• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

Seems to me the root of some of this can be traced to the league’s efforts to maintain parity and competitive balance. They tried to make it easier for smaller-market/less-visibility and low-payroll teams to compete and while that has seemed to work, the rest of the larger-market teams just countered the effects of it by investing more in cheaper players and their farms. It didn’t hurt the small teams per se, but it didn’t give them much of an advantage and it drove the larger-market teams into operating with more a of a small-market mindset, while using their dollars to still buy the big talent when able, either by FA or salary dump trades.

I agree that a salary floor would be a great idea, as would a couple expansion teams and a 27-man roster, but they need to also resolve Tampa and Oakland’s stadium situations before they add teams, and likely MILB pay and service times as well. They might need to do some sort of regional realignment just to spark some new rivalries and intrigue if they start losing fans due to a stoppage.

Edited by totdprods

11 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i agree with all 3 posts in every regard, but i also think that mlb needs to get rid of guaranteed multi-year contracts. i don't think a guy should be guaranteed for the near entirety of his career. i would not have a problem with the owners going to a work stoppage over their own sense of inequity.

in the new CBA, i would like to see a payroll floor. i want to see greater movement of players earlier in their career. i want to see milb players get paid a professional living wage, not a part of the mlb cba, i know.

A payroll floor or some other mechanism is a necessity, they have got to stop the tanking.  
I dont want to see greater movement per se, but the option should be there.  
The minor league really need help, this is why baseball loses top athletes.  Why would these guys choose to play in the bus leagues making less than 20K a year for 3-4 years over going right to the NBA or NFL for millions?

Hmm...

If, if, Angels were to get either Harper or Machado, I’d prefer Harper.  Seems like he has had thoughts...I like the MLB The Show graphic showing Angels win World Series with Harper. 

P.S.-I’m not sold that I really want either of these guys. I’d prefer Eppler to go strong in next years free agency. 

Edited by jordan

47 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Seems to me the root of some of this can be traced to the league’s efforts to maintain parity and competitive balance. They tried to make it easier for smaller-market/less-visibility and low-payroll teams to compete and while that has seemed to work, the rest of the larger-market teams just countered the effects of it by investing more in cheaper players and their farms. It didn’t hurt the small teams per se, but it didn’t give them much of an advantage and it drove the larger-market teams into operating with more a of a small-market mindset, while using their dollars to still buy the big talent when able, either by FA or salary dump trades.

I agree that a salary floor would be a great idea, as would a couple expansion teams and a 27-man roster, but they need to also resolve Tampa and Oakland’s stadium situations before they add teams, and likely MILB pay and service times as well. They might need to do some sort of regional realignment just to spark some new rivalries and intrigue if they start losing fans due to a stoppage.

I would add only a 26th player to the roster, and instead of expansion move Tampa Bay to Montreal (righting that wrong from 14 years ago) and the A'th to Vegas or Portland.

The Bay Area has seldom ever TRULY supported the A'th, and TB has seldom ever truly supported the Rays.

11 minutes ago, jordan said:

Hmm...

If, if, Angels were to get either Harper or Machado, I’d prefer Harper.  Seems like he has had thoughts...I like the MLB The Show graphic showing Angels win World Series with Harper. 

P.S.-I’m not sold that I really want either of these guys. I’d prefer Eppler to go strong in next years free agency. 

Same. Harper could switch between 1B and RF this season while we try to recoup some trade value on Calhoun. He could play 1b post-Pujols as well. But is this the time to go all in? I want to say yes(!), but honestly I'm not so sure.

Just now, Sean-Regan said:

Same. Harper could switch between 1B and RF this season while we try to recoup some trade value on Calhoun. He could play 1b post-Pujols as well. But is this the time to go all in? I want to say yes(!), but honestly I'm not so sure.

Seems like it might just be one year early. I think Adell and Canning are key to Angels starting the all in process. 

24 minutes ago, jordan said:

Hmm...

Offseason hypothetical world series champs baby!

When's the parade?

