• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels fire Brad Ausmus

mmc

Managers are hired to be fired. That is just the business. Brad seemed like he was competent, but not exceptional or intuitive. Too much preset formula style managing without a deep feel for the moment and the ebbs and flow of a game. Oh well, he will be financially comfortable and land somewhere else eventually.

If it is Maddon, it means more than just managing at the beginning of his tenure.

Credibility and appeal for free agents deciding on different teams with their positives and negatives.

A long track record as a winner who instills confidence that he will turn team fortunes around.

And his associates. Managers usually bring some of their trusted assistants and position coaches with them. Assuming Eppler gives him authority to create his own staff then we probably will see some new faces. Not sure of his favorites, but he (or anyone else) will want familiarity and loyalty on the bench. 

Good PR. After this tragic and depressing season a Maddon or equally prestigious manager will immediately instill a positive attitude for fans and franchise. The idea of starting a new chapter for the team applies perfectly. 

It buys some time. No one expects instant magic, but seeing evidence that things are on the right (or at least better) path provides for some optimism.

Since he only wants to manage 3 - 5 years according to statements then it really is a perfect window for where the franchise stands. Long enough to demonstrate a solid turnaround, and enough time to prepare for the future beyond. 

I expect that if he is hired soon it really boosts the Angels chances when free agency begins.

3 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

And his associates. Managers usually bring some of their trusted assistants and position coaches with them. Assuming Eppler gives him authority to create his own staff then we probably will see some new faces. Not sure of his favorites, but he (or anyone else) will want familiarity and loyalty on the bench. 

An automatic would have been Dave Martinez in the past.    But he was successful this season managing the Nats, post-Harper. 

11 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

but I don't think that's why he was fired. 

Again, if he was divisive or word got around to Eppler and Arte that his style was toxic, I have no problem with that but usually word seeps out that there is conflict in the rumor mill or there tell-tale twitter posts about "inside sources" whispering of discord but I didn't see/hear any of this.

Just feels like Arte is chasing a "name" manager, which is his right to do, but I'm ambivalent overall.  

LAT: Maddon is interested in Angels job

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2019-09-30/angels-fire-manager-brad-ausmus-joe-maddon-expresses-immediate-interest-in-job

"

Maddon is interested in the position, according to a person who has spoken with him.

Maddon joined the Rays after working in the Angels organization for three decades. He was the Angels’ bench coach under Mike Scioscia in 2002, when the team won its only World Series championship. Maddon last worked for the Angels in 2005, but he still owns a home in Long Beach.

"

I honestly think it may just be a personality thing.  Obviously we don't get to see what a manager is like in the clubhouse but man Ausmus put out all the personality of a fire hydrant...   To go from Scioscia to Ausmus just felt like a void.  Say what you will about MS sticking to his book of cliches, when the dude did actually say something people listened.  Ausmus was a human sleeping pill to me.

12 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Again, if he was divisive or word got around to Eppler and Arte that his style was toxic, I have no problem with that but usually word seeps out that there is conflict in the rumor mill or there tell-tale twitter posts about "inside sources" whispering of discord but I didn't see/hear any of this.

Just feels like Arte is chasing a "name" manager, which is his right to do, but I'm ambivalent overall.  

Maybe they're thinking with [Maddon] they have a better chance of bringing in the top free agents this offseason.

At this point, Angels absolutely have to sign Maddon...Joe Girardi, Buck Showalter, John Farrell and Ron Washington...sheesh

Girardi and Farrell both won relatively early in their tenures, Girardi his 2nd year and Farrell his first year, and never crossed the finish line again. Ron Washington was known for being "wide awake" for his two World Series losses. Showalter is known for his former teams usually winning as soon as he left.

28 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Again, besides his manager decisions which you and I disagree on (I think he's awful across the board), if he's truly a shit inside the clubhouse or toward upper management, why wouldn't he be fired?

Based on the roster he was given, I agree that he shouldn't take the blame and get the boot, but I don't think that's why he was fired. 

Maybe we'll never know. Maybe we will later like we did with Dipoto vs. Sosh/Arte. 

Could be that he lost the clubhouse at a certain point.  It happened when Terry Collins was the manager.

I wonder if this is a direct order from Arte. If so, he might be realizing that he's got Trout in a prime position and he needs to do everything possible. With money becoming available I wonder if he'll also expand the budget a little more to get this team going. 

Joe Maddon is likely one of the most favorited managers by players in all of baseball. His personality could vibe very well back at the Big A.