• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell ranked as the #2 rated prospect in Baseball (per BA)

Chuck

29 minutes ago, Ender said:

So many threads on this forum devolve into Mariner / Dipoto talk. I mean this thread was about Adell being #2 ranked lol.

The only thing more enjoyable than talking about the Angels is laughing at Jerry Dipoto.  You'll understand once he leaves.

Edited by Inside Pitch

59 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Once he gets a over the initial grief when he sees the wreckage left behind. 

Uh. News flash. Mariners have never known anything but losing, so what is this wreckage you speak of .... when its all we've known?

Remember him?
What They Said

Tremendous breakout season at age 20. While you can't expect 101 extra-base hits per season, I think his improvement was mostly genuine. #1 organizational prospect, Grade: A -- John Sickels

"He's still going to get better. He looks like the next Cal Ripken to me." #3 prospect overall -- Baseball America (quoting a minor league manager)

Well, the power is legit, as if 57 homers between the Minors and the AFL wasn't enough proof for you. If he can cut down on the strikeouts just a little bit more, it could get even worse for opposing pitchers. #3 prospect overall -- Jonathan Mayo

Brandon Wood hitting 43 home runs in the hitter-friendly California League ballparks is impressive, but not quite as impressive as if he had performed similarly in the pitcher-friendly Florida State League. Wood's PECOTA card reflects this sentiment, as his raw numbers of .321/.383/.672 translate to a more reasonable and conservative .257/.309/.506. An 815 OPS is still solid for a SS, but those thinking that Wood can be a perennial 50-HR guy better think twice. #6 prospect overall -- Baseball Prospectus

Yes he did play in the thin desert air, but according to a scout we talked to, his power is 100% legit and most of his HR’s this year would have been out of any park. He’s a very good defensive SS, but should he grow much beyond his 6’3" 200 lb. frame, his range could be in question as a big league SS. No worries though, his bat will play anywhere. #1 organizational prospect -- Angelswin.com

Based solely on 2005, Brandon Wood might be the best prospect in baseball. He put together one of the most impressive offensive seasons ever from a minor leaguer...It's possible that something simply clicked inside Wood last year, allowing him to reach his inner-slugger, but I think it's more likely that his true value is somewhere between the mediocre 2004 campaign and the ridiculously good year in 2005. That's still damn good, of course. #10 prospect overall -- Baseball Think Factory

A 21-year-old is just as likely as a 28-year-old or a 35-year-old to have a performance that is out of line with his underlying ability level--the sort of performance that we’d ordinarily call a "career year." Now, when we look at the 21-year-old some number of years later, we might not see it as a career year, because it happens to come at a time before the player’s underlying ability level is at its peak...Because his true ability level is much higher at age 26 or 27 than it is at age 21, this turns out to be only the fourth- or fifth-best season of his career. But it’s a fluke season nevertheless, in that it’s a fairly misleading reflection of the player’s present level of talent. -- Nate Silver

The buzz surrounding Brandon Wood is understandable. Who wouldn't like to see a young shortstop with plus power emerge in his favorite organization's farm system? Wood may be labeled a "top prospect", but he has some work to do before reaching that potential. I think there is sufficient evidence from Wood's performance history and others' history to suggest he can overcome his recent tendency to strikeout, but it may take some years of refining his plate approach before we find out whether or not Wood will develop into a perennial all-star or a useful but less valuable all-or-nothing hitter. -- Chris Constancio (pre-2007)

Apparently this [Brandon Wood's strikeout rate] is one of the mortal sins in the Church of Sabermetrics, along with not taking a lot of walks...Don't obsess about the strikeouts. They're just growing pains. Ask Mike Schmidt. -- Stephen C. Smith (pre-2007)

You'll understand why I am not going to get too excited about Adell.

