• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Simmons a trade candidate?

MLB.com mentioned him as a player that could be traded (too lazy to find the link - someone posted it in another thread). The more I think about it, the more it kind of makes sense with Fletcher and Rengifo, not to mention Jones, Jackson, Soto, etc. Sure, He's a bonafide star shortstop. But he also has significant trade value, especially with 1.5 years left on his current--very club-friendly--contract (assuming he would get traded in July).

I'm not saying it will or should happen, but is worth considering - if someone offers a nice prospect package or a young high ceiling pitcher.

Discuss.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

If the value the Halos get in return is worth it, then yes. His defense would be hard to replace though 

It's not just his defense though. I honestly think he's the smartest human on the diamond and while he's not Trout at the plate, his bat isn't too shabby either. 

My wife told me after last night's game that she think Simmons will be a sought after manager once he retires. 

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

It's not just his defense though. I honestly think he's the smartest human on the diamond and while he's not Trout at the plate, his bat isn't too shabby either. 

My wife told me after last night's game that she think Simmons will be a sought after manager once he retires. 

I’m not saying I’d be quick to trade him but nobody (except Trout) should be untouchable. 

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I would really hate to see him go, but if we could get a legitimate 3rd baseman or catcher and a potential top of the rotation arm you have to at least consider it, even though he is the best defensively I have ever seen at any position.  

He is under contract until 2022 I think and is one of the very best players on the team.  You would need a legit 3b and a top of the rotation arm.

2 minutes ago, nate said:

He is under contract until 2022 I think and is one of the very best players on the team.  You would need a legit 3b and a top of the rotation arm.

Yep, that is why I said 3rd or catcher AND a top of the rotation arm.  I think we have Simmons for this year and next.  Do we really have him for another year or two after that? 

Simmons leaving the Angels would for me be the most painful player to see go.  I’m not old enough for some of the guys from the late 70’s and 80’s. 

But.....this could be a sell high opportunity.  Like @Chuckster70 says.  If some team absolutely backs up the truck for him.  Potentially this moves the Angels closer to a serious contention window.  My biggest thing is that I’m not sure what kind of contract I’d want to give him should they extend him.  IMO you really can’t pay guys significantly if they aren’t going to deliver with the bat.  Simmons is solid now,  and I’m not concerned about his fielding work declining.  But I’m not sure how the bat plays as he exits his prime years. 

Well, that's what is appealing about the idea: The Angels could sell high and also be able to replace him with something halfway decent.

Let's say Simmons is good for 5-6 WAR a season. Fletcher or Rengifo seem capable of 3 WAR. That's a loss of 2-3 WAR. But then you add in salary and club control. And then you think in terms of what you get in return: probably at least a grade A-/A prospect and one or two B range prospects. 

But they certainly don't have to trade him, which means that if they do it will be for something very, very good.

As noted he's currently signed through 2020 which is his age 30 season.  I think his skill set should age well as far as defense goes but he'll be in line for a multiyear contract and a raise.  I would think he gets more than the 15M a year he's set to make next year while Lindor/Baez/Correa could all set the market if they have some of their arbitration years bought out.  They don't have to trade him but if they aren't going to extend him or try to then I think you definitely test the waters.  You might not get what he's worth but is the team willing to possibly pay his next contract when the reality is he's going to start declining? 

26 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

As Chuckster said, Simmons is just such a smart player.  The play he made last night letting that ball drop and doubling off the Blue Jay player is just something that most players wouldn't consider.  His defense is really good, and while I thought he was getting a little "pull happy" earlier in the season, his hit to right center last night was vintage Simmons.

I'd hate to see him go, but no one is immune.