• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell ranked as the #2 rated prospect in Baseball (per BA)

Chuck

12 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Glad he's listed at number two..   Angels have done okay with the the last two guys ranked second overall....   Shohei Ohtani and Michael Nelson Trout.

Shohei Ohtani was #1, pretty sure Trout was at one time also by MLB at least.

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

Every single last bust has a few things in common. The first being that there was hype, the second is that they failed to meet that hype, and the third is that there was always one glaring weakness that they were unable to fix or an injury.

If we trace back their minor league careers, these glaring weaknesses were small things they could potentially work on, but they were so talented it didn't amount to anything. 

Billy Hamilton, not enough bat. Lack of discipline. Delmon Young, lack of walks, character flaw. Corey Patterson, slow to adjust. Mark Prior, injury, etc...

The only one that sticks out with no discernible shortcoming was Brandon Wood. Nothing about his minor league resume suggested that he would be that bad in the majors. But that in and of itself was it. He never experienced failure before. He got to the major leagues and mentally couldn't navigate it. But that, you can never predict. 

Literally, the only thing I can think of that would prevent Adell from being incredibly successful in the major leagues is his plate discipline, but even that has improved, even against better competition, so it doesn't hold up. And mentally, he's an intelligent man with an inner drive and confidence to him that stars have. 

In the most non-bias opinion I can offer, Jo Adell is the real deal. This kid is going to be incredible. A young Matt Kemp. The party that no one realizes is that he's played the last 8 years of his career with an injured or non-functioning or weakened lower half, and has still managed to remain semi-productive. But before his legs were gone, Kemp was the best player in baseball for a couple years.

Now obviously the was no Mike Trout to be compared to back then, but that's who I envision Jo Adell being. Hopefully a healthier Matt Kemp.

Edited by Second Base

6 hours ago, True Grich said:

@Chuckster70 I thought it was revhalo who tried to get you fired?

He did too. Same result as Stephen Smith though, thankfully. Rev Halofan 4-5 years later sent me a letter of apology, which I accepted. 

My Mama Fusco always said, "honey if you're doing something right you can expect opposition and downright nasty behavior from those opposing you."

5 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

He was #2 to Ronald Acuna on Baseball America. 

It was Acuna, Ohtani and Vlad Jr., but the consensus from the writers was that either one could arguably be #1.

Adell's soon to be teammate on the active roster who was red hot before he suffered an ankle injury will hopefully be back soon.

Maybe this was Marsh's response to being removed from BA's top 100 prospects list yesterday. The injury cost him from staying in the top 100, but that can change soon if he's back and doing what he was doing prior to the injury.

Comparing someone like Brandon Wood to Adell is comparing apples to oranges.  Wood was a top prospect and dominating the minors a year or two before the Mitchell Report came out.  I am not saying Wood was juicing, but stuff was going around all over the minors.  So, any stat from that era I take with a grain of salt.  Yes, it is theoretically possible Adell could crap himself and flame out.  It is much more probable, however, that at a minimum he turns out to be somewhere between an above average outfielder with pop and a perennial all-star.  The biggest question about Adell coming out of the draft was his ability to hit for average.  But, thus far he's show he can hit for average.  I imagine he'll be a bit shell shocked when he first gets to the majors, but he'll settle in shortly. 

7 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

?

The topic is ranked number 2 by Baseball America.... Thus my response.

Neither Trout not Ohtani were ranked number 1.   Trout was second to Bryce Harper in 2011. http://thebaseballcube.com/prospects/byYear.asp?Y=2011&Src=BA  Ohtani was second to Ronald Acuna jr. in 2018. http://thebaseballcube.com/prospects/byYear.asp?Y=2018&Src=BA

So, nope.

Edited by Inside Pitch

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

?

The topic is ranked number 2 by Baseball America.... Thus my response.

Neither Trout not Ohtani were ranked number 1.   Trout was second to Bryce Harper in 2011. http://thebaseballcube.com/prospects/byYear.asp?Y=2011&Src=BA  Ohtani was second to Ronald Acuna jr. in 2018. http://thebaseballcube.com/prospects/byYear.asp?Y=2018&Src=BA

So, nope.

I said both were ranked #1 by MLB.com, that's all. Not disputing your baseball America claim.

https://www.mlb.com/news/when-they-were-prospects-mike-trout/c-107660672

Mike Trout, OF, Angels
No. 1 on 2011 Top 50

image.png

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Adell's soon to be teammate on the active roster who was red hot before he suffered an ankle injury will hopefully be back soon.

Maybe this was Marsh's response to being removed from BA's top 100 prospects list yesterday. The injury cost him from staying in the top 100, but that can change soon if he's back and doing what he was doing prior to the injury.

Glad that Marsh is extra motivated, but how do you call someone's bluff if they fold?  

12 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Also, my son and his fiance are having a child in early July (in Vegas). Hell yeah, Grandpa F'n Chuck is on deck. lol 

RIGHT ON CHUCK! Congrats! I became one 4 years ago, now I'm one 3x. Had the little boogers over this last weekend for some fun in the sun in Grandpa's pool. No worries, these kids will be Angels fans!!!!

13 hours ago, Second Base said:

Every single last bust has a few things in common. The first being that there was hype, the second is that they failed to meet that hype, and the third is that there was always one glaring weakness that they were unable to fix or an injury.

If we trace back their minor league careers, these glaring weaknesses were small things they could potentially work on, but they were so talented it didn't amount to anything. 

Billy Hamilton, not enough bat. Lack of discipline. Delmon Young, lack of walks, character flaw. Corey Patterson, slow to adjust. Mark Prior, injury, etc...

The only one that sticks out with no discernible shortcoming was Brandon Wood. Nothing about his minor league resume suggested that he would be that bad in the majors. But that in and of itself was it. He never experienced failure before. He got to the major leagues and mentally couldn't navigate it. But that, you can never predict. 

Literally, the only thing I can think of that would prevent Adell from being incredibly successful in the major leagues is his plate discipline, but even that has improved, even against better competition, so it doesn't hold up. And mentally, he's an intelligent man with an inner drive and confidence to him that stars have. 

In the most non-bias opinion I can offer, Jo Adell is the real deal. This kid is going to be incredible. A young Matt Kemp. The party that no one realizes is that he's played the last 8 years of his career with an injured or non-functioning or weakened lower half, and has still managed to remain semi-productive. But before his legs were gone, Kemp was the best player in baseball for a couple years.

Now obviously the was no Mike Trout to be compared to back then, but that's who I envision Jo Adell being. Hopefully a healthier Matt Kemp.

Maybe my memory is just this bad, but I remember there being a few warning signs with Wood (long swing, wouldn't layoff pitches and couldn't recognize them even if he wanted to).

And, of course, the fact that he could have been called "Dick Wood" and refused to do so.

17 hours ago, Second Base said:

Wood had more than a few red flags. The first was the lingering question about his ability to stick at short long term. The second was his inability to build on his A+/AFL break out when promoted to AA. The real big one though was his troubling performance in AAA  Salt Lake that earned him a trip back to AA. Looking back on his career I see a player who, for whatever reason, had a career year at age 20, against low level competition. This, along with his first round draft status catapulted him to the top of the prospect charts, and started up the hype train that had trouble slowing down even as his performance did.

Someone mentioned steroids, and who the heck knows, but when I saw him play in MLB I saw a guy with a long swing, an inability to hit a breaking ball and a terrible eye at the plate. These are things you don't have to worry about in A ball.