• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

We're gonna take the 2nd wild card

20 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Goodwin is arbitration eligible and isn’t a free agent until 2023.  So he will be here if they want him here.  I like KoleI always have, but he isn’t part of the future and if you could trade him and get back another future piece you should consider it.  However they simply won’t trade him if they are right in the thick of it within a couple of games of the wild card.

i honestly wasnt aware of that i though we had him on a 1 year after the pickup... thanks for the correction.   With that in mind you are likely corret, he would be the obvious choice to deal

12 minutes ago, floplag said:

i honestly wasnt aware of that i though we had him on a 1 year after the pickup... thanks for the correction.   With that in mind you are likely corret, he would be the obvious choice to deal

We picked him up as a guy with no options left I believe so we own his rights, but can’t send him down and he obviously won’t pass through waivers.  

I think if there’s an offer on that table the brings the Angels a useful prospect you trade Kole Calhoun no matter what. We have Goodwin and Hermosillo as a 4th.  They have Walsh who can play RF.  If Adell is hitting decently they can just get the on with the Adell era. 

Have to think bigger picture then the 2nd wild card and a 1 game playoff. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

I think if there’s an offer on the table the brings the Angels a useful prospect you trade Kole Calhoun no matter what. We have Goodwin and Hermosillo as a 4th.  If Adell is hitting decently they can just get the on with the Adell era. 

Have to think bigger picture then the 2nd wild card game.  

Yes, our catcher of the future or a starting rotation arm.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yes, our catcher of the future or a starting rotation arm.  

Honestly I don’t think it needs to be that significant of a return.  If Kole can bring back a prospect that would immediately go into our top  15 (if it’s a younger prospect) to me that’s something you must do. Prospect capital and accumulating as much of it as possible is still a primary concern for the club. 

I edited into the above post that we also have Walsh that can man RF.  Kole is pretty expendable for us. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

I agree that the 2nd wild card isn't exactly a fun primary goal, but you have to be realistic.  As @Stradling mentioned, there aren't a lot of holes to fill anymore and that includes whoever is carrying over to next year.  It's basically just the rotation and one of those fixes is currently on our roster.  The realistic part is that the Astros are just beefcake.  Their offense is ridiculous yet I don't think we're that far off from them and we have a comparable bullpen.  Our rotation will be on the upswing next year and toward the end of this year even.  Their's will need repair.  But they are a really really good team and our ultimate goal of winning the division this year just isn't realistic even if Harvey turned into an ace and Cahill became serviceable.  

I do think Eppler is going to have to make some tough choices at the deadline though.  Boston is better constructed and likely to make a serious run while Cleveland is probably similar to the halos in terms of where we end up.  Like @tdawg87 mentioned, playing meaningful baseball would be awesome.  I also agree that even if we're within a few games of the WC, it doesn't matter if we're not above .500.  

my criteria for not selling at the deadline would be that we're a few games above .500 and within at least 3-4 games of that WC spot.  I certainly wouldn't buy unless some weird deal for a starter is there that Billy can't pass up.  One that would help the team for the next 3-4 years after this one.  

but if we're at or below .500 and more than 5 games back of the 2nd WC, sell off all expiring assets and get what you can.  Treat is like the draft where BPA takes precedent and get assets.  

51 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I think the big question is what to do with a guy like La Stella. Obviously there is plenty of time left in the season but if he keeps this up you have to think he is worth a big trade piece down at the deadline. With what he has done this year there is no way the Angels pony up the money to retain him for 2020.

Someone like Calhoun won't be back next year but there is time to trade him after the season if he keeps hitting well.

La Stella is Arb eligible. So in the same boat as Goodwin, the club could keep or trade him in the off season.

It's not within this franchise's DNA to not play to win. If this team has any kind of shot at postseason play - Kole will not be traded. I believe they have a reasonable shot at the postseason when you consider who could be added to the roster (internally).

They will have to be better than the Red Sox/Indians the rest of the way. The A’s are another team that are going to be in the mix. It’s not impossible at all but it’s not exactly likely I’d say. When Felix Pena is your best starting pitcher it’s always going to be tough (no knock on him). I think Canning will be our best pitcher soon though