• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Think about all the fun at this year's trade deadline

Docwaukee

We'll be in one of three spots:

1.  Worst case scenario is the team will be sucking and all the 1yr deal players will be as well.   The good news is that all those guys will be done after the season and we'll have a bunch of money to spend the following year.  Plus, Ohtani will be close to being back on the mound. 

2.  Best case is that we're in it and vying for a playoff berth.  Perhaps even buyers.  

3.  Consolation prize is that we're out of it yet some of the 1yr deals are performing well.  Not only does that help the team long term, but it's interesting.  

Lucroy, Harvey, Cahill, Allen, Calhoun.  Maybe we could even find a taker for Cozart or Cam.  Then we get to see more or get a first look at Adell, Rengifo, Canning, Suarez, Thaiss, Ward, Fletcher and maybe Jones, Walsh, Sandoval, Smith, and a few others.  

I truly think Eppler is holding off until next off season to pounce in free agency. I think he’s done well to fill spots with quality veterans who still could have All Star worthy seasons. But next off season is the big target for Eppler and Arte. (Ie Arenado). Why go after the slimy Machado, when you can have Arenado.  

12 minutes ago, jordan said:

I truly think Eppler is holding off until next off season to pounce in free agency. I think he’s done well to fill spots with quality veterans who still could have All Star worthy seasons. But next off season is the big target for Eppler and Arte. (Ie Arenado). Why go after the slimy Machado, when you can have Arenado.  

Why go after arenado when you can have George fuzzytaint in 2029. I’m ok with this off-season based on 1 year deals but at some point they need to establish a team that can compete. Every year we hear, must be waiting for next years FA class...only to do nothing major 

2 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Why go after arenado when you can have George fuzzytaint in 2029. I’m ok with this off-season based on 1 year deals but at some point they need to establish a team that can compete. Every year we hear, must be waiting for next years FA class...only to do nothing major 

Re-hashing this again. The timing hasn’t been right. We need the prospects to be making an impact at the major league level before dipping into free agency. We could, we likely, will be seeing Adell and Canning, at the least, this upcoming season. Then Eppler will be able to begin to fill around Trout, Ohtani, Adell, Canning, and company. 

Not that we won’t be involved next year but we certainly weren’t waiting till next year.  We had runner up offers on too many multi year contracts to pretend this is by design.  Unless Gerrit Cole completely flops this year or signs an extension I see us being involved. Hell we might be even more involved on him next year if he flops this year.  

28 minutes ago, jordan said:

Be abuse there is no guarantee we get arrenado

If things have gone really south - say the 1-yr FA signees aren't doing much and the kids are ready - and Trout has wound up signing an extension already, you can probably toss Skaggs, Simmons, and/or Heaney as possible deadline moves too. Sell off the 1-yr guys and max value vets, bring in some copious additional top prospect talent, promote all the immediate prospect talent, and pivot to a club that looks a lot like the '18 Braves or White Sox and hope for the best.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Not that we won’t be involved next year but we certainly weren’t waiting till next year.  We had runner up offers on too many multi year contracts to pretend this is by design.  Unless Gerrit Cole completely flops this year or signs an extension I see us being involved. Hell we might be even more involved on him next year if he flops this year.  

I think a big factor this offseason for Eppler is that it just so happened most of our targets - and seemingly much of the best and even middle of the FA class - were legitimately East Coast guys. Couple that with the fact that Eppler does. not. overpay. and it just didn't work out. The SP FA class was shit this offseason too. It says a lot when JA Happ and Nate Eovaldi are in the top 5. 

I'm perfectly happy with this offseason and the course Eppler has stuck to. I imagine a lot of this revolves around keeping the farm intact in order to offer a sustainable future to keep Trout convinced LAA will work to be competitive year in and year out, and to keep payroll loose enough for the exact same reason. I don't think it's really much more layered or complicated than that.

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

We'll be in one of three spots:

1.  Worst case scenario is the team will be sucking and all the 1yr deal players will be as well.   The good news is that all those guys will be done after the season and we'll have a bunch of money to spend the following year.  Plus, Ohtani will be close to being back on the mound. 

2.  Best case is that we're in it and vying for a playoff berth.  Perhaps even buyers.  

3.  Consolation prize is that we're out of it yet some of the 1yr deals are performing well.  Not only does that help the team long term, but it's interesting.  

Lucroy, Harvey, Cahill, Allen, Calhoun.  Maybe we could even find a taker for Cozart or Cam.  Then we get to see more or get a first look at Adell, Rengifo, Canning, Suarez, Thaiss, Ward, Fletcher and maybe Jones, Walsh, Sandoval, Smith, and a few others.  