4 hours ago, floplag said:

I'm quite certain the next CBA negotiations are going to be a mess.   The union will demand sooner free agency based on this stat alone. 

sooner free agency will mean more and younger free agents in the pool increasing the supply and further decreasing the need for players in their 30's.  

I would like to see them get rid of the comp pick thing.  The team losing the player should just get a comp pick at the end of the 2nd round.  No pick actually attached to the player.  

I think they should just start the arb process sooner.  like in year 2 instead of 4.  

If they're gonna keep the service time loophole, then you become a restricted free agent or something like that in your final year of control.  

37 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

sooner free agency will mean more and younger free agents in the pool increasing the supply and further decreasing the need for players in their 30's.  

I would like to see them get rid of the comp pick thing.  The team losing the player should just get a comp pick at the end of the 2nd round.  No pick actually attached to the player.  

I think they should just start the arb process sooner.  like in year 2 instead of 4.  

If they're gonna keep the service time loophole, then you become a restricted free agent or something like that in your final year of control.  

Yep.... 

Raise the minimum salary.

Establish a salary floor where teams receiving revenue sharing must reach certain payroll levels or lose out on that money.  

Lower the time needed to enter into arbitration.  

MLB rosters expanded to a steady 28, with 25 active (playable at game time)

Create salary exception slot(s) for players with 10 years in league reducing their luxury cap hit or guaranteeing a certain salary.  Have the reduction scale according to service time....  The idea being that teams again consider longer contracts.

Expansion.

There are a of it ways to give the players a larger piece of the pie or create more MLB jobs for players.   

46 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I dont disagree with any of that, but the teams will heavily as players will start costing much more much sooner.   Well see guys called up sooner which could be good or bad pending the player, and perhaps even a lessening of the minor leagues by making a level or more irrelevant

https://nypost.com/2019/01/15/yasmani-grandal-why-i-turned-down-mets-60-million-offer/amp/

“I felt like part of my responsibility as a player was to respect the guys that went through this process before I did. Guys like Brian McCann and Russell Martin, Yadier Molina. These are guys who established markets and pay levels for upper-tier catchers like me. I felt like I was doing a disservice if I were to take some of the deals that were being thrown around,”

just a snippet of the article.

18 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

https://nypost.com/2019/01/15/yasmani-grandal-why-i-turned-down-mets-60-million-offer/amp/

“I felt like part of my responsibility as a player was to respect the guys that went through this process before I did. Guys like Brian McCann and Russell Martin, Yadier Molina. These are guys who established markets and pay levels for upper-tier catchers like me. I felt like I was doing a disservice if I were to take some of the deals that were being thrown around,”

while admirable, I think that he's getting bad advice.  You have to judge the current market while taking historical precedent into account.  

2 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Lol he screwed himself out of a lot of money by overplaying his hand. He can spin it however he wants to help him sleep at night. 

I am sure Grandal cost himself a few bucks, but it won’t be too bad.  He can probably get himself 3 years and $39 million in the off season, which means it cost him a total of $3 million.  I am guessing none of us would have a problem paying him that now that he won’t cost a draft pick, especially if he has the year he is projected to have.  

2 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Who was he being responsible to when he was suspended for PED use,it sure wasn't those players or his team.

I will say this for guys like Grandal or Donaldson, these one year deals that pay a lot of money aren’t a bad way to go if you produce.  If Grandal or Donaldson have 3-4 WAR seasons they are going to be offered a minimum of what they got this year.  If they do it again next year, guess what?  They will get it again.  Now if you value stability and security then you sign the less per year, but more year offer that you is offered.  If we want to test that theory out, lets see what happens to Moustakas this year.  Last year he overplayed his hand and got a 1 year $6 million deal.  I am just guessing he will get much more than that for 1 year or more than that for 2-3 years.  

12 minutes ago, Travis Painter said:

More dumpster diving 

More projects for White. I am intrigued at what the results will be after White works with all of the Angel projects.  The bullpen could be much, much better than anyone predicted, or thought.