• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

3 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I still think I'd rather have consistently good numbers across the board every season. I don't like the idea of Harper having Ervin Santana like seasons where one year he's great then the next year he sucks. With that being said, If we ever did sign Harper i'd still be happy

Except in a bad season Bryce Harper offensively is as good as Justin Upton, which is to date, Machado's average. In a vacuum, I'd prefer Harper. 

3 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I'd expect him to have the mindset that someone his age like Trout does. Someone who knows they are the best player but is also the humblest of players.

Again, Bryce Harper had been the anointed savior of baseball since he was in middle school, fat boying out HRs in rich white boy baseball camps and being hyped up in every way possible. It's a wonder he isn't more of a cartoonish smug supervillain like Bonds became.

Trout was good ol' boyin' it up in bumfuck Jersey, everymannin' it as the son of a failed minor leaguer and going below everyone's radar.

Two very different backgrounds. Bryce is like the Anakin Skywalker to Trout's Luke.

43 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Stanton at 25 mil per is a really good value.  He was at DH last year for the same reason Darin Erstad played 1B for two years.... because the Yankees have a really good group of two way OFers.  Stanton was good for 10 DRS his final year in Miami and 46 for his career.  To put that into perspective, Kole Calhoun's best DRS season was last year when he put up 11, and he's at 51 for his career.  Pretty much all the defensive metrics paint a pretty solid picture of Stanton.... 

He will likely be back in the OF full-time the second Brett Gardner's contract expires.  

He will continue to be tested by the deeper than normal LF/LCF dimensions at home.  

14 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Again, Bryce Harper had been the anointed savior of baseball since he was in middle school, fat boying out HRs in rich white boy baseball camps and being hyped up in every way possible. It's a wonder he isn't more of a cartoonish smug supervillain like Bonds became.

Trout was good ol' boyin' it up in bumfuck Jersey, everymannin' it as the son of a failed minor leaguer and going below everyone's radar.

Two very different backgrounds. Bryce is like the Anakin Skywalker to Trout's Luke.

Or Harper/Machado is the Lindsey Lohan to Trout's Ron Howard.

20 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Back when Marvin Miller was going at it with ownership on behalf of the players and free agency he argued in favor of six years on control vs allowing players to test free agency sooner because he believed a glut of available players would end up driving salaries down...  If he was right then players will end up worse off.  Man, the next CBA is gonna be fun.

And when Charlie Finley proposed 1 year contracts for EVERYBODY his fellow owners quickly shut him down.  Miller later admitted that that was the one scenario he dreaded most and that if anyone other than Finley had come up with it the owners might actually have taken it seriously.

52 minutes ago, totdprods said:

This exactly.  And truly, I'm really glad my antics and growing pains between the ages of 18-25 weren't the stuff of national news.  The fact that Bryce Harper became one of the best ball players of his generation, and potentially a hall of famer if he stays healthy for a long time, instead of the greatest to ever play the game shouldn't be seen as a disappointment, and it certainly shouldn't paint Harper as the bad guy. 

If he ended up signing with the Angels, I guarantee pretty much everyone would instantly become a fan. 

Although I will add one caveat......Anakin in his prime before becoming Darth Vader would've wiped the floor with Luke. 

1 hour ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Watch the Angels randomly swoop in and sign Machado or Harper just because it took them too long to sign elsewhere. You know that's in the far back of Arte's mind since he loves to do that. 

Can you give me one example of the Angels doing that under Arte?

4 minutes ago, Glen said:

Swooping?  I don't know about that.....maybe Torii Hunter could've been classified as one?  I don't think Albert or Hamilton were a swoop.  Trading for Mark Teixeira was sort of a surprise I guess.  Dan Haren seemed to be one, when the Angels outbid the Yankees at the last minute. 

59 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Back when Marvin Miller was going at it with ownership on behalf of the players and free agency he argued in favor of six years on control vs allowing players to test free agency sooner because he believed a glut of available players would end up driving salaries down...  If he was right then players will end up worse off.  Man, the next CBA is gonna be fun.

the mlbpa would be better off trying to get a higher min and increase arb rates than having less years of control for that very reason. Because draft slots are set, I'd also like to see the ability to trade draft picks come into play.  That would be a very interesting and allow teams to get very creative with players drafted later.  I have to wonder if the NCAA would balk at that though because if more players are jumping to pro ball it would dilute the pool for college.  

I wonder if teams having to pay a penalty for not achieving a minimum payroll would help to fix part of the issues with having too large of a pool.  

12 minutes ago, Second Base said:

This exactly.  And truly, I'm really glad my antics and growing pains between the ages of 18-25 weren't the stuff of national news.  The fact that Bryce Harper became one of the best ball players of his generation, and potentially a hall of famer if he stays healthy for a long time, instead of the greatest to ever play the game shouldn't be seen as a disappointment, and it certainly shouldn't paint Harper as the bad guy. 

If he ended up signing with the Angels, I guarantee pretty much everyone would instantly become a fan. