been on the managers don't win but 1-5 games a year thing for a while. The players on the roster win games. That being said. Ausmus hasn't done much of anything as a manager and if you can hire someone who's won a WS or been there then that's an upgrade in my book, and if you can upgrade even if it's by a small margin you do it. This is sports it's about winning and losing. Now let's see who the hire to replace him. 

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

This just shows more of the dysfunction of this franchise. Eppler hires his buddy as the manager for 3 years and fires him after 1. Most here think this is all Arte so once again, the people he employs to make the right moves aren't making the right moves. If he did indeed fire Ausmus and Eppler is the one that hired him, why would he then pick up Epplers option?

This stands out to me IMHO. Eppler wants to keep his job, and if he (or even along with Arte) saw Ausmus as the wrong guy going forward, and not what he thought Ausmus could be, getting a shiny new respected manager with savvy and experience would become an obvious choice.

2 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

If that has any bearing at all, it would be that Arte feels if something like that was going on with training staff, Ausmus should’ve known. about it and handled it. Ausmus’ unawareness of what was going on in his clubhouse apparently could be something Arte holds him responsible for. 

Fair point, perhaps that fact that it happened at all was damning.