• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Los Angeles Angels? Disingenuous team name is as laughable as ever

11 hours ago, Blarg said:

The New York Giants play in New Jersey. That's not a city division, a county division, it's an entire state. 

Buffalo Bills- play in Orchard Park, NY, 

Los Angeles Chargers- play in Carson, CA, 

Washington Redskins- play in Ladover, MD,

Dallas Cowboys- play in Arlington, TX, 

San Francisco 49ers- play in Santa Clara, CA, this one is 43 miles away.

Miami Dolphins- play in Miami Gardens, formerly Carol City.

Man...  the NFL sure is disingenuous...

Edited by Inside Pitch

11 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

That’s why this week’s games between the Dodgers and Angels is not referred to as a crosstown rivalry or an intercity rivalry. It’s simply called the Freeway Series

L.A. Times is slipping.

12 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

The Angels want nothing to do with Los Angeles outside of enjoying the economic benefits of being associated with the city.

This is not an inaccurate complaint. I think the article in general is stupid, but this line sounds about spot on.

9 minutes ago, krAbs said:

This is not an inaccurate complaint. I think the article in general is stupid, but this line sounds about spot on.

The Angel fans want nothing to do with LA, but Arte absolutely wants to market the team to LA residents.  

I wonder if the name change really did anything other than piss people off. If the executives at Fox gave Arte a better deal because he put LA in the team name then they might be on the spectrum.

I've never spoken to one person who said they watched an Angels game or bought some merchandise simply because the team had LA in the name. 

1 minute ago, Lhalo said:

I wonder if the name change really did anything other than piss people off. If the executives at Fox gave Arte a better deal because he put LA in the team name then they might be on the spectrum.

I've never spoken to one person who said they watched an Angels game or bought some merchandise simply because the team had LA in the name. 

How many people have you seen wearing Angels gear and asked them why they bought it?

7 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I usully wear it to the freeway series but was way too got this year.

Sorry, bro - but I have no idea what you wrote here. "Way too got?"

I don't think any Angel fans love the fact that the Angels are called the Los Angeles Angels, but it's not like we have any control over it either.

IP was spot on... someone's upset that the Angels kicked some L.A. arse.

1 hour ago, Lhalo said:

All the time. I usually confront people at gas stations and ask "WTF you doin' wit dat Angels hat on bro?!!!" and then I get really close to their face.

I do the same, but I shorten the sentence a little:

"Cool hat!"

Everybody (except maybe Arte) hates the name change. I think most have moved on from it.

They changed the name in 2005, back in the days when the Anaheim Angels were relevant.

That was a long time ago.

13 hours ago, Second Base said:

I really don't care what they go by.  California Angels was a great name, and offered the flexibility to move anywhere in the state and keep the name.  Anaheim Angels was a dumb name, but at least it was correct.  Los Angeles Angels makes sense, except that they aren't in L.A., but that's common among many teams in professional sports, so it really doesn't matter. 

Long Beach Angels sounds terrible, but it wouldn't stop me from rooting for them. 

Again, if it were me, they'd go back to California Angels, but I honestly don't care very much. 

13 hours ago, Second Base said:

I really don't care what they go by.  California Angels was a great name, and offered the flexibility to move anywhere in the state and keep the name.  Anaheim Angels was a dumb name, but at least it was correct.  Los Angeles Angels makes sense, except that they aren't in L.A., but that's common among many teams in professional sports, so it really doesn't matter. 

Long Beach Angels sounds terrible, but it wouldn't stop me from rooting for them. 

Again, if it were me, they'd go back to California Angels, but I honestly don't care very much. 

I have never understood how Arty the marketing genius who wanted to expand his Fanbase could change the name from California to Anaheim/ los Angeles.

Yeah, that should do the trick ??‍♂️

California  Angels, always and forever! ❤️

1 minute ago, itsKnoppUitsme said:

I have never understood how Arty the marketing genius who wanted to expand his Fanbase could change the name from California to Anaheim/ los Angeles.

Anaheim was a Disney thing.  They weren't really branding the Angels, they were branding the people trap that was down the road.

20 minutes ago, itsKnoppUitsme said:

My response $3 billion for 20 years from FOX for a team in the bottom five in ratings.  I’ll happily change my mind or opinion if someone can show me a similar situation with ratings and huge TV contract around the time Arte made that deal.