• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Los Angeles Angels? Disingenuous team name is as laughable as ever

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

My response $3 billion for 20 years from FOX for a team in the bottom five in ratings.  I’ll happily change my mind or opinion if someone can show me a similar situation with ratings and huge TV contract around the time Arte made that deal.  

Are they bottom 5 by eyeballs or by market share? There's a huge difference.

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

That I don’t know.  I’m assuming it’s ratings so market share.  

Well the LA metro population is about 5.7 times that of KC and 4.7 times that of StL so ratings can be much worse and get the same number of eyeballs. Now that may be your point, but it's unclear how much of that deal is due to the size of the metro area and how much of it is due to the name. But I'd imagine Arte did some research on the issue and found it would make a difference. Also, if the Angels are drawing equal eyeballs to KC and is getting a much smaller market share, then there is a lot more potential for growth.

7 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Well the LA metro population is about 5.7 times that of KC and 4.7 times that of StL so ratings can be much worse and get the same number of eyeballs. Now that may be your point, but it's unclear how much of that deal is due to the size of the metro area and how much of it is due to the name. But I'd imagine Arte did some research on the issue and found it would make a difference. Also, if the Angels are drawing equal eyeballs to KC and is getting a much smaller market share, then there is a lot more potential for growth.

Arte bought in at the right time. FSW is on a basic cable tier which earns them a cut of every cable tv bill. With cord cutting and time shifting just starting to take off cable providers were starting to see the value in live sports networks, something that teams were realizing as well, with the Lakers and the Dodgers both starting their own networks. FSW could not afford to lose the Angels at that point so they made a long term partnership with Arte and the Angels.

My job takes me all around the country. It’s always interesting to get the local flavor across the US. Having grown up in Southern California and still live here, I’ve always found it interesting how this area gets so caught up on county boundaries. Literally no other place is like it. I was in the Minneapolis area earlier this week and went from county to county without any impact of note. No one who lives in Edina is hit with “Well, it’s not really Minneapolis or Hennepin County.” But in SoCal a different county is like a different world. Look at a map, the old kind with yellow representing population. You know what you see when you look at the entire metro area? One metro area from Calabasas to Ranch Cucamonga to San Clemente. Every other place in America would consider that a city.

7 minutes ago, Lou said:

I wonder what the increase in cord-cutting has done (or will do) to recent TV deals.

Signed,

A guy without cable 

that's an interesting question. Do you still watch the games on fox/prime through a subscription, or through a service like mlb.tv, which I"m assuming is getting the feed from fox 

9 minutes ago, red321 said:

that's an interesting question. Do you still watch the games on fox/prime through a subscription, or through a service like mlb.tv, which I"m assuming is getting the feed from fox 

No subscriptions. I stream everything I watch - tv shows, movies, sports,etc. through my Amazon Fire TV box. I don't pay a cent. 

Watching the US Open right now. 

I think we need to stop protecting our team on this one.

i actually agree 100% with the article. I’ve always hated the name “LA Angels”. I grew up in Orange County so damn right it means a lot. If Anaheim doesn’t work then go back to California Angels. But the last thing that should have been done is slapping a county name that we aren’t even in. It’s a slam to the city of Anaheim If you can’t create a strong brand from it. Hell, if that’s the case, then maybe Arte should move the team to LA....

Angels fans should care about their team name. It’s our identify as a franchise. And I know one thing for sure is that I don’t want any name association with the LA Dodgers.