• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels the "Mystery Team" in on Machado?

Dtwncbad

5 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

In the chat string, Dierkes also notes that it is pretty hard to defend having the same safe payroll three years running as it relates to displaying to Trout the tean's commitment to winning. .  .

Though I do agree that is a point that Trout could raise, I just don’t think the right players, the right time has come to fruition to justify a big payroll increase. And I think Trout can see that. And as Fletcher has been saying, it means more what the Angels will do from 2021-2030 than 2015-2020. 

Edited by jordan

How could the team afford to add a Machado, even if its 8/240? With a Trout and hopefully Simmons extension around the corner, Upton's $20m+ through 2022 and Pujols' dead weight for 3 more years. Not to mention signing Ohtani long-term after he earns a Cy Young in 2020. I just don't see the numbers working out, unless we have an explosion of young cost-controlled talent, which, hopefully occurs. 

1 minute ago, Angel Dog and Beer said:

How could the team afford to add a Machado, even if its 8/240? With a Trout and hopefully Simmons extension around the corner, Upton's $20m+ through 2022 and Pujols' dead weight for 3 more years. Not to mention signing Ohtani long-term after he earns a Cy Young in 2020. I just don't see the numbers working out, unless we have an explosion of young cost-controlled talent, which, hopefully occurs. 

Hasn't the entire organizational team strategy for the last few years been to have an explosion of young, cost controlled talent?

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

I just don't see it....I know Machado is younger but after Pujols and Hamilton, surely Arte has seen how awful most of these mega deals turn out to be...

One was 32 and the other was a known drug addict.

Seriously, how a 26 year old player who is not a drug addict has anything to do with those mistakes is beyond me---other than it being obvious how signing him would NOT be anything like those two mistakes.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Hasn't the entire organizational team strategy for the last few years been to have an explosion of young, cost controlled talent?

I think the implied part of this is that the young cost controlled talent produces at the MLB Level. That has yet to be seen in the likes of the Astros and Indians of recent. 

Edited by jordan

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Because he sometimes shows the maturity of a 21 year-old.   Who knows what clubhouse issues he created in Baltimore and also with the Dogs.

Don't you think this is maybe way, way overplayed (not entirely untrue, just exaggerated) by media that needs easy content?

9 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

One was 32 and the other was a known drug addict.

Seriously, how a 26 year old player who is not a drug addict has anything to do with those mistakes is beyond me---other than it being obvious how signing him would NOT be anything like those two mistakes.

Beyond the fact that Machado has a sucky attitude, it's less about the age than the long term anchor these deals have on your payroll.....whether you're 26 or 32, a long term deal keeps a team from doing lots of things over a long period of time to compete.....Trout is one thing, he is the real deal all the way around, but I just wouldn't invest 300 million and close to 10 years in Harper or Machado....just my opinion....

Im quite certain Trout knows that the plan is, is Eppler has a brain in his head, that conversation has been had.  
As far as the rest, it all comes down to what you believe about financials. 
IF we truly have limitations around the area we have been told and cannot go beyond those levels, then there is quite literally zero chance it happens. 

9 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Beyond the fact that Machado has a sucky attitude, it's less about the age than the long term anchor these deals have on your payroll.....whether you're 26 or 32, a long term deal keeps a team from doing lots of things over a long period of time to compete.....Trout is one thing, he is the real deal all the way around, but I just wouldn't invest 300 million and close to 10 years in Harper or Machado....just my opinion....

At least I know exactly where we disagree.  I think it is all about the age.

It is literally NEVER a good bet that a 31 or 32 years old's best years are in front of them.  It is almost NEVER a good bet they will still even be serviceable in their late late 30s.

It is a very reasonable bet that Machado and Harpers best few seasons are ahead of them and it is also reasonable that they will be serviceable or better through their entire contract.

For me, this all about the age.