1 minute ago, beatlesrule said:
Remember him?
What They Said

Tremendous breakout season at age 20. While you can't expect 101 extra-base hits per season, I think his improvement was mostly genuine. #1 organizational prospect, Grade: A -- John Sickels

"He's still going to get better. He looks like the next Cal Ripken to me." #3 prospect overall -- Baseball America (quoting a minor league manager)

Well, the power is legit, as if 57 homers between the Minors and the AFL wasn't enough proof for you. If he can cut down on the strikeouts just a little bit more, it could get even worse for opposing pitchers. #3 prospect overall -- Jonathan Mayo

Brandon Wood hitting 43 home runs in the hitter-friendly California League ballparks is impressive, but not quite as impressive as if he had performed similarly in the pitcher-friendly Florida State League. Wood's PECOTA card reflects this sentiment, as his raw numbers of .321/.383/.672 translate to a more reasonable and conservative .257/.309/.506. An 815 OPS is still solid for a SS, but those thinking that Wood can be a perennial 50-HR guy better think twice. #6 prospect overall -- Baseball Prospectus

Yes he did play in the thin desert air, but according to a scout we talked to, his power is 100% legit and most of his HR’s this year would have been out of any park. He’s a very good defensive SS, but should he grow much beyond his 6’3" 200 lb. frame, his range could be in question as a big league SS. No worries though, his bat will play anywhere. #1 organizational prospect -- Angelswin.com

Based solely on 2005, Brandon Wood might be the best prospect in baseball. He put together one of the most impressive offensive seasons ever from a minor leaguer...It's possible that something simply clicked inside Wood last year, allowing him to reach his inner-slugger, but I think it's more likely that his true value is somewhere between the mediocre 2004 campaign and the ridiculously good year in 2005. That's still damn good, of course. #10 prospect overall -- Baseball Think Factory

A 21-year-old is just as likely as a 28-year-old or a 35-year-old to have a performance that is out of line with his underlying ability level--the sort of performance that we’d ordinarily call a "career year." Now, when we look at the 21-year-old some number of years later, we might not see it as a career year, because it happens to come at a time before the player’s underlying ability level is at its peak...Because his true ability level is much higher at age 26 or 27 than it is at age 21, this turns out to be only the fourth- or fifth-best season of his career. But it’s a fluke season nevertheless, in that it’s a fairly misleading reflection of the player’s present level of talent. -- Nate Silver

The buzz surrounding Brandon Wood is understandable. Who wouldn't like to see a young shortstop with plus power emerge in his favorite organization's farm system? Wood may be labeled a "top prospect", but he has some work to do before reaching that potential. I think there is sufficient evidence from Wood's performance history and others' history to suggest he can overcome his recent tendency to strikeout, but it may take some years of refining his plate approach before we find out whether or not Wood will develop into a perennial all-star or a useful but less valuable all-or-nothing hitter. -- Chris Constancio (pre-2007)

Apparently this [Brandon Wood's strikeout rate] is one of the mortal sins in the Church of Sabermetrics, along with not taking a lot of walks...Don't obsess about the strikeouts. They're just growing pains. Ask Mike Schmidt. -- Stephen C. Smith (pre-2007)

Yes, because you don’t trust Eppler and are trying to discredit what he does.  Adell is younger and being successful at a higher level than Wood did.  

2 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:
Remember him?
What They Said

God shut the F*ck up

14 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:
Remember him?
What They Said

you must live a miserable life.  

13 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

I'm skeptical, it's called having an opinion. Of course I hope he is the next best thing but I'll believe it when I see it.

if you base your opinion on a single outlier then best of luck.  

Do you always live in extremes?  

He'll probably be a very good player.  Good chance he's a star.  Slim chance he's a bust.  Real chance of being a superstar.  

21 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

I'm skeptical, it's called having an opinion. Of course I hope he is the next best thing but I'll believe it when I see it.

What opinion?   You posted comments about Brandon Wood in a conversation about Adell.   Where is the opinion?   

Btw, I was one of the skeptics on Wood, there was a lot of underlying data that argued he was going to struggle..  I caught shit for it but my argument wasn't Brandon Wood is going to suck because George Arias did

So what's the opinion based on?