• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

On 9/2/2019 at 8:52 AM, Jeff Fletcher said:

Here’s the first question you ask with Rojas: Is he going to be on the 40-man roster in November? 

Yes, he is Rule 5 eligible this year, but you still don’t need to add him to the roster unless you are worried that he’ll get taken. For a team to take him in the Rule 5, they would have to keep him in the majors all of 2020. Generally that’s a lot easier to do with a pitcher. For comparison, Jared Walsh was left unprotected last year.

Now, if you decide you have other guys you’d rather protect, you can’t put Rojas on the 40-man now, because then in November you’ll need to take him off and then he can get claimed, which is a lot different than being taken in the Rule 5. He’s got options so a team could claim him and still have him in the minors. 

The other thing is, my understanding is he doesn’t really have a position he can play capably in the majors. So that puts him behind a guy like Walsh, and maybe even Ward, both of whom did just as well offensively and are, I think, younger. 

52 minutes ago, Baghdad Strad said:

another thing to think about is that the Angels need to be in a position to have a potentially playoff ready roster next year.  They've got some young players ready to contribute and they've got other spots to fill on the roster.  In years past, a courtesy call up wasn't a big deal.  now it is.  

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Ward, Thaiss, and Walsh...would be real nice if these guys could find their stroke at the MLB level.

Ward, in a season's worth of games at SLC (166), has put up .323 .432 1.000 OPS with 35 HRs 116 BB's with 21 SBs.  I know the PLC is ridiculous but there has to be something there...

19 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Rojas wasn't called up because he's not on the 40-man and there are currently no roster spots.  

I'm not sure I'd get rid of anyone off the 40-man right this second in order to make room for him when you don't really have to.  

It kinda sucks but who knows if guys like Jewell, Bard and Cole can't become viable options in the future.  The one guy I'd probably say could be pushed out is Cahill, but at this point the Angels want to maintain their flexibility.  

Your right Canning couldn't be moved to 60 day dl.

The Angels should move Ward back to catcher. Pay Mike Scioscia as a special assistant to teach the catchers the finer points of their craft. Focusing primarily on making Ward the next Jeff Mathis but with the ability to hit.

He has wasted time being a fourth outfielder on a team with three better choices. A waste as a third baseman since the Angels infield is about positional versatility and have a defense is pack my everything but a cannon arm. 

Yes, I know they scrubbed him from the catchers position because of conflicts with the pitching staff. That should be corrected instead of moving a talented player from his natural position. Trading him for some hack reliever with spin rate would be wasting his higher value as a catcher. In fact, his trade value would be higher if he can catch and hit.

30 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The Angels should move Ward back to catcher. Pay Mike Scioscia as a special assistant to teach the catchers the finer points of their craft. Focusing primarily on making Ward the next Jeff Mathis but with the ability to hit.

He has wasted time being a fourth outfielder on a team with three better choices. A waste as a third baseman since the Angels infield is about positional versatility and have a defense is pack my everything but a cannon arm. 

Yes, I know they scrubbed him from the catchers position because of conflicts with the pitching staff. That should be corrected instead of moving a talented player from his natural position. Trading him for some hack reliever with spin rate would be wasting his higher value as a catcher. In fact, his trade value would be higher if he can catch and hit.

the implication as I saw it wasn't that he didn't have the natural talent but that he didn't want to put in the time it takes to handle pitchers appropriately.  You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.  If he's not going to do what it takes in terms of effort, then all the teaching and individual instruction in the world isn't going to help.  

I get what @Blarg is saying and it really would be a boon, but I think Mike Scioscia would sooner knock the kid out and try to squeeze into his gear than try to get Ward to want to work with pitchers.   Say what you will about Maldonado, that dude won MS over the second he asked for tape on his pitchers seconds after being traded for.

It’s possible Ward might be more open to it now that he’s seeing other routes to the majors close up for him as players advance ahead of him. 

I agree with @Blarg, if Ward is open to it, at least returning to catcher in a back-up role could be incredibly valuable for both him and the Angels. 

57 minutes ago, totdprods said:

It’s possible Ward might be more open to it now that he’s seeing other routes to the majors close up for him as players advance ahead of him. 

I agree with @Blarg, if Ward is open to it, at least returning to catcher in a back-up role could be incredibly valuable for both him and the Angels. 

This has nothing to do with Ward's willingness to catch and everything to do with the Angels wanting him too.

12 minutes ago, ettin said:

This has nothing to do with Ward's willingness to catch and everything to do with the Angels wanting him too.

I didn’t read through everything and I don’t know what’s really true in regards to why he was moved, but doesn’t change that it makes some sense for both parties to re-assess now. 

Even if Ward wasn’t a true back-up catcher, and the Angels kept Stassi, a back-up, and Ward (provided he’s hitting) as a C/1B/3B/LF he’d be useful being able to catch a few innings here and there depending on roster construction. 

Total random scenario, say Stassi starts, maybe Ward at 1B (or bench), then later in game, Pujols/Ohtani PH for Stassi in a key moment, drives in key go-ahead runs, Ward moves to C, Pujols stays in at 1B, or La Stella moves to 1B and someone like Cozart comes in, improving overall Infield defense while losing a bit behind the plate. Or if Grandal is signed and expected to be more of a 50/50 1B/C, they might be covered just fine between Stassi, Grandal, and Ward.

If Stassi never comes around with the bat but does indeed being all he’s hyped as a defender, having a bench player who can function as a 3rd string catcher, in more than an emergency capacity, could come in handy. Dude has to hit though. 

For 2020, since all have options remaining, the Angels could really rotate Walsh, Ward, and Rengifo, to a lesser degree Jones, Rojas, and Thaiss, all through the last bench spot based on bench need. Walsh being a two-way player, Ward as an occasional catcher, and Rengifo used similarly to Figgins give them a trio of Swiss Army Knife options. 

Edited by totdprods

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

trade to the Mariners?  

Something like Ward for Erik Swanson isn’t too far-fetched, IMO, and fits the mold of the SP trade I’ve been theorizing in other trades. Jones could be an alternative to Ward as well. 

Swanson hasn’t looked very good in the bigs, neither has Ward, but both have similar minor league pedigree and track record to dream on, similar control.

It’s not the big ticket SP acquisition we need and surely not the only one we make, but it’d be adding another promising arm (he has been a piece in two major trades) cheaply for a spare, redundant part. 

Edited by totdprods

First instructional league action today with a 7-inning intrasquad game at the #Angels complex. Best hitter in the game was Jordyn Adams, who tripled twice. Best hitter not in the game was Vladimir Guerrero Sr., who was coaching first base.
3:47 PM · Sep 13, 2019·Twitter Web App

1 hour ago, John Smith said:
First instructional league action today with a 7-inning intrasquad game at the #Angels complex. Best hitter in the game was Jordyn Adams, who tripled twice. Best hitter not in the game was Vladimir Guerrero Sr., who was coaching first base.

This post wins.

On 9/13/2019 at 5:01 PM, John Smith said:

Love it. Vladdy was giving the "go" sign on infield hits flagged by the 3B im betting.

Blasphemous i know, but whereas trout is the better player (by far), Vlad will always be "cooler". 

4 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Love it. Vladdy was giving the "go" sign on infield hits flagged by the 3B im betting.

Blasphemous i know, but whereas trout is the better player (by far), Vlad will always be "cooler". 

Not blasphemous. Vladdy was cool and funny as shit and he also doesn't wear condoms. 

Trout is basically a human condom.