• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Los Angeles Angels? Disingenuous team name is as laughable as ever

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp-angels-los-angeles-team-name-20190612-story.html

A few years after the name change, the Angels signed a 20-year, $3-billion television deal with Fox Sports and beefed up their advertising in Los Angeles. Billboards of the team are still prominent at L.A. Live.

None of that changes the fact that the team is still in Anaheim. They are in Orange County, not Los Angeles County. That’s why this week’s games between the Dodgers and Angels is not referred to as a crosstown rivalry or an intercity rivalry. It’s simply called the Freeway Series.

It’s an appropriate name considering anyone who lives in Los Angeles spent nearly two hours on the freeway to go to the games in Anaheim on Monday or Tuesday.

The worst part about the team’s name — outside of its complete disregard for geographic accuracy — is that it remains the most disingenuous name in sports. The Angels want nothing to do with Los Angeles outside of enjoying the economic benefits of being associated with the city. Walk around Angel Stadium and peruse the team store and you’ll be hard-pressed to find “L.A.” or “Los Angeles” anywhere. Not on a sign, poster, hat, shirt, jersey. Nothing.

The truth is, the Angels are a team without a city. They spurned Anaheim by dropping the city’s name and claimed Los Angeles in name only. No team in sports history has claimed a city and done less to connect with that city...

13 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

The worst part about the team’s name — outside of its complete disregard for geographic accuracy — is that it remains the most disingenuous name in sports.

just a heads up . . . neither the new york jets nor the new york giants actually play in new york.

37 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp-angels-los-angeles-team-name-20190612-story.html

A few years after the name change, the Angels signed a 20-year, $3-billion television deal with Fox Sports and beefed up their advertising in Los Angeles. Billboards of the team are still prominent at L.A. Live.

None of that changes the fact that the team is still in Anaheim. They are in Orange County, not Los Angeles County. That’s why this week’s games between the Dodgers and Angels is not referred to as a crosstown rivalry or an intercity rivalry. It’s simply called the Freeway Series.

It’s an appropriate name considering anyone who lives in Los Angeles spent nearly two hours on the freeway to go to the games in Anaheim on Monday or Tuesday.

The worst part about the team’s name — outside of its complete disregard for geographic accuracy — is that it remains the most disingenuous name in sports. The Angels want nothing to do with Los Angeles outside of enjoying the economic benefits of being associated with the city. Walk around Angel Stadium and peruse the team store and you’ll be hard-pressed to find “L.A.” or “Los Angeles” anywhere. Not on a sign, poster, hat, shirt, jersey. Nothing.

The truth is, the Angels are a team without a city. They spurned Anaheim by dropping the city’s name and claimed Los Angeles in name only. No team in sports history has claimed a city and done less to connect with that city...

Then why is the Mets and Yankees series called the subway series?

I always preferred California Angels because it is what i grew up on.

Anyhow, no one cares about the Anaheim name except people who live in Orange County. Don't forget that for the rest of the country, "Anaheim" doesn't mean anything - it is just a suburb of LA, and technically in the LA metro area, so Los Angeles Angels isn't actually inaccurate if you consider "Los Angeles" to include the entire metro area.

I've never understood certain people's obsession with the name of a sports team.  

I guess I get that some mascots are insensitive to certain cultures and need to be changed.  

Some teams are named after a city.  Some after a state.  

If an owner thinks it means something, then so what.  If no one cares, then who cares.  

Lol this is so pathetic.  This Arash Markazi guy has never said a good thing about the Angels in his entire life.  He’s a shitty radio guy.  Wow.  What a great get for the sports column LA times.  Jesus Christ.  This fu*cking guy might as well be the treasurer for that blue bitch Pantone 97 group or whatever. 

Disingenuous, lol.  Ya dude, like the fuc*king Guggenheim plutocrats BLEED for LA.  Get fu*cked. 

Lol I went and checked out his twitter feed and he’s arguing now that they changed their name so they’re different then like.  The cowboys or the giants.  That also being a dumb fuc* argument he also added this one.  THE ANGELS DONT ENAGE WITH LA PEOPLE.  LMAO.  Ya dude, tell us all about how great the Dodgers are to their fans.  Man, it’s a good thing the Guggenheim got that amazing TV deal.  Fantastic for Dodgers fans.  Just amazing engagement. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

I really don't care what they go by.  California Angels was a great name, and offered the flexibility to move anywhere in the state and keep the name.  Anaheim Angels was a dumb name, but at least it was correct.  Los Angeles Angels makes sense, except that they aren't in L.A., but that's common among many teams in professional sports, so it really doesn't matter. 

Long Beach Angels sounds terrible, but it wouldn't stop me from rooting for them. 

Again, if it were me, they'd go back to California Angels, but I honestly don't care very much. 

5 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I always preferred California Angels because it is what i grew up on.

Anyhow, no one cares about the Anaheim name except people who live in Orange County. Don't forget that for the rest of the country, "Anaheim" doesn't mean anything - it is just a suburb of LA, and technically in the LA metro area, so Los Angeles Angels isn't actually inaccurate if you consider "Los Angeles" to include the entire metro area.

This.

Get out of the bubble, and Anaheim is LA.