• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Simmons extension

Anyone heard if they are working on an extension to keep him in Anaheim past 2020? He seems to enjoy being an Angel, is a GG shortstop, has picked it up offensively and is a good clubhouse presence. Seems like a no brainer. So what would an extension look like? 5/90-95mill? What would he command as a free agent?

@Jeff Fletcher any news?

3 hours ago, yamsi12 said:

Anyone heard if they are working on an extension to keep him in Anaheim past 2020? He seems to enjoy being an Angel, is a GG shortstop, has picked it up offensively and is a good clubhouse presence. Seems like a no brainer. So what would an extension look like? 5/90-95mill? What would he command as a free agent?

@Jeff Fletcher any news?

You would know if I knew. 

I think you've got to let him play out his remaining contract, see where he's at in late 2020. If he shows no signs of decline, offer him 5/$100M before he hits the open market. If he starts slowing a bit, then you could let him go to free agency and go with Fletcher or Rengifo at SS, save some money.

6 hours ago, Scott34 said:

This will (and should) command much more than $90M

image.png.3a19c861badf0471521d54e90c98dd0a.png

I like Simmons. A lot. I still wouldn’t give him $100mil. Considering his bat has only played the last few years, his decline at the plate is likely to come suddenly. His defense is generational, but as an over 30 FA, I’m not paying 20 per year for a glove only, which means I need to be positive his bat will remain at least average till his mid thirties. That’s risky. 

39 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The tricky part is his age. 

His next contract will start at 31. Not a lot of everyday shortstops 31 and over. He’s probably an exception. But it’s hard to predict. 

It didn't seem to be a problem with Pujols (at the time), and Simmons is more likely to age more gracefully than Albert. I not saying a 10 year extension, but maybe 3 yrs with an option or 2 more after that.

$100 million for Simmons’ age 31-35 years?

Bogaerts got $120 million for his age 27-32 seasons, with $20 million vesting option for age 33. 

I think a 3 year extension for ~$45 million (after the $15 million he’s set to make in 2020) plus a 4th year $15 million option is more realistic.

Edited by Jinzu
Looked at SS contract comps

29 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

It didn't seem to be a problem with Pujols (at the time), and Simmons is more likely to age more gracefully than Albert. I not saying a 10 year extension, but maybe 3 yrs with an option or 2 more after that.

1. Pujols didn’t derive his value from defense at an up the middle position. 

2. Pujols contract has been pretty bad.

I’d be fine with what I described above.  As in adding another 2 or 3 years to his stay with the Angels and giving him a raise now.  But mostly what makes sense is waiting until the end of this deal.  Offering him like 3 years on a fair AAV and if he wants to stay great.  If not we’ve got Fletcher and Rengifo.  

Simmons is one of my favorite Angels ever, but I don’t want the team paying him a premium for possibly down years.  I’ve spent enough time in the last 10 years watching them be hamstrung by bad contracts. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

25 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

1. Pujols didn’t derive his value from defense at an up the middle position. 

2. Pujols contract has been pretty bad.

Granted but all said was they thought it was worth it at the time. Simmons' body type seems to be more likely to age better, plus I only suggested 3 yrs with options, not 10 yrs with a record breaking contract.

2 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Pujols  at the time was the best player in baseball for his generation.  Simmons is the best defensive shortstop for his generation.  Not the best player

2 hours ago, stormngt said:

Pujols  at the time was the best player in baseball for his generation.  Simmons is the best defensive shortstop for his generation.  Not the best player

And I'm not suggesting giving him a record contract for 10 years either, clearly Pujols had just finished his worst season of his career at the time we signed him. We gave him a contract that will take him til he's 42 yrs old.

If we give Simmons a 3 yr extension he will be 35, not the same thing at all. I don't get all the opposition to my suggestion. Jeter was 40 when he retired, I have little doubt Simmons won't regress nearly as sharply as Albert has.

8 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Granted but all said was they thought it was worth it at the time. Simmons' body type seems to be more likely to age better, plus I only suggested 3 yrs with options, not 10 yrs with a record breaking contract.

I could see 3 and an option. But not anything like 5 or 6. 

20 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

You would know if I knew. 

I'm not sure I 100% believe you here. I think it may be more true that: "if you were able to say anything without burning a bridge in the Angels FO, you would have said something."

Granted, in this case, I think its likely that you actually haven't heard anything.