• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

We're gonna take the 2nd wild card

I want our current team to be competitive enough to deserve to be upgraded at the deadline.  What is funny is when you look at our current roster and how it is performing the only realistic area to upgrade is the rotation.  I don’t think we upgrade 1st base, can’t really upgrade anywhere else on the infield or the outfield if by chance they continue to perform like they have been.  I mean possibly a legit lefty in the pen.  I am optimistic about this group of players because of guys that are hitting like Fletcher, Goodwin, Kole and La Stella.  Canning and Buttrey add to the optimism.  

4 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

.500 is great and all but I really just want them to beat this Facking mediocre lefty starter for a change 

I would love for @Jeff Fletcher to check this out.

How bad has this team been against LHP over the last, say 5 years? 

And most importantly, how do we change it? We have a RHH heavy lineup and have for a while. You'd think we'd crush lefties but lol

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

2.5 out and neither Cleveland nor Boston are very good.

It's legitimately doable. 

But it starts by getting to .500. 

Im not sure i would say neither is very good, though they are playing well beneath themselves right now.
Regardless i think well get our first glimpse of what we can be in the next few days with a poor matchup tonight and the Twins coming in behind it.  If we can come out of these next 4 days at 500+, ill start to believe. 

I don’t watch scores until August really. I root for AL West teams to lose and the Angels to go on a run. Everything else works itself out. It’ll be interesting to see how they deal with the rotation as the bullpen and lineup are good enough to get them to the playoffs

8 minutes ago, floplag said:

Im not sure i would say neither is very good, though they are playing well beneath themselves right now.
Regardless i think well get our first glimpse of what we can be in the next few days with a poor matchup tonight and the Twins coming in behind it.  If we can come out of these next 4 days at 500+, ill start to believe. 

I think Cleveland is an 84 win team. Their offense is just awful this year. Their pitching has carried them so far.

Boston is probably about the same. I'm just not feeling it from either team.

I think, realistically the 2nd wildcard could be won with 86 wins. Again, doable.

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It is going to be an interesting deadline.  I could easily see a scenario where Cleveland sells off Bauer and Kluber.  At the same time I could see us trading off lots of players as well.  

I could be mistaken of course but the only scenario where i see us not trading off some guys is if we are in control of the WC, not just in the mix.  
Ill qualify that by saying that i think the team needs to make room for guys in the future plans especially on the SP side so keeping them and getting nothing for guys like Cahill and Harvey makes little sense.

1 minute ago, floplag said:

I could be mistaken of course but the only scenario where i see us not trading off some guys is if we are in control of the WC, not just in the mix.  
Ill qualify that by saying that i think the team needs to make room for guys in the future plans especially on the SP side so keeping them and getting nothing for guys like Cahill and Harvey makes little sense.

I disagree.  If the team is within a couple of games they won’t trade off Kole or pretty much anyone else except maybe a Cahill or Harvey if they turn it around and we have enough health to replace them.  

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I think Cleveland is an 84 win team. Their offense is just awful this year. Their pitching has carried them so far.

Boston is probably about the same. I'm just not feeling it from either team.

I think, realistically the 2nd wildcard could be won with 86 wins. Again, doable.

I agree thats what they look like, but they were projected to win 96.  Min was projected to win only 83, TB 84.   
TB and Min right now are on 100 win paces if my math is right, i dont see that happening.
Bos and Cle are on 86+ win pace while under achieving. 
I think some of these are going to average out before all is said and done and i dont think right now we have the guns to match it on the SP side.  WE will get better in that regard later on with changes but not in time enough to make the difference.  
I said going in we would be in the mix but fall short, i dont see anything to suggest otherwise yet although the offense has developed much faster than i thought it would. 

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

I agree thats what they look like, but they were projected to win 96.  Min was projected to win only 83, TB 84.   
TB and Min right now are on 100 win paces if my math is right, i dont see that happening.
Bos and Cle are on 86+ win pace while under achieving. 
I think some of these are going to average out before all is said and done and i dont think right now we have the guns to match it on the SP side.  WE will get better in that regard later on with changes but not in time enough to make the difference.  
I said going in we would be in the mix but fall short, i dont see anything to suggest otherwise yet although the offense has developed much faster than i thought it would. 

