• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

39 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Man if we were able to trade for Will Smith and sign Adam Ottavino. I don't think we'd need to make another move. 

Let Cozart, Rengifo, Fletcher, Ward and La Stella battle it out for two spots (2B/3B). We already have a 1B platoon in Bour/Pujols and Ohtani at DH. If Calhoun is the guy of old or close to the guy who came back after his minor league stint last season... We'll be a force to be reckoned with IMO. 

Hopfeully Eppler doesnt sign a pitcher who was good 3 years ago for cheap and try to ''fix'' his mechanics 

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

If thats our motivation were in deeper trouble than i thought.   

Why?  If they perform well we might get into the playoffs.  If they perform well but our team isn’t in line to make the playoffs then you can move them and improve the rebuild.  It makes all the sense in the world, especially with bullpen arms do to their volatility. 

4 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I still think I'd rather have consistently good numbers across the board every season. I don't like the idea of Harper having Ervin Santana like seasons where one year he's great then the next year he sucks. With that being said, If we ever did sign Harper i'd still be happy

career road OPS is .761

it pays to play over 400 games in a little league field 

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Why?  If they perform well we might get into the playoffs.  If they perform well but our team isn’t in line to make the playoffs then you can move them and improve the rebuild.  It makes all the sense in the world, especially with bullpen arms do to their volatility. 

If they perform well, and trade them, are seemingly in opposition in this case. If they do then we should be in the mix unless other areas falter horribly (cough offense cough).
All im saying is signing guys in the hopes of being able to trade them later shouldnt be priority.

1 minute ago, floplag said:

If they perform well, and trade them, are seemingly in opposition in this case. If they do then we should be in the mix unless other areas falter horribly (cough offense cough).
All im saying is signing guys in the hopes of being able to trade them later shouldnt be priority.

Ok what if last year we had the exact same season but Jim Johnson was awesome.   You trade him, without question.  Also it’s not a priority it’s an option.  Something that isn’t as likely if you pay top dollar for 3-4 years of a closer.  

Wilmer Flores would be interesting. He'll only be in his age 27 season in 2019, and in the last three seasons owns a .268/.315/.456/.771 slash with an OPS+ of 109. 

Age 21-23: 81 games, 295 PA, 13 doubles, 8 homers, 12 walks, 39 strikeouts, .253/.287/.386/.673, OPS+ 88
Age 24-26:  113 games, 375, PA, 19 doubles, 15 homers, 23 walks, 48 strikeouts, .268/.315/.456/.771, OPS+ 109

Age 21-23: 13.2 SO%, 4.1 BB%, 7.2 XBH%, 25 LD%
Age 24-26: 12.8 SO%, 6.1 BB%, 9.1 XBH%, 26 LD%

That's an interesting uptick in power for a young player posting well below league-average (and decreasing) SO% rates (MLB is 21%) and increasing BB% (league average is 8%)

Plays 2B 3B, and 1B, and in his career, owns a .780 OPS vs. LHP (.706 vs. RHP), and at 6'3", could be growing into a decent power hitter who has excellent plate discipline and contact skills. Great recipe for success.

Edited by totdprods

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok what if last year we had the exact same season but Jim Johnson was awesome.   You trade him, without question.  Also it’s not a priority it’s an option.  Something that isn’t as likely if you pay top dollar for 3-4 years of a closer.  

Im not suggesting you are wrong, only that i wish that wasnt part of the discussion.  If we made better moves we wouldnt be as much on that cusp as we are.  its hedging bets and trying to play it both ways, its not an effort to actually win, its an effort to hopefully win while keeping your options open.
Its an A's move right out of thier playbook and its beneath this franchise as far as im concerned. 
Its just my opinion, i get it, i simply dont like it.  There is a big difference to me between hoping well win, and expecting to win. 

7 minutes ago, floplag said:

Im not suggesting you are wrong, only that i wish that wasnt part of the discussion.  If we made better moves we wouldnt be as much on that cusp as we are.  its hedging bets and trying to play it both ways, its not an effort to actually win, its an effort to hopefully win while keeping your options open.
Its an A's move right out of thier playbook and its beneath this franchise as far as im concerned. 
Its just my opinion, i get it, i simply dont like it.  There is a big difference to me between hoping well win, and expecting to win. 

any player the Angels sign is done so with the intent of getting them to the playoffs.  It's merely an added benefit if you aren't in it and that player becomes tradeable.  

