• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

We're gonna take the 2nd wild card

27 minutes ago, floplag said:

I wish a had that optimism, but i think we need to get solidly above 500 before we start getting delusions of grandeur.  

I agree with this.  I don’t really like to look at the standings before we are over .500.  I am optimistic but that is mostly based on the offense and the bullpen.  If the starting pitching doesn’t get worked out then it is all for nothing.

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don’t really like to look at the standings before we are over .500.

I look at the standings every day.  I look at the teams that are coming up on the schedule.  I look ahead at the pitching match-ups. I watch the scores of division rivals. 

I need to get a life.

29 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I agree with this.  I don’t really like to look at the standings before we are over .500.  I am optimistic but that is mostly based on the offense and the bullpen.  If the starting pitching doesn’t get worked out then it is all for nothing.

The funny part is that this is where we have the most up and coming potential really.  But i dont think it arrives in time to affect 19.  By the end of the year i expect the rotation to have names like Heaney, Ramirez, Suarez, and maybe even Sandoval.

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

The funny part is that this is where we have the most up and coming potential really.  But i dont think it arrives in time to affect 19.  By the end of the year i expect the rotation to have names like Heaney, Ramirez, Suarez, and maybe even Sandoval.

I have a hunch Ramirez will be brought back as a reliever, but I could very well be wrong.  I haven’t really read anything on what they have planned, but it is my hunch.  So at the end of the year we are looking at Skaggs, Heaney, Canning, Suarez and someone else.  Wouldn’t surprise me to see a trade made for another young arm.  

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I have a hunch Ramirez will be brought back as a reliever, but I could very well be wrong.  I haven’t really read anything on what they have planned, but it is my hunch.  So at the end of the year we are looking at Skaggs, Heaney, Canning, Suarez and someone else.  Wouldn’t surprise me to see a trade made for another young arm.  

Possibly at first to build stamina, wouldnt surprise me.  

13 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

I'm not sold on Cleveland. I think the division winners are Houston, Minnesota, and one of NYY/BOS/TB.

The only way I see the Angels beating one of those AL East teams for the 2nd wild card is if our rotation becomes Skaggs, Heaney, Pena, Canning, and Suarez.

Cahill and Harvey have been a disaster. Cahill should not pitch for us again, and if Harvey can't have a good outing Friday vs. KC, he also needs to go.

I agree with you on the offense and the bullpen. Much improved from last year. Thanks Eppler.

IDK i dont see Min keeping up this pace.  Then again Cle doesnt look like much either so who knows.  
AS a fan of the game, im praying that its Min and TB for the divisions, i think that would be a great thing. 

I don't know if this team will make the playoffs or not.  I think the offense has been buoyed by some unexpected performances by La Stella, Goodwin and Fletcher.  I really don't see those holding up to that degree all season, so even when Upton arrives, we have to wait for him to heat up and even then, his presence probably simply makes up for the dip in production from the other three.  The Angels have a decent offense, and I feel the offense will remain "decent" for the rest of the year.  The bullpen is great and will continue to be great.  The rotation has been garbage and eventually, it will be serviceable.

Add it all together and the Angels win 84-86 games total this season.  Wild Card two is probably going to win 89 games or so.  So I expect the Angels to finish within striking distance, but ultimately not win it.  But the more important thing is that I think the Angels are going to set themselves up nicely for the future.  By the end of the year...

- La Stella will have entrenched himself over at third base or second base, either way, he's in the lineup everyday and he'll be a productive infielder.  Whatever spot he isn't playing is going to be manned by either Rengifo or Feltcher, depending on the matchup and hot hand.  Albert is going to be pretty solid while he's healthy this year, but he's going to wear down right around July.  So in August or September, either Jared Walsh, Matt Thaiss or Taylor Ward are going to end up taking first base and running with it.  Both Jo Adell and Brandon Marsh are going to be looking really good at the end of the year.  They won't be called up in September, but it'll be clear to all involved parties that he'll be up early on in 2020.

- The pitching depth issue will finally be solved.  In 2020, the Angels will come in with Ohtani, Skaggs, Heaney, Canning, Barria, Pena, Suarez and Sandoval.  The Angels will have enough depth to withstand injuries, but the problem of quality pitching will still be an issue, so I think at the trade deadline, Billy Eppler will trade for a starter that not only helps out down the stretch, but also in 2020 and beyond.  This will not be an inning eater, this is going to be a legitimately exciting mid or front of the rotation starter.  It's going to be Marcus Stroman.  He's a ground ball pitcher whose peripherals throughout his career have suggested that he's quite better than the overall numbers in his career, which is no doubt in part due to pitching in the AL East and in front of less than stellar defenses and the fast turf of the Rogers Centre.  He's under control for 2020 and 2021.  Basically, think back to the Dan Haren trade and you should understand about the asking price the Blue Jays will have for Stroman.  More than likely a top prospect at a position they need (outfield), an MLB ready starting pitcher and promising role player/reliever.  Basically, you're looking at Jaime Barria, Brandon Marsh and Jake Jewell.  But they won't stop there.  in Free Agency, the Angels will further strengthen their rotation by adding Zack Wheeler. 

So coming into 2020, the Angels will be coming off an 85-ish win season and will have upgraded at 1B and RF, as well as rolling out a rotation of Ohtani, Stroman, Wheeler, Canning and Skaggs.  The most important thing 2019 will do is prepare this team to win 90+ games in 2020, which is what's going to happen. 

15 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Canning has to find some rhythm also....

I think he will, lets be honest he was brought up out of necessity more than readiness.  We are seeing a handful of guys in Ana way before any realistic expectation suggested they should be there so these things are going to happen. 

