• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

46 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Anyone know why Kyren Paris only played a few games? He hasn't played in almost a month, and it looks like the AZL season finished about a week ago.

Also, no Arol Vera this year.

One more: Is Caleb Scires anything more than a product of Orem altitude? He put up a decent line this year and could be a sleeper prospect.

They waited a while before even letting Paris get into a game. My guess is they had something they are working on the back fields on, and wanted him to be able to develop more physically before playing more consistently. He was not only one of the youngest players in the draft class, but his body hasn't even begun to fill in yet. He's physically on par with a freshly signed 16 year old international prospect.

That's not actually a bad comp at all. Their minor league numbers were pretty close. They have a similar tools profile. Yelich hit .288/.365/.518 with a 154 wRC+ in 49 AA games at the same season age (21), before being called up to the Marlins.

Yelich's 2014-17 career might be about what we can expect from Marsh. 2018-19 would be amazing, but it is hard to predict that anyone will all of a sudden become one of the best players in baseball overnight. Ifwith  Marsh ends up being Yelich the 2016 version (.298/.376/.483, 21 HR, 134 wRC+, 5.4 fWAR) I'll be happy.

My guess is we'll see a trade come up in the off-season to sort of reallocate some of the infield depth the team has and turn it into pitching depth, most likely in relief. 

Don't get me wrong, the Angels need starting pitching worse than they need relief, but when we're talking about guys like Ward, Thaiss, Walsh, and Rojas, few teams would be willing to part with starters that have any major league future for those guys. But relievers, my guess is Eppler will end up flipping Rojas and Ward for a pretty decent high minors reliever with some projection, like when they got Buttrey and Jerez for Kinsler.

Ward couldn't really hack it at 3B for an Eppler led team that places as much emphasis on defense as the Angels do, but some other team will see a kid that's hitting the ball with authority in AAA, that's capable of playing both corner infield spots, both corner outfield spots and even serve as a third catcher. And Rojas, it's simply a numbers crunch. La Stella is an all-star, Rengifo and Fletcher both deserve to start, Thaiss has looked better than anyone anticipated at 3B and has had flashes of brilliance at the plate at the major league level. Despite his roots with Anaheim, it simply makes Rojas the odd man out. 

But I bet you that if Rojas lands with another team, he'll make it to majors and turn into a fan favorite role player almost immediately.

Edited by Second Base

Rojas wasn't called up because he's not on the 40-man and there are currently no roster spots.  

I'm not sure I'd get rid of anyone off the 40-man right this second in order to make room for him when you don't really have to.  

It kinda sucks but who knows if guys like Jewell, Bard and Cole can't become viable options in the future.  The one guy I'd probably say could be pushed out is Cahill, but at this point the Angels want to maintain their flexibility.