I'm glad that Maldonado did well enough last year to get us Patrick Sandoval.  I hope we get a shit ton more guys just like him or better if we don't make the playoffs and can move a bunch of expiring contracts.  

wanting to or expecting to make the playoffs and being happy that a guy has trade value in case we don't are not mutually exclusive.  

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Well if we don’t build a sustainable farm we shouldn’t expect to win. 

But in this scenario you are potentially leveraging the success of the big club to do so, that tactic i wont ever agree with.  Your first though was going back to building a sustainable farm by hoping guys bounce back enough to get traded.   Now i would be fine with that if lets say Canning and Sandoval or Suarez were having great years and we wanted to bring them up, but thats a best case situation and not my first thought.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

any player the Angels sign is done so with the intent of getting them to the playoffs.  It's merely an added benefit if you aren't in it and that player becomes tradeable.  

I'm glad that Maldonado did well enough last year to get us Patrick Sandoval.  I hope we get a shit ton more guys just like him or better if we don't make the playoffs and can move a bunch of expiring contracts.  

wanting to or expecting to make the playoffs and being happy that a guy has trade value in case we don't are not mutually exclusive.  

No they are not exclusive, but isnt signing guys coming off better years going to have a better chance of helping the club succeed than guys coming of horrible ones hoping for bounceback?  

I would be very curious to see what happened if a lot of these 1 year guys do bounceback and we are within striking distance which choice they made, im betting it wouldnt be one i agreed with at this point as i think they would still trade them regardless of readiness of replacements.  

19 minutes ago, floplag said:

But in this scenario you are potentially leveraging the success of the big club to do so, that tactic i wont ever agree with.  Your first though was going back to building a sustainable farm by hoping guys bounce back enough to get traded.   Now i would be fine with that if lets say Canning and Sandoval or Suarez were having great years and we wanted to bring them up, but thats a best case situation and not my first thought.

No they are not exclusive, but isnt signing guys coming off better years going to have a better chance of helping the club succeed than guys coming of horrible ones hoping for bounceback?  

I would be very curious to see what happened if a lot of these 1 year guys do bounceback and we are within striking distance which choice they made, im betting it wouldnt be one i agreed with at this point as i think they would still trade them regardless of readiness of replacements.  

he's not saying 'go out and get a bunch of guys on one year deals so we can trade them at the deadline'.  He's saying 'should we obtain a guy on a one year deal, the added benefit is that they could be worth something in trade at the deadline should we be out of it'.  

as far as signing the 'bounce back' type player, I agree that I'd rather have the guy who's show consistency than the guy coming off a bad year, but for relievers it's a little different due to their volatility.  I'd have preferred to keep Alvarez over Luis Garcia.  I'd prefer Robertson over signing a guy like Allen or Holland but I definitely prefer the latter over not doing anything else.  

I guarantee you with 100% certainty that if we are in the WC race at the deadline we not only won't trade anyone away, but we will likely be buyers.  

15 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

he's not saying 'go out and get a bunch of guys on one year deals so we can trade them at the deadline'.  He's saying 'should we obtain a guy on a one year deal, the added benefit is that they could be worth something in trade at the deadline should we be out of it'.  

as far as signing the 'bounce back' type player, I agree that I'd rather have the guy who's show consistency than the guy coming off a bad year, but for relievers it's a little different due to their volatility.  I'd have preferred to keep Alvarez over Luis Garcia.  I'd prefer Robertson over signing a guy like Allen or Holland but I definitely prefer the latter over not doing anything else.  

I guarantee you with 100% certainty that if we are in the WC race at the deadline we not only won't trade anyone away, but we will likely be buyers.  

No he didnt say that, it was just his first reaction to it :)  if i misread then so be it  

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Jays paying 54 mil this year to players not playing for them.    Tulo's go away money and now Martin.

I am not familiar with the prospects they got back but if I were the Jays I would want decent ones for paying down that much salary despite Martin's projected performance.