• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell ranked as the #2 rated prospect in Baseball (per BA)

Chuck

1 minute ago, Lou said:

MLB.com is the new Bleacher Report

Seriously. 

I don't know how they can rank a pitcher of a position player in Franco/Adell who can do it all on the field, doing it every game, not every 5 days. 

Dumb.

3 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Wood had more than a few red flags. The first was the lingering question about his ability to stick at short long term. The second was his inability to build on his A+/AFL break out when promoted to AA. The real big one though was his troubling performance in AAA  Salt Lake that earned him a trip back to AA. Looking back on his career I see a player who, for whatever reason, had a career year at age 20, against low level competition. This, along with his first round draft status catapulted him to the top of the prospect charts, and started up the hype train that had trouble slowing down even as his performance did.

Someone mentioned steroids, and who the heck knows, but when I saw him play in MLB I saw a guy with a long swing, an inability to hit a breaking ball and a terrible eye at the plate. These are things you don't have to worry about in A ball.

It appears you and I remember Brandon Wood's development quite differently. 

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

It appears you and I remember Brandon Wood's development quite differently. 

There was a lot of hype for a long time, but by the time he got his first real shot in MLB I don’t think we should have been expecting big things from him anymore. 

10 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Seriously. 

I don't know how they can rank a pitcher of a position player in Franco/Adell who can do it all on the field, doing it every game, not every 5 days. 

Dumb.

No offense, but I have always hated this line of reasoning. Position players do play everyday, but in practice they affect a smaller percentage of each game. A quality starting pitcher may not effect 4 of 5 games at all, but they are hyper responsible for that one game.

While I have never seen a study on this, I would imagine that over the course of a season that position players in general probably have an advantage in overall impact on the season over pitchers in general. However, that is *not* the same thing as "value."  There are, by default, fewer starting pitchers in general than position players. Good starting pitchers are an even rarer commodity. Good, young starting pitching is the rarest beast of all.

48 minutes ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

No offense, but I have always hated this line of reasoning. Position players do play everyday, but in practice they affect a smaller percentage of each game. A quality starting pitcher may not effect 4 of 5 games at all, but they are hyper responsible for that one game.

While I have never seen a study on this, I would imagine that over the course of a season that position players in general probably have an advantage in overall impact on the season over pitchers in general. However, that is *not* the same thing as "value."  There are, by default, fewer starting pitchers in general than position players. Good starting pitchers are an even rarer commodity. Good, young starting pitching is the rarest beast of all.

Agreed to an extent. If they think the pitcher is better than rank him higher. Everyone on this board would trade the career of Hunter for Kershaw. Some pitchers are better than some hitters. Many people on this forum want to trade Marsh for pitching.

That being said, starting pitcher usage is going down so much that it limits the value of starting pitchers. Guys who can go regularly go 6+ with 2.5 ERAs will always be very valuable, but the likelihood of a pitcher being that guy is much less. 

On 6/17/2019 at 8:16 PM, beatlesrule said:

I'm skeptical, it's called having an opinion. Of course I hope he is the next best thing but I'll believe it when I see it.

But your skepticism of Adell is based on Wood being a bust? Wood was a one trick pony. In fact he was a one year one trick pony. Adell has better numbers anywhere you look, with the one exception of Woods insane home run total in one outlier season.

25 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

It's important that starting pitchers can at least average pitching into the 6th inning, with one key guy averaging pitching into the 7th inning.  

Otherwise, the pen will always be overworked.

Or maybe they start developing/carrying more relievers capable of 2-3 innings a few days a week.

so a #2 and a #4 and both are shit... hard to figure what some of you guys actually trust or like since most arent that far off each other, but im sure one day someone will put us where you want us to be :) 

For whatever its worth MLBs list had to following select high/low lights:
Adell was our only entry.  
Hou had 2 in the top 10, plus 3 more in the top 100
Min had 4
TB had 8
TOR had 2
Sea had 5, mostly in the bottom half
Atl had 5
SD had 9
CHW had 4, all in upper half

Hardly indicative of anything really i guess as who knows what they will become, just some have more chances to hit than others i guess. 

Not too concerned with where he is ranked. Its like the draft. If theres a ton of talent or lack of, individual players will look better or worse based on competition.

What I do care about is the fact we have a bonafide impact player in the wings. Not sure how good he'll end up being, but its safe to say we have a likely new Torii (aside from Torii jr) in the wings.

Looking forward to seeing Adell become part of a very good core.