• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Simmons a trade candidate?

And to be clear, I’m not for trading Simmons.  I just think that there are scenarios that would make it something that makes sense for the good of the team.  And the clock is ticking on his time as a player in what’s traditionally considered “prime years” 

the Angels are entering a time where there really needs to be urgency to be a contender.  Urgency to be a contender is not how I would describe what they did this last offseason. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

Well, its well known that I'm a listen to anything type of guy, but it would have to be a very large haul to get past about 2 mins worth of conversation that directly addresses very specific needs.
I hope we do not go down this road and that he is extended.  Do you have those talks, yes, but you have them with a very high bar and very specific targets.  As @Stradling mentioned if we could get a top flight C or 3B or the proverbial "ace" then yeah, you consider it.

Here’s a thing to consider.  Who would be interested in giving him say.  5 years and 100 million? Keep in mind that he’ll be 31 once his contract with the Halos expires. 

As I said before.  I’m really not sure what kind of contract I’d want to give him.  I think 5/100 is a wholly justified ask on his end - should his current production keep up.  Which I anticipate it will. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

MLB.com mentioned him as a player that could be traded (too lazy to find the link - someone posted it in another thread). The more I think about it, the more it kind of makes sense with Fletcher and Rengifo, not to mention Jones, Jackson, Soto, etc. Sure, He's a bonafide star shortstop. But he also has significant trade value, especially with 1.5 years left on his current--very club-friendly--contract (assuming he would get traded in July).

I'm not saying it will or should happen, but is worth considering - if someone offers a nice prospect package or a young high ceiling pitcher.

Discuss.

This is one of these things that makes a ton of sense but makes none at all. It would be very tempting to trade him and get some legit players in return.  Angels have some players who could take over his spot.  But he’s also the heart and soul of this team. He does everything right. He also will be 30 this year and his trade value will probably never be this high again. But I just love Simba and would hate for him to be on another team. 

2 minutes ago, jordan said:

This is one of these things that makes a ton of sense but makes none at all. It would be very tempting to trade him and get some legit players in return.  Angels have some players who could take over his spot.  But he’s also the heart and soul of this team. He does everything right. He also will be 30 this year and his trade value will probably never be this high again. But I just love Simba and would hate for him to be on another team. 

Yes, well said. He's also a player that is probably worth more than his WAR number - due to factors people have mentioned, both his heart and head. So yeah, it would have to be an offer that blew Eppler away.

40 minutes ago, Stradling said:

La Stella, Kevan Smith and Bour were all brought in this off season, none of them are plus defenders and might not even be average defenders.  

Those were short term contracts acquired though.   Long term, defense is likely high enough on Epp's list of priorities, that the prospect of Simba even in his 31-35 age seasons is still hard to trade away. 

33 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Here’s a thing to consider.  Who would be interested in giving him say.  5 years and 100 million? Keep in mind that he’ll be 31 once his contract with the Halos expires. 

As I said before.  I’m really not sure what kind of contract I’d want to give him.  I think 5/100 is a wholly justified ask on his end - should his current production keep up.  Which I anticipate it will. 

I can see it, given his solid offense and game changing defense and leadership. 

I'm not sure any team would offer the prospects required for us to pull the trigger on a trade. Usually contenders are looking for more pitching or a middle of the order bat.  

What contender desperately needs a slick fielding shortstop?

6 minutes ago, Rico said:

I'm not sure any team would offer the prospects required for us to pull the trigger on a trade. Usually contenders are looking for more pitching or a middle of the order bat.  

What contender desperately needs a slick fielding shortstop?

I dunno man.  I think any team could use a guy like Andrelton Simmons.  In my mind he’s a championship type player. 

20 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I dunno man.  I think any team could use a guy like Andrelton Simmons.  In my mind he’s a championship type player. 

Certainly every team could use Simmons. But who is giving up a top of the rotation young arm and a blue-chip third baseman for him?  And is that even enough?

Edited by Rico

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Well, that's what is appealing about the idea: The Angels could sell high and also be able to replace him with something halfway decent.

Let's say Simmons is good for 5-6 WAR a season. Fletcher or Rengifo seem capable of 3 WAR. That's a loss of 2-3 WAR. But then you add in salary and club control. And then you think in terms of what you get in return: probably at least a grade A-/A prospect and one or two B range prospects. 

But they certainly don't have to trade him, which means that if they do it will be for something very, very good.

This, exactly. 

Simmons is an otherworldly talent with elite defense at the most important position defensively. It would take a king's ransom to pry him from us, but a team rich in prospects could do just that, and the Angels are at a point in their franchise where they have immediate short-term answers (Cozart, Fletcher, Rengifo) that despite their drop in value, would still only bring us down to what the rest of the league has at SS - and offers us the benefit of new prospects and value elsewhere. 

Unfortunately, the two clubs that made the most sense, Atlanta and San Diego, shored up their infields quite a bit this offseason. Also, I think it hinges a bit on when the Angels really expect their new core to coalesce. If they're thinking it happens as soon as late 2019, 2020, Simmons should probably be held onto a little tighter. If they want to get the current AAA wave into the bigs ASAP, let them take their lumps, and then hope the Rk/A ball guys to then compliment that new core, somewhere more around 2022-2024, then dealing Simmons now to feed either wave makes more sense.