I was thinking about the same thing.  I think it is really smart on Eppler's part.  Fans need to be patient for at least one more year, but the Angels could get some pretty good pieces for these one year contracts if it comes to it.

3 minutes ago, nate said:

I was thinking about the same thing.  I think it is really smart on Eppler's part.  Fans need to be patient for at least one more year, but the Angels could get some pretty good pieces for these one year contracts if it comes to it.

When Richards and Ohtani's UCLs popped, that pretty much turned '19 into a transition year, unfortunately. The fact that we pursued Corbin, Eovaldi, and Happ showed that Eppler at least tried to fill the top-end of the rotation to give '19 that competitive edge going into the season, but short of dangerously overspending to land those guys, it just wasn't realistic. 

And that's okay. We need Ward, Fletcher, Rengifo, Thaiss, Barria, Anderson, Suarez, Canning, and likely Adell to not only make it to the bigs, but at least have a couple of them develop into average or above-average MLBers for us to really have any chance at 1) competing long-term and 2) convincing Trout that the Angels can consistently churn out a supporting cast to keep them competitive. 

Why not do that in 2019? Most of those prospects are ready. It's two years out for Trout. The team has relatively low expectations and a new manager. Let the new core acclimate this season so they can be better adjusted for 2020 when Ohtani returns, Adell likely solidifies himself in RF, and the Angels go into another offseason with plenty of money to work with.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if this winds up being Eppler's best team to date either.

Justin Bour - Best case scenaio, last year was a fluke and he becomes a middle of the order presence for the Angels.  Worst cast scenario is that last year's numbers were a legitimate decline.  Likely Outcome...he's better than last year, but not so much that he'll warrant another look.  He'll even be replaced by Thaiss in September. 

Tommy La Stella - Best case scenario is that the Angels landed an adequate defensive option at 2B and 3B that will reach base enough to justify a top of the order batting slot.  Worst case scenario is that last year's pinch hitting heroics were more of a fluke and just isn't worth a roster spot.  Likely outcome: he isn't as good of a hitter as he was last year, but still better at reaching base than Cozart and Fletcher, so he'll get consistent playing time.  He won't be enough to move the needle, but he won't hurt the Angels either. 

Jon Lucroy - Best case scenario is that he leads the pitching staff the same way he led Oakland's last year, getting the most out of them and his hitting returns close to prior all-star levels.  Worst case scenario is the degradation of his skills further develops and he isn't even a backup anymore.  Likely outcome....he does expertly guide the pitching staff and at the plate, he's a bit better than he was in Oakland last year.  Not a presence anymore, but can still hit .260. 

Matt Harvey - Best case scenario, the dark knight returns, and next winter, he either signs a rich extension or the Angels get a draft pick after the QO.  Worst case scenario, he can't keep the ball in the park and he's Joe Blanton all over again.  Likely outcome: Generates lots of whiffs, great velo and the numbers improve with a good defense behind him, but the long ball still plagues him.  He becomes either a hard throwing #5 starter, or goes the Eovaldi route and works in both the rotation and pen . 

Trevor Cahill - Best case scenario is last year's performance can be recreated across a full season and he becomes borderline worth a QO or extension.  Worst case scenario is he can't stay healthy enough to help in the pen or the rotation.  Middle gorund, he's a solid starter, but only gets you through 130 innings. 

Cody Allen - Best case scenario is he's one of the best in baseball.  Worst case scenario, the velo loss results in him getting absolutely toched.  Likely outcome, he's decent as a closer, but not so much that he won't be unseated by a number of guys. 

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Justin Bour - Best case scenaio, last year was a fluke and he becomes a middle of the order presence for the Angels.  Worst cast scenario is that last year's numbers were a legitimate decline.  Likely Outcome...he's better than last year, but not so much that he'll warrant another look.  He'll even be replaced by Thaiss in September. 

Tommy La Stella - Best case scenario is that the Angels landed an adequate defensive option at 2B and 3B that will reach base enough to justify a top of the order batting slot.  Worst case scenario is that last year's pinch hitting heroics were more of a fluke and just isn't worth a roster spot.  Likely outcome: he isn't as good of a hitter as he was last year, but still better at reaching base than Cozart and Fletcher, so he'll get consistent playing time.  He won't be enough to move the needle, but he won't hurt the Angels either. 

