• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Game day thread, Sunday April 7 vs Texas

Glen

3 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

How do you figure Scioscia would have configured the line up differently ? And how would it have been better ?

My thoughts exactly. Most of the roster stinks. Scioscia could do little to improve it if anything. I think Stella at leadoff is to try and get him going maybe. Fletcher is probably the best leadoff guy they have but him at 9 makes sense to try and get other guys to remember how to hit. Simmons and Bour should be flipped and Lucroy probably before Goodwin. Pujols hit a HR yesterday so him at 5 makes sense I guess. Ausmus is still trying to get guys going. This is not the final batting order.

7 minutes ago, floplag said:

if anyone can explain to me how Feltcher is 9th and LaStella 1st, you should seek psychiatric help immediately. 
At this rate with analytics overpowering common sense managers will start to be considered less and less important if all they have to do is read a print out and post it.

What does analytics “overpowering” common sense even mean.  Jesus Christ. 

The 9 hole is a good spot for hitters that get on base or make contact.  It provides opportunity for the mid order thumpers.  Trout and Bour today.  It’s a fine spot for Fletcher.  I realize that his ability to make contact also profiles well batting first.  LaStella is on the team because of  his demonstrated ability to get on base (in his career - not one week of this season) and play multiple positions.  Getting on base is usually regarded as a good thing for lead off hitters.  

This isn't rocket science.  What’s crazy is that we constantly keep trying to run a guy with sub .300 OBP in the lead off spot.  The line up looks better with Kole not leading off. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

8 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

The 9 hole is a good spot for hitters that get on base or make contact.  It provides opportunity for the mid order thumpers.  Trout and Bour today.  It’s a fine spot for Fletcher.  I realize that his ability to make contact also profiles well batting first.  LaStella is on the team because of  his demonstrated ability to get on base (in his career - not one week of this season) and play multiple positions.  Getting on base is usually regards as a good thing for lead off hitters.  

This isn't rocket science.  What’s crazy is that we constantly keep trying to run a guy with sub .300 OBP in the lead off spot.  

Missing the point entirely.  Fletcher is 6 for his last 12 and got on base 4 times yesterday from a lead off spot.  Common sense says, roll with that guy in the leadoff spot.  Common sense does not say "Well in previous seasons with a different team.. as a pinch hitter.. this other guy hitting .167 is 2 for 3 against the starting pitcher so let's lead him off instead and put the 6 for 12 guy where he gets the least at bats.  That's insane and ruining baseball. 

To your last point... La Stella OBP this season .241.....Fletch .333.  

9 minutes ago, HaloWay94 said:

Missing the point entirely.  Fletcher is 6 for his last 12 and got on base 4 times yesterday from a lead off spot.  Common sense says, roll with that guy in the leadoff spot.  Common sense does not say "Well in previous seasons with a different team.. as a pinch hitter.. this other guy hitting .167 is 2 for 3 against the starting pitcher so let's lead him off instead and put the 6 for 12 guy where he gets the least at bats.  That's insane and ruining baseball. 

Just pointless.  The main difference between batting 9 and 1 is that 1 probably ends up with one more at bat.  For David Fletcher that’s not that big of a deal.  It’s still a table setting role.  You’re bitching about nothing.  

And you’re making absurd judgements about LaStella.  You are literally deferring to a tiny chunk of data from the 1st week of season over a much larger amount of data represented by the guys career numbers.  Just reactionary bullshit. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

Just pointless.  The main difference between batting 9 and 1 is that 1 probably ends up with one more at bat.  For David Fletcher that’s not that big of a deal.  It’s still a table setting role.  You’re bitching about nothing.  

And you’re making absurd judgements about LaStella.  You are literally deferring to a tiny chunk of data from the 1st week of season over a much larger amount of data represented by the guys career numbers.  Just reactionary bullshit. 

Rokay.  Let's let him hit for 3 months like Valbuena and hope he magically becomes a valuable starter.  La Stella has no career numbers to back him up as a starter.  All of his numbers are as a national league bench guy/pinch hitter.  If you don't see the difference between starting every day and pinch hitting once a game, well I don't know what to say.  The numbers won't translate they never do.   

Just to be clear- you are saying it makes more sense to put Fletcher 9 and La Stella lead off today?? Give me a break.

Fletcher has proven where he belongs.

43 minutes ago, floplag said:

if anyone can explain to me how Feltcher is 9th and LaStella 1st, you should seek psychiatric help immediately. 
At this rate with analytics overpowering common sense managers will start to be considered less and less important if all they have to do is read a print out and post it.

How else can Ausmus make sure Trout bats lead off?

29 minutes ago, HaloWay94 said:

This is exactly why Fletcher shouldn’t be leading off, his OBP is his batting average.  I’m not saying La Stella should lead off but once his batting average normalizes his OBP will Out perform Fletcher because he won’t hit .333 all year and his major and minor league career shows he has never walked.