• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Good stuff. this is the only one that I'll quibble with. I think Marsh could have a better hit tool than Adell, if we're talking contact and batting average. They could hit similarly in the majors, but I'd give Marsh the edge.

Marsh has 289 strikeouts in 1186 plate appearances and a minor league career batting average of .287.  Adell has 245 in 975 and has a career batting average of .296.  Adell hit .326 in A Ball, Brandon Marsh hit .295.  Adell hit .290 in Advanced A Ball and Marsh hit .256.  Adell hit .308 in AA this year at age 20, and Marsh has hit .299 at age 21.

I know that we're all "feeling" each other on Brandon Marsh right now, but let's keep a little perspective.  He's not a better hitter than Jo Adell.  Not in contact, not in batting average, nor in power.  He has better plate discipline though.   

Brandon Marsh is underrated by most prospect sites, but there's a reason Jo Adell is one of the two best position prospects in all of baseball, and most of it has to do with his bat. 

5 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Marsh has 289 strikeouts in 1186 plate appearances and a minor league career batting average of .287.  Adell has 245 in 975 and has a career batting average of .296.  Adell hit .326 in A Ball, Brandon Marsh hit .295.  Adell hit .290 in Advanced A Ball and Marsh hit .256.  Adell hit .308 in AA this year at age 20, and Marsh has hit .299 at age 21.

I know that we're all "feeling" each other on Brandon Marsh right now, but let's keep a little perspective.  He's not a better hitter than Jo Adell.  Not in contact, not in batting average, nor in power.  He has better plate discipline though.   

Brandon Marsh is underrated by most prospect sites, but there's a reason Jo Adell is one of the two best position prospects in all of baseball, and most of it has to do with his bat. 

OK, but the thing is that unless Adell develops more plate discipline, his batting average will be more exploited in the major leagues. Marsh's BA seems more sustainable due to his plate discipline.

They're close, but I'm saying slight edge: Marsh (for bat tool).

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

OK, but the thing is that unless Adell develops more plate discipline, his batting average will be more exploited in the major leagues. Marsh's BA seems more sustainable due to his plate discipline.

They're close, but I'm saying slight edge: Marsh (for bat tool).

I suppose, but Marsh is just as strikeout prone as Adell, probably a little more.  So logically, Marsh will likely swing and miss more in the majors than he has in the minors, which could also result in a significant decrease in batting average. 

Marsh's biggest thing is his GB%.  If his line drive percentage is going to remain lower as it is, then he can't be hitting the ball not he ground more than 50% of the time.  I know we all talk about launch angle revolution and everything, and it's becoming a bit cliche, but in Marsh's case that would truly revolutionize his game. 

Also, I'm not saying this to delegitimize Marsh's recent performance, but I'm always leery of breakout performances this time of year.  There' s a lot of promotions that happen in August, particularly on the mound, and you think that this player has successfully "figured out" a level, only to realize they have been pounding on a lot of players that talent-wise, are still a step below them. 

Again, that doesn't mean Marsh's recent hot streak is that.  I'm only saying it happens this time of year. 

Adell 3-5 tonight with a double.  

10 for his last 26 not including those 2hrs that got washed out.  3 doubles during that stretch.  Still whiffing a ton and not really walking much, but it's a good start.  

Rojas hit his 30th.  He now has 30/105 with a .955 ops.  I hope they call him up for sept.  

knowles 2/4, double. 

Jackson back in the lineup.  1-4 with a double and 3k

deveaux debut at orem didn't go well.  0-5 with 5k.  

Caleb Scires, a 20yo (soon to be 21 in about 4 days) is a 17th rounder in 2017.  LHed hitter.  Plays OF.  2-5 tonight with his 5th multi hit game in a row.  Picked up from a texas JC.  He's got a .911 ops for the season with a ton of walks and a ton of K (45k and 17bb in 97 at bats).