Jon Lucroy - Best case scenario is that he leads the pitching staff the same way he led Oakland's last year, getting the most out of them and his hitting returns close to prior all-star levels.  Worst case scenario is the degradation of his skills further develops and he isn't even a backup anymore.  Likely outcome....he does expertly guide the pitching staff and at the plate, he's a bit better than he was in Oakland last year.  Not a presence anymore, but can still hit .260. 

Matt Harvey - Best case scenario, the dark knight returns, and next winter, he either signs a rich extension or the Angels get a draft pick after the QO.  Worst case scenario, he can't keep the ball in the park and he's Joe Blanton all over again.  Likely outcome: Generates lots of whiffs, great velo and the numbers improve with a good defense behind him, but the long ball still plagues him.  He becomes either a hard throwing #5 starter, or goes the Eovaldi route and works in both the rotation and pen . 

Trevor Cahill - Best case scenario is last year's performance can be recreated across a full season and he becomes borderline worth a QO or extension.  Worst case scenario is he can't stay healthy enough to help in the pen or the rotation.  Middle gorund, he's a solid starter, but only gets you through 130 innings. 

Cody Allen - Best case scenario is he's one of the best in baseball.  Worst case scenario, the velo loss results in him getting absolutely toched.  Likely outcome, he's decent as a closer, but not so much that he won't be unseated by a number of guys. 

Kole Calhoun - solidifies with Reed as hitting coach and returns to a .270/.330/.420/.750 hitter with great defense and gets picked up at the deadline, saving the Angels some dough and opening RF up for Adell. 

Zack Cozart - plays great defense at both 2B and 3B, hits .275/.330/.430/.760 and either establishes himself as a great piece to have in 2020, or an in-demand trade candidate at the deadline of offseason.

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Kole Calhoun - solidifies with Reed as hitting coach and returns to a .270/.330/.420/.750 hitter with great defense and gets picked up at the deadline, saving the Angels some dough and opening RF up for Adell. 

Zack Cozart - plays great defense at both 2B and 3B, hits .275/.330/.430/.760 and either establishes himself as a great piece to have in 2020, or an in-demand trade candidate at the deadline of offseason.

I notice you left out worst case scenario and likely outcome. 

16 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I notice you left out worst case scenario and likely outcome. 

Amended....

Kole Calhoun - solidifies with Reed as hitting coach and, in my mind, his likely outcome is a career-norm type season .270/.330/.420/.750 hitter, with great defense and gets picked up at the deadline, saving the Angels some dough and opening RF up for Adell. Worst case scenario is the volatility and decline he's had continues, remains a .600 OPS guy, and is displaced by Adell midseason, and finishes the year as our 4th OF. I actually think there's a slight chance he has a career year as well, maybe starting to turn into more of a 3-outcome player, producing something crazy like .255/.325/.475/.800.

Zack Cozart - plays great defense at both 2B and 3B, hits .275/.330/.430/.760 and either establishes himself as a great piece to have in 2020, or an in-demand trade candidate at the deadline of offseason. I've never though he'd come close to his 2017, but his '15 and '16 seasons hinted that he still might have turned a corner into being a slightly above-average hitter. That'd be the best case. Worst case scenario is also his likely outcome....something along the lines of .260/.310/.390/.700. Coupled with great defense, this isn't really bad, but certainly does nothing to tilt the needle. Loses playing time to the kids and becomes an expensive Cliff Pennington in '20, unless someone buys him off us.

Edited by totdprods

14 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Amended....

Kole Calhoun - solidifies with Reed as hitting coach and, in my mind, his likely outcome is a career-norm type season .270/.330/.420/.750 hitter, with great defense and gets picked up at the deadline, saving the Angels some dough and opening RF up for Adell. Worst case scenario is the volatility and decline he's had continues, remains a .600 OPS guy, and is displaced by Adell midseason, and finishes the year as our 4th OF. I actually think there's a slight chance he has a career year as well, maybe starting to turn into more of a 3-outcome player, producing something crazy like .255/.325/.475/.800.

Zack Cozart - plays great defense at both 2B and 3B, hits .275/.330/.430/.760 and either establishes himself as a great piece to have in 2020, or an in-demand trade candidate at the deadline of offseason. I've never though he'd come close to his 2017, but his '15 and '16 seasons hinted that he still might have turned a corner into being a slightly above-average hitter. That'd be the best case. Worst case scenario is also his likely outcome....something along the lines of .260/.310/.390/.700. Coupled with great defense, this isn't really bad, but certainly does nothing to tilt the needle. Loses playing time to the kids and becomes an expensive Cliff Pennington in '20, unless someone buys him off us.

I think Cozart and Calhoun's worst case scenarios are much worse than you think.