• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Los Angeles Angels? Disingenuous team name is as laughable as ever

7 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I think we need to stop protecting our team on this one.

i actually agree 100% with the article. I’ve always hated the name “LA Angels”. I grew up in Orange County so damn right it means a lot. If Anaheim doesn’t work then go back to California Angels. But the last thing that should have been done is slapping a county name that we aren’t even in. It’s a slam to the city of Anaheim If you can’t create a strong brand from it. Hell, if that’s the case, then maybe Arte should move the team to LA....

Angels fans should care about their team name. It’s our identify as a franchise. And I know one thing for sure is that I don’t want any name association with the LA Dodgers. 

For everyone else outside of Southern California, Anaheim is LA. It's all one big metropolitan. Same with Bronx and Queens.

52 minutes ago, Second Base said:

For everyone else outside of Southern California, Anaheim is LA. It's all one big metropolitan. Same with Bronx and Queens.

And that’s EXACTLY why Arte changed the name - to appeal to people outside of SoCal, not in it. People in Sweden or Portugal don’t know where Anaheim is, but they can certainly find LA on a map. That was his goal all along.

12 hours ago, LAA Road Tripper said:

My job takes me all around the country. It’s always interesting to get the local flavor across the US. Having grown up in Southern California and still live here, I’ve always found it interesting how this area gets so caught up on county boundaries. Literally no other place is like it. I was in the Minneapolis area earlier this week and went from county to county without any impact of note. No one who lives in Edina is hit with “Well, it’s not really Minneapolis or Hennepin County.” But in SoCal a different county is like a different world. Look at a map, the old kind with yellow representing population. You know what you see when you look at the entire metro area? One metro area from Calabasas to Ranch Cucamonga to San Clemente. Every other place in America would consider that a city.

Exactly.

The name change was stupid because of the "of anaheim". That was due to contract. It ended. Its old news now.

It was also a long term decision. It wasnt about what current people cared about (in 05). It was what people down the road would. 

You get out of the LA basin and nobody knows where the F anaheim is. 

The only people who still have an issue with it are LA people who think theyre better than soft ass OC, and OC people who think theyre better than dirty ass LA.

This has been argued since day one, and in the old board, the nutswingers practically guaranteed that the controversy would blow over in a year or two. Yet here we are.

The best "for" arguments I've seen in these four pages is that Arte signed a huge deal with Fox Sports West, and slapping an LA on the team MUST have been why the team got so much money. The other great argument is that people in Sweden now know about the Angels. Those Swedish people must be part of the 10,000 or so who buy a ticket to every non Dodger home game, but don't show up.

You people are such hypocrites. Imagine if our team was LA for 60 years, in LA, and another team from, say Riverside suddenly changed their name to LA. We would never let them forget it.

And, as mentioned here, the contractually obligated *of Anaheim" was a particularly odorous  shit cherry on an already shit sundae. And it spawned super lame jokes that haven't stopped to this day.

Edited by yk9001

7 hours ago, Second Base said:

Growing up, travelling around the country with my parents...  People would ask me where I was from and I'd say Anaheim...  they'd look at me funny, so I'd say -- You know where Disneyland is?  And 9 out of 10 times their response would be -- Oh so Los Angeles...   

This guy's POV is so backwards and outdated it's not funny.   Also, I've been watching him try to defend himself on twitter and he's moved the goalposts about 17 times already...  It really is hilarious.   As @Lou would say.... well, that's a USC guy for you....

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

And, as mentioned here, the contractually obligated *of Anaheim" was a particularly odorous  shit cherry on an already shit sundae. And it spawned super lame jokes that haven't stopped to this day.

They officially dropped the of "Anaheim" prior to the 2016 season.   

Most announcers had stopped calling them anything but LA years before that.  Living outside of SoCal and relying on the MLB package to watch Angels games meant being able to listen to a lot of out of town feeds if for no other reason because I enjoyed seeing their POV, particularly given the usual doom and gloom from myopic Angels's fans.   Typically you'd hear California Angels more often than you did "of Anaheim"  The only people who still use that are lightweights trying to fling limp-wristed smack.   

Basically the usage of "Los Angeles, CA, United States Angels of Anaheim" and the other ever so clever offshoots of that idiotic name only exist in the same realm as "Anaslime", "Garbage Grove", "LaLaland" ...  it's low hanging fruit reserved for mental midgets incapable of doing better.

51 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

The name annoying and dumb. It alienates local people and creates marbles for every away announcer’s mouth. When Arte sells the team or dies his legacy will be that of one who created the lamest name in sports history. Everyone who disagrees with me can suck it.

Ah -- the locals... most of which don't live/didn't grow up in the city and refer to Anaheim as "Anaslime" or who will be quick to differentiate they live in Anaheim Hills, not Anaheim....    

Edited by Inside Pitch

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

This has been argued since day one, and in the old board, the nutswingers practically guaranteed that the controversy would blow over in a year or two. Yet here we are.

The best "for" arguments I've seen in these four pages is that Arte signed a huge deal with Fox Sports West, and slapping an LA on the team MUST have been why the team got so much money. The other great argument is that people in Sweden now know about the Angels. Those Swedish people must be part of the 10,000 or so who buy a ticket to every non Dodger home game, but don't show up.

You people are such hypocrites. Imagine if our team was LA for 60 years, in LA, and another team from, say Riverside suddenly changed their name to LA. We would never let them forget it.

No yk that is the point, if we don’t care what the Angels are called why the hell would we care what another team is called?  That’s some fine projecting on your part.  I’m also super proud of you for commenting on attendance again.  “RANCHO BERNARDO, I WANT TO TALK SPORTS WITH YOU!”

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

No yk that is the point, if we don’t care what the Angels are called why the hell would we care what another team is called?  That’s some fine projecting on your part.  I’m also super proud of you for commenting on attendance again.  “RANCHO BERNARDO, I WANT TO TALK SPORTS WITH YOU!”

I think his point is that the provincial OC types would get all bent if someone were to move to OC and claim the name..  and he's probably right.   

Thing is, the Los Angeles Angels were a thing in Los Angeles long before the Brooklyn Atlantics/Grays/Bridgrooms/Grooms/Bridegrooms/Superbas/Dodgers/Superbas/Robins/Dodgers came west. Yes, those are all the different names they used until 1932 when they finally stuck with Dodgers.... 

The MLB Angels were born in LA, played their home games there originally, and used the name Los Angeles at it's inception.   The history here isn't as one sided as his scenario paints it.

On 6/13/2019 at 7:06 AM, Calzone 2 said:

They should use these uniforms on road trips. That would be like the final stamp on this whole issue.

A3161B9D-6AB1-44DC-AD77-09DCB48ABEED.jpeg

Except for the fact Moreno stated the uniform would always just say Angels on it. 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Ah -- the locals... most of which don't live/didn't grow up in the city and refer to Anaheim as "Anaslime" or who will be quick to differentiate they live in Anaheim Hills, not Anaheim....    

Dafuq is your point?

9 hours ago, Second Base said:

That may be but it's still a hometown thing for me. I think it's more important due to the rivalry we have with LA teams like the Dodgers and Kings. I don't want their name in my town and i'm sure they don't want want mine in theirs. 

9 hours ago, Second Base said:

FYI The Bronx and Queens are boroughs of the City of New York. Anaheim is a different city in a different county. You are comparing apples and oranges.