Rojas isn't someone you wish on, not in the traditional sense....  But after all the shit-tastic garbage that's happened Jose Rojas is the sort of make good story I'd really enjoy right now.  Dude went to Anaheim High, grew up a legit Angels fan and somehow Mo Vaughn was his favorite player...

If nothing else I'd love to see a guy reach his dreams.

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yeah I think even if they think he’s purely a PCL product and the defense isn’t MLB caliber, they should give him some Sept. at-bats and DFA in the winter if needed. Maybe someone gives him a chance, maybe he goes back to SLC, but either way he got to play for his hometown team. 

I don't think it's fair to say that he's a PCL product when he hit 17 HR in just 84 games, while posting a .935 OPS in Mobile and in the Texas League last season. Tough park and league to put up those types of numbers. 

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I don't think it's fair to say that he's a PCL product when he hit 17 HR in just 84 games, while posting a .935 OPS in Mobile and in the Texas League last season. Tough park and league to put up those types of numbers. 

I'd love nothing more than to see the guy become brown Matt Stairs.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Rojas isn't someone you wish on, not in the traditional sense....  But after all the shit-tastic garbage that's happened Jose Rojas is the sort of make good story I'd really enjoy right now.  Dude went to Anaheim High, grew up a legit Angels fan and somehow Mo Vaughn was his favorite player...

If nothing else I'd love to see a guy reach his dreams.

they're gonna have to add him to the 40 man this winter anyway because he'll for sure get grabbed in the R5 draft if they don't.  they might as well just give him a look now.  

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

I'd love nothing more than to see the guy become brown Matt Stairs.

Ha, I love that! 

I think he's be a pretty good versatile guy and powerful lefty off the bench. Him and Walsh for next season. 

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

they're gonna have to add him to the 40 man this winter anyway because he'll for sure get grabbed in the R5 draft if they don't.  they might as well just give him a look now.  

I think we'll see Herm, Rojas, Walsh and Ward up. 

Just glad that Marsh, Adell, Jones are in the AFL so we'll have some prospects to follow in Sept/Oct. 

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

that was good for a 162 wRC+ last year.  #1 in the southern league for anyone with more that 350 PA.  

21 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Oh don’t get me wrong, I’ve always believed there was something there. He has almost always hit every year. He hit in ST. But the Angels don’t seem to think much of his defense and even if he is maybe a Valbuena/Marte equivalent with the bat (in their better times of production) the lack of glove and lack of elite offense might kick him to the curb, especially with so many other infielders ahead of him either already doing both or with the potential to do a lot more of both.

I’d like the Angels to add him, move Thaiss for pitching, and let him fill the Bour/Thaiss role in ‘20 as corner infielder bench bat with some pop. I think it’d be the best use for him and best use of Thaiss.

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Oh don’t get me wrong, I’ve always believed there was something there. He has almost always hit every year. He hit in ST. But the Angels don’t seem to think much of his defense and even if he is maybe a Valbuena/Marte equivalent with the bat (in their better times of production) the lack of glove and lack of elite offense might kick him to the curb, especially with so many other infielders ahead of him either already doing both or with the potential to do a lot more of both.

I’d like the Angels to add him, move Thaiss for pitching, and let him fill the Bour/Thaiss role in ‘20 as corner infielder bench bat with some pop. I think it’d be the best use for him and best use of Thaiss.

Yeah I think the Angels could get more in return for Ward and Thaiss being former 1st round picks who can play multiple positions over Rojas and Walsh, though the latter two may have more value to our team going forward. 

I don't have any data on Ward's defense in LF. Anyone? I mean he's athletic enough to stick there and has a great arm. Could have some value in a trade if you take his past two minor league seasons into play. 

Unfortunately we don't have anywhere to play him. 

Jeremiah Jackson went 3-5 with 5 RBI and a walk tonight, hitting HR number 23 on the year which ties the Pioneer League record for most HR's. 

Jackson has a .991 OPS on the season. 

31 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Jeremiah Jackson went 3-5 with 5 RBI and a walk tonight, hitting HR number 23 on the year which ties the Pioneer League record for most HR's. 

Jackson has a .991 OPS on the season. 

hot swoon GIF

3 minutes ago, popo85 said:

The question now is where will Jackson be ranked, to me he is at least a top 50 prospect. And hey there's nothing wrong with a little love for Mo lol.

I don't think he's quite there yet. Jackson is still quite raw, with a 32% K rate to a 9% walk rate. That said, he's still doing this despite being about 2 years younger than the average Pioneer league player. His stock is rising for sure and it could be argued that he's the Angels 3rd best prospect, but he's going to have to show what he can do in A ball before I see him getting ranked in any top 100 lists.