I mean ultimately you aren't wrong at all. I just personally don't see Cleveland or Boston as better than the Angels this year.

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I disagree.  If the team is within a couple of games they won’t trade off Kole or pretty much anyone else except maybe a Cahill or Harvey if they turn it around and we have enough health to replace them.  

Well Kole is an interesting and perhaps difficult decision.  What they do with him will be determined i think on 2 things, #1 do they feel Adell is truly going to be ready to open 20 in the bigs, and #2 how soon if at all Upton actually is able to contribute.  Goodwin has been a pleasant surprise and i could see him sticking but Kole may be one of those guys hat isnt on the block quite yet this season.  But lets not forget we also have Parker tucked away on the farm doing well so, it could go either way.
I do think the arms will get dealt for whatever they can be had for, but im not sure anyone else is part of that discussion if they are in the mix.  
Perhaps i should have been more clear, im not talking wholesale moves if they are close, but there will still be a few i think either way.  

Just now, tdawg87 said:

I mean ultimately you aren't wrong at all. I just personally don't see Cleveland or Boston as better than the Angels this year.

Fair enough though right now both are above 500 and we are not so  :)  it could go either way but both teams have what should be good enough pitching to improve.

Just now, Stradling said:

Well if you don’t trade Kole this season you probably aren’t picking up his option to trade him in the off season.  

Why not?  if Adell needs another year is the option really so terrible at this point?  Yes its expensive but if it isnt a trade that actually helps, why do it only to have to spend to replace him for 20 all over again.   Saving maybe half the dollar value of that deal may or may not be worth it in that case to go with an unknown.  I dont think Goodwin goes for a 1 yr deal if he continues to play well but well have to see where that goes.  
Im just playing devlis advocate but hes not the shit pile some think he is so it could be worse is all im saying 

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

Fair enough though right now both are above 500 and we are not so  :)  it could go either way but both teams have what should be good enough pitching to improve.

Why not?  if Adell needs another year is the option really so terrible at this point?  Yes its expensive but if it isnt a trade that actually helps, why do it only to have to spend to replace him for 20 all over again.   Saving maybe half the dollar value of that deal may or may not be worth it in that case to go with an unknown.  I dont think Goodwin goes for a 1 yr deal if he continues to play well but well have to see where that goes.  
Im just playing devlis advocate but hes not the shit pile some think he is so it could be worse is all im saying 

Goodwin is arbitration eligible and isn’t a free agent until 2023.  So he will be here if they want him here.  I like KoleI always have, but he isn’t part of the future and if you could trade him and get back another future piece you should consider it.  However they simply won’t trade him if they are right in the thick of it within a couple of games of the wild card.

47 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So do we root for the Red Sox to beat the Astros or since Boston is ahead of us in the Wild Card do we root for the Astros?  I hate the Red Sox, so I want them to lose.  

Root against the Red Sux all the way, since the 2nd WC is a possibility.   

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Goodwin is arbitration eligible and isn’t a free agent until 2023.  So he will be here if they want him here.  I like KoleI always have, but he isn’t part of the future and if you could trade him and get back another future piece you should consider it.  However they simply won’t trade him if they are right in the thick of it within a couple of games of the wild card.

This 

Kole’s experience is good to have, especially putting up the OPS that he has so far to go with the defense.

Only if they fall pretty much out of it by late July, would I then trade him to a contender.

I think the big question is what to do with a guy like La Stella. Obviously there is plenty of time left in the season but if he keeps this up you have to think he is worth a big trade piece down at the deadline. With what he has done this year there is no way the Angels pony up the money to retain him for 2020.

Someone like Calhoun won't be back next year but there is time to trade him after the season if he keeps hitting well.

30 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I think Goodwin is expendable regardless. Harvey and Cahill definitely, but I don't see anyone trading a dog turd wrapped in a thin napkin for Cahill.

I hope Cahill is right about finding his changeup again.

That guy >>>>>>> Cacahill so far in 2019.