As of right now the teams we are chasing, Tampa Bay, Cleveland, Houston and Minnesota  all have top 10 fielding stats in all of baseball based on a general fielding search on ESPN. Right now the Halos are 13th. It would be nice to upgrade the fielding a couple ticks to help the sub par pitching out

24 minutes ago, Halokingfish said:

As of right now the teams we are chasing, Tampa Bay, Cleveland, Houston and Minnesota  all have top 10 fielding stats in all of baseball based on a general fielding search on ESPN. Right now the Halos are 13th. It would be nice to upgrade the fielding a couple ticks to help the sub par pitching out

gonna be tough to improve with Lucroy behind the plate, Goodwin in the OF and La Stella in the IF.  They are all poor defenders and that's what's bringing us down.  

It would probably be controversial, but they should switch Fletcher and La Stella between 2b/3b depending on the batter.  

Upton is actually a better defender than Goodwin.  

Walsh is also a very good defender at 1b.  

I would actually like to see the team be a little more aggressive at base running as well.  Not crazy.  just to take a few more chances as Gallego has been pretty conservative so far.  

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

gonna be tough to improve with Lucroy behind the plate, Goodwin in the OF and La Stella in the IF.  They are all poor defenders and that's what's bringing us down.  

It would probably be controversial, but they should switch Fletcher and La Stella between 2b/3b depending on the batter.  

Upton is actually a better defender than Goodwin.  

Walsh is also a very good defender at 1b.  

I would actually like to see the team be a little more aggressive at base running as well.  Not crazy.  just to take a few more chances as Gallego has been pretty conservative so far.  

“Upton is actually a better defender than Goodwin.

It will be interesting to see which one of these guys the Angels will put in the All Star ballot. 

On 5/16/2019 at 10:22 AM, Stradling said:

On 5/16/2019 at 10:39 AM, floplag said:

Possibly at first to build stamina, wouldnt surprise me.  

The Angels said once Ramírez gets up to 60 pitches in his rehab outings they will decide if he’s going to be activated as a reliever or keep going to 90 (2 more starts) as a starter. They will not activate him as a reliever and then make him a starter. I just don’t think you can schedule 75-pitch relief outings in the majors in order to build him up. Once he’s done in the minors, that’s it. That’s why I suspect they build him up to 90 in the minors. Then they can put him in rotation immediately or put him in the pen for up to 2-3 weeks while they decide, then he could still go back to starting. 

Ramírez is at about 30 now. Next one 45, then 60, etc. 

15 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The Angels said once Ramírez gets up to 60 pitches in his rehab outings they will decide if he’s going to be activated as a reliever or keep going to 90 (2 more starts) as a starter. They will not activate him as a reliever and then make him a starter. I just don’t think you can schedule 75-pitch relief outings in the majors in order to build him up. Once he’s done in the minors, that’s it. That’s why I suspect they build him up to 90 in the minors. Then they can put him in rotation immediately or put him in the pen for up to 2-3 weeks while they decide, then he could still go back to starting. 

Makes sense, wouldnt you agree though that we need him as a starter much more?  

24 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Does Ramirez have a preference? I would assume he would prefer to be a starter because of the earning potential compared to a reliever. 

Ramirez is perfect for the Pena role.  

He follows an opener and goes about 70-80 pitches or twice through with maybe a third for the lower half.  

there's some math I don't feel like doing where Skaggs, Harvey, Heaney, Canning, Cahill, Pena, and Ramirez alternate in some way between some combo of openers etc where they're pitching anywhere from 3 to 6 innings.  I know this could be scary, but I would start working Noe into that mix as well.  That's just a little bonus for people to chew on.  

We (as a collective) actually mapped this whole thing out about two years ago sans the opener where you minimize exposure to third time through.  

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

Does Ramirez have a preference? I would assume he would prefer to be a starter because of the earning potential compared to a reliever. 

He said when he was a starter that he preferred starting. But I don’t think he’d complain. I think after TJ he’ll just be happy to be pitching again. 

I don’t have the same optimism that some in this thread do.  I personally am not that interested in the 1 game playoff.  I think the Angels will be in the mix to win the 2nd wild card.  I think, based on what I’ve seen that they have an outside chance of winning it.  I’d say like a 25-35% chance.  Which would be cool and i would of course be happy about.  But I do think that it’s clear that they’re still outclassed by “good” teams in the league.  And while I agree that anything can happen in the playoffs.  I don’t see the Angels making a ton of a noise.  And if they lose in the 1 game wild card.  I mean, who gives a shit.  I’d rather have the higher draft pick. The Angels are still just stuck in this purgatory between being genuinely good and the teams that are legitimately bad and obviously not trying to win right now.  I might become more optimistic if this offensive surge continues, but we’ll see.  l don’t think I really need to comment on the starting pitching. 

I think that a big thing to watch(for me anyway) is how many of our players may be real trade possibilities.  Eppler seems to have hit one out of the park with Buttrey.  That is the type of move that legitimately moves the team closer to being genuine contenders.  The acquisition of Patrick Sandoval seems to have been a nice get as well, albeit one with an impact further down the road.  Hopefully.  

Eppler and the FO have a tough job trying figure out how committed they should be to being competitive this year while also doing what they need to do to accelerate the teams rise into a real win window. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

20 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

And if they lose in the 1 game wild card.  I mean, who gives a shit.  I’d rather have the higher draft pick. 

Agree, the 2nd wild card is not something for mediocre teams to shoot for.

It's for good teams who contend for their division and come up short.