Marsh, on the other hand, should definitely crack the top 100 again.

I agree with tdawg and would add that he's not top 50 because he hasn't played above Rookie ball - hard to rank a player in the top 50 if he hasn't even played A level. I'd also like to see him hit for a higher average and/or draw more walks before considering him an elite prospect.

But yeah, I think he's 3 or 4 in the org behind Adell, Marsh, and probably Adams. I'd rank him ahead of any other position player. Soriano probably rounds out the top 5.

Jackson shows up as #4 on mine as well, sandwiched between Adams and Soriano.  Adell is a top 5 overall prospect in my opinion.  Currently, Marsh should rank somewhere about 70-80 in my opinion, but if he were to learn to elevate the ball while still hitting for average then he too would be a top 10 prospect, but he isn't there yet obviously.  But it does say a lot that Eppler is unwilling to trade him, even with the OF as full as it is.  I think Eppler will find a way to keep him, even if it means moving Upton to 1B and part time DH, or just swallowing that bitter pill and moving Marsh to 1B despite his OF defense.

Adams should crack the top 100 in my opinion as well.  Not a single player ranked in the bottom half of the top 100 lists has his upside, and again, 19 years old and in Advanced A Ball, and this is still just his first year playing baseball specifically.  I think he deserves to be somewhere around 80 or 90.  And Jackson, he hasn't moved out of Rookie Ball yet, but has broken HR records there as a 19 year old.  Still too much swing and miss to his game at the low levels.  At the higher levels, he could turn into a Gareth Morgan type if he doesn't get that under control.  A couple of sites may but him right there between 95-100, more as a reminder to keep an eye on him, but I wouldn't count on it.  But if Jackson hits in A Ball next year, then he can and will crack the top 100. 

I'm really liking the way Fangraphs ranks their top prospects.  They don't get overly hung up on a 'top 100' but ran guys by future value.  I don't necessarily agree with all their assessments on the Angles players but I like their system.  

They've got about 130 guys with 50 FV or value or higher.  Personally feel like Adams falls in that group along with Adell and Marsh.  

Adams peripherals were very encouraging in A ball this year.  He had a rough first month and then hit about .285 with a .360 obp over his next 300+ PA.  His k rate during that time was about 20% and his BB rate almost 12%.  So he's showing good discipline while still being a solid hitter.  The only thing missing is any real power at this point, but he'll fill in and get stronger over time.  The reason I am so encouraged by his progress is he's got so little baseball experience.  

Jackson has ridiculous pop but a fair way to go in terms of discipline.  He'll take a walk but from I've seen, he's highly susceptible to a breaking ball which he's yet to really have a feel for.  He's not a 50 FV guy as of yet imo and therefore doesn't deserve to be in that top 130 right now.  He's a 45+ guy imo.  

I disagree about Soriano only being a mid rotation guy if it comes together for him.  He's got top of the rotation potential.  Another 45+ FV guy imo.  

Soriano seems like a big wildcard. High ceiling but very low floor. From what I've seen and read he absolutely has frontline stuff but has a long way to go with his control and command. He could be a 1-2, or maybe a 3-4, or maybe a reliever, or maybe a flameout like that O's pitcher whose name I can't recall. I believe he pitched for the Halos for a bit. Great stuff, absolutely no control.

10 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Soriano seems like a big wildcard. High ceiling but very low floor. From what I've seen and read he absolutely has frontline stuff but has a long way to go with his control and command. He could be a 1-2, or maybe a 3-4, or maybe a reliever, or maybe a flameout like that O's pitcher whose name I can't recall. I believe he pitched for the Halos for a bit. Great stuff, absolutely no control.

That's where I disagree with most. Soriano has outings where his control is pinpoint, and others where it isn't. Not dissimilar from any other young, projectable pitcher in their full season debut.

Soriano may only be a small tweak away from repeating those mechanics and subsequent results. He reminds me A LOT of Garrett Richards the first time I watched him pitch in Cedar Rapids. Same velocity, same movement, same breaking balls, same build, same inconsistencies, and same habit of leaving the ball up in the zone.

The only difference here is that Richards developed with professional instruction, particularly at the major league level. They taught him how to repeat his delivery, not telegraph good pitches, to rely on that movement and even enhance it, to not always go for the strikeout but to be ok with the routine roller to 3B and SS. With that instruction, they milked another 2-3 mph on his fastball too.

Soriano is at the same developmental stage as Richards in A Ball with the same type of upside. If he stays healthy, I think it's more likely that Jose Soriano pitches at the middle or front of a rotation than not.

Edited by Second Base