• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

35 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

The eight-year offer is worth $250MM, as per Z101Digital’s Hector Gomez (hat tip to MLB.com’s Scott Merkin).

I bet the phills would be below that.  I think every other team would be below that for him in fact.  The CWS know they would have to overbid to get him.  Still wouldn't surprise me to see the yanks come in at 8/220-230 and win his services.  

I still think they both get more. Machado will for sure get eight. Even Heyward got seven. Fielder got nine if I'm not mistaken. 

Harper's bidding started at 10 years, and Boras probably floated 13 out there. Early bids came in at 8-10, he is probably pushing 10-12 depending on AAV.  Because he feels the need to be greater than everyone else, that 10 year deal has to be more than 325. I bet he gets 350.

15 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

There are many ways to look at this signing. It certainly gives the Yankees an incredible amount of infield depth when you look at Voit, Bird, Andujar, Tulo, Torres, LeMahieu and Didi returning by mid season. They could have DJ play some 1b if Bird get injured (again) or Voit turns out to be a flash in the pan. Or they could move one of the younger players in this group in a trade for more starting pitching, possibly Kluber or Bauer. Indians are motivated to continue retooling now that they have lost Chisenhall, Brantley, Cody Allen, Andrew Miller, Yan Gomes, Encarnacion.

There are a lot of ways to look at every signing.   Take the Angels offseason for example.  Some people view it at a non effort.  Others see it as them taking risks on upsides.  Some see it as the team believing the farm system will contribute and that these players might be trade fodder or depth down the road.  There are always multiple perspectives.   I'm not faulting the Yankees for the signing, I'm simply comping two players that have produced very similarly in neutral settings.   You believe DJ has made the Yankees stronger, that it opens the door for them to do other things -- sensible enough IMO...   But away from Coors -- he's been Cozart.   

8 hours ago, Second Base said:

I still think they both get more. Machado will for sure get eight. Even Heyward got seven. Fielder got nine if I'm not mistaken. 

Harper's bidding started at 10 years, and Boras probably floated 13 out there. Early bids came in at 8-10, he is probably pushing 10-12 depending on AAV.  Because he feels the need to be greater than everyone else, that 10 year deal has to be more than 325. I bet he gets 350.

I think the environment is a lot different then the one Heyward got his contract in. I think this is very true, even though Heywards FA was just like 3 years ago. 

11 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I think the environment is a lot different then the one Heyward got his contract in. I think this is very true, even though Heywards FA was just like 3 years ago. 

Used to be the Heyward and Fielder signings would be used as barometers to gauge future salaries.  The last couple of years it seems those two have joined AP as the poster children for avoiding long term big money deals.   Teams are definitely going about their business a bit differently.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Used to be the Heyward and Fielder signings would be used as barometers to gauge future salaries.  The last couple of years it seems those two have joined AP as the poster children for avoiding long term big money deals.   Teams are definitely going about their business a bit differently.

I think the reset of the aging curve has made a huge difference.  

The gap between what a decent minor league prospect can do and what a guy in his early to mid thirties can do has been closed by quite a bit.  Teams have realized that there is no added value giving a guy 5/50 from age 32-36 when a player at league minimum can closely approximate that.  

It used to be where the age 36-39 age gap was where you'd be giving out 1-2 year deals.  Now that has shifted to include all the way down to age 31/32.  So instead of that gap getting gobbled up and not available for 4-5 years, they are available again in 1-2 years which has subsequently increased the supply of the free agent pool.  

This has trickled up to the top of the market as well.   Players and their agents have tried to offset some of the decrease in long term commitment by going with opt out options but that actually compounds the problem long term in that it leads to more supply.  

Some data to support my theory?  

from 1980 till now you got 38 seasons.  

the last six seasons (2013-18) are in the top ten for plate appearances by players age 24 and under.  

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think the reset of the aging curve has made a huge difference.  

The gap between what a decent minor league prospect can do and what a guy in his early to mid thirties can do has been closed by quite a bit.  Teams have realized that there is no added value giving a guy 5/50 from age 32-36 when a player at league minimum can closely approximate that.  

It used to be where the age 36-39 age gap was where you'd be giving out 1-2 year deals.  Now that has shifted to include all the way down to age 31/32.  So instead of that gap getting gobbled up and not available for 4-5 years, they are available again in 1-2 years which has subsequently increased the supply of the free agent pool.  

This has trickled up to the top of the market as well.   Players and their agents have tried to offset some of the decrease in long term commitment by going with opt out options but that actually compounds the problem long term in that it leads to more supply.  

Some data to support my theory?  

from 1980 till now you got 38 seasons.  

the last six seasons (2013-18) are in the top ten for plate appearances by players age 24 and under.  

I'm quite certain the next CBA negotiations are going to be a mess.   The union will demand sooner free agency based on this stat alone. 

11 minutes ago, floplag said:

I'm quite certain the next CBA negotiations are going to be a mess.   The union will demand sooner free agency based on this stat alone. 

I’m pretty convinced that we’re going to see a significant work stoppage.  It’s going to be ugly. The MLBPA is going to go to war over this. 

27 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m pretty convinced that we’re going to see a significant work stoppage.  It’s going to be ugly. The MLBPA is going to go to war over this. 

I suspect you might be right, but I hope not as i fear it will damage the game far more than anyone might benefit.  There wont be another McGuire/Sosa fest to bring people back this time. 

2 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

2 hours ago, floplag said:

I suspect you might be right, but I hope not as i fear it will damage the game far more than anyone might benefit.  There wont be another McGuire/Sosa fest to bring people back this time. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Maybe only something like lowering original club control from 6 to say 4 years could prevent it from getting ugly?

i agree with all 3 posts in every regard, but i also think that mlb needs to get rid of guaranteed multi-year contracts. i don't think a guy should be guaranteed for the near entirety of his career. i would not have a problem with the owners going to a work stoppage over their own sense of inequity.

in the new CBA, i would like to see a payroll floor. i want to see greater movement of players earlier in their career. i want to see milb players get paid a professional living wage, not a part of the mlb cba, i know.