• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell ranked as the #2 rated prospect in Baseball (per BA)

Chuck

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

My favorite part about this is the Stephen C Smith quote.  I swear that may have been one of his responses aimed at me before he banned me from his site for attempting to "infest it with numbers gobbledygook."

That guy banned so many people, including myself. It felt great banning him on my forum back in 2006 when he tried to start running his higher than mighty mouth.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

That guy banned so many people, including myself. It felt great banning him on my forum back in 2006 when he tried to start running his higher than mighty mouth.

If you didn't banned by that twat then we can't be friends...

Edited by Inside Pitch

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

If you didn't banned by that twat then we can't be friends...

He found out where I worked in 2004 and tried to get me fired, saying I was online talking about the Angels all day instead of working. My boss laughed at the accusation and responded, "Chuck can do whatever he wants because he gets his work done and is respected among his colleagues and customers."

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

He found out where I worked in 2004 and tried to get me fired, saying I was online talking about the Angels all day instead of working. My boss laughed at the accusation and responded, "Chuck can do whatever he wants because he gets his work done and is respected among his colleagues and customers."

Did you recently get a new job?  

There will always be busts, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the success rate of prospects increased substantially, or at least any busts that did occur (at least at the big league level) didn’t bust quite so hard.

Teams have so much more data and analytics to work with how for their minor leaguers, not to mention all the increased attention given to developing cheap young talent. It’s why I feel pretty good about pretty much all of our Top 10 guys being at least average MLB players. I don’t think there will be another Brandon Wood MLB-flop in this current group.

Pretty much all of our talked up prospects were either busts or nowhere near as good as they ended up being. I posted the Wood stuff to show that we've been down this road before. It's completely fine to be excited about this new ranking. I am taking the realistic(I guess that's the same as pessimistic)view and will wait and see if he in fact ends up being as good as a number 2 prospect.

I wish we could know if the Angels even made an offer for Yelich. I'll just go ahead and assume that they did and the Marlins liked the Brewers offer more. I brought up that I would trade for Yelich because Trouts already been wasted 7 years and a number 2 prospect as talked up as Adell could get the team a proven player to help the major league club right now. Arte doesn't rebuild and this team has a terrible staff and I don't think they are making the playoffs but I'm sure Arte will once again put the illusion out there that they are still competing so why not trade some of this farm with an awesome #2 prospect and go for it right now? I mean, anything can happen once in the playoffs right? Adell and others can get players that help win now. Maybe they can win the World Series this year with the right trades.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

He really was such a freaking weasel... 

Dude argued with me about pitcher abuse in the Angels system, told me I was a dumbass no-nothing, he said my opinions were without merit... This despite having pointed to a great deal of data and actually having knowledge of the system, it's coaches and their methodologies...  A few months later he turned around and penned an article for Baseball America using most of my info as his own... About pitcher injuries and usage.

This from the dude that threatened legal action if anyone linked to one of his pictures.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Did you recently get a new job?  

I resigned from the company I have been at for a long time. I'm on a self imposed sabbatical of sorts. Going to travel the world, do some missions work for an establishment like habitat for humanity (building homes in third world countries) and spend some quality time with the family. I'll be back at it sometime later this fall/winter or the first of the year though.

I'm also really looking forward to going to Italy for a few weeks toward the end of August. I have some family there from my mom's side and I've never been there, nor have I been anywhere in Europe for that matter.

Also, my son and his fiance are having a child in early July (in Vegas). Hell yeah, Grandpa F'n Chuck is on deck. lol 

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

He really was such a freaking weasel... 

Dude argued with me about pitcher abuse in the Angels system, told me I was a dumbass no-nothing, he said my opinions were without merit... This despite having pointed to a great deal of data and actually having knowledge of the system, it's coaches and their methodologies...  A few months later he turned around and penned an article for Baseball America using most of my info as his own... About pitcher injuries and usage.

This from the dude that threatened legal action if anyone linked to one of his pictures.

Yep, he threatened me because I found one of his pictures on Google images back in 2004 of Steven Shell, but without his watermark. I used it for an article on AW re: Shell and he threatened to sue me as well. 

8 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Pretty much all of our talked up prospects were either busts or nowhere near as good as they ended up being. I posted the Wood stuff to show that we've been down this road before. It's completely fine to be excited about this new ranking. I am taking the realistic(I guess that's the same as pessimistic)view and will wait and see if he in fact ends up being as good as a number 2 prospect.

I wish we could know if the Angels even made an offer for Yelich. I'll just go ahead and assume that they did and the Marlins liked the Brewers offer more. I brought up that I would trade for Yelich because Trouts already been wasted 7 years and a number 2 prospect as talked up as Adell could get the team a proven player to help the major league club right now. Arte doesn't rebuild and this team has a terrible staff and I don't think they are making the playoffs but I'm sure Arte will once again put the illusion out there that they are still competing so why not trade some of this farm with an awesome #2 prospect and go for it right now? I mean, anything can happen once in the playoffs right? Adell and others can get players that help win now. Maybe they can win the World Series this year with the right trades.

@beatlesrule, just take the wait and see approach dude. There's no reason to be pessimistic here. 

It's OK to be optimistic and if it doesn't work out, there's more in the pipeline to step up and become solid major leaguers down the road. But there's nothing to enjoy in life if there's no hope or you're not excited about a possibility of something great happening.

Taking the pessimistic approach to all things in life is incredibly unhealthy my friend.

Here's the cool thing. Adell was selected 10th by the Angels in the 2017 MLB amateur draft. He's currently ranked by ALL MLB publications as the top guy out of that class as far as prospect rankings go. Chalk that up to Eppler and his staff for selecting the best player (so far) in that draft. 

image.png 

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:
Remember him?
What They Said

You'll understand why I am not going to get too excited about Adell.

So you're taking the worst possible case scenario and assuming that has a high probability of occuring? 

I'd say the chances of Adell going the Brandon Wood route--being a total bust--is <1%. Really, it is that low. 

Now there's a larger chance that he's disappointing, that he becomes more of a toolsy 4th outfielder or fringe start who shows flashes of power but struggles with plate discipline and doesn't hit for a high enough average to hold down a regular gig. But even that is unlikely.

I'd say the full range of outcomes, from worst to best with my own highly subjective--but I think reasonable--chances of happening are:

<1%: Total bust. Brandon Wood.

<5%: Major disappointment, whether due to injury or regressive. Dallas McPherson.

15% Disappointing, but still a solid major leaguer - a 2-3 fWAR starter. .240/.750, 25 HR. Kole Calhoun.

25%: Pessimistic likely outcome: above average regular, borderline star. 3-5 fWAR. .260/.800, 25+ HR. Justin Upton, Torii Hunter, Dale Murphy, JD Drew, Andy Van Slyke.

35%: Optimistic likely outcome: Bonafide star. 5-6 fWAR. .280/.850, 30+ HR, 20 SB. Justin Upton in a good year, Dave Winfield, Andre Dawson, Dwight Evans.

20%: Superstar. 290+/.900+, 35+ HR, 6-8 fWAR. Willie Stargell, Vlad Guerrero.

1%: A megastar ala Trout. .300+/.950+, 40+ HR, 8+ fWAR. Frank Robinson, 20-something Ken Griffey Jr.

So yeah, I'm saying he's got about an ~80% chance of being at least a quality regular, and a ~55% of being a true star. Those are just ad hoc, made-up numbers, but the point is he's a really, really good prospect, easily the best position player prospect since Trout, and maybe second best of the last 20 years.

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I resigned from the company I have been at for a long time. I'm on a self imposed sabbatical of sorts. Going to travel the world, do some missions work for an establishment like habitat for humanity (building homes in third world countries) and spend some quality time with the family. I'll be back at it sometime later this fall/winter or the first of the year though.

I'm also really looking forward to going to Italy for a few weeks toward the end of August. I have some family there from my mom's side and I've never been there, nor have I been anywhere in Europe for that matter.

Also, my son and his fiance are having a child in early July (in Vegas). Hell yeah, Grandpa F'n Chuck is on deck. lol 

Good for you, Chuck.

Unfortunately I cant do the same, Id have to get rehired, lose my retirement, etc. 

But I applaud that. Spending time with your family, travelling, the habitats for humanity thing is rad..

.... basically all the things we swore we would do as kids.

Enjoy it my man

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Good for you, Chuck.

Unfortunately I cant do the same, Id have to get rehired, lose my retirement, etc. 

But I applaud that. Spending time with your family, travelling, the habitats for humanity thing is rad..

.... basically all the things we swore we would do as kids.

Enjoy it my man

Thanks bud. ?

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

My favorite part about this is the Stephen C Smith quote.  I swear that may have been one of his responses aimed at me before he banned me from his site for attempting to "infest it with numbers gobbledygook."

He had a point. There really is no place for gobbledygook. 

Or facts in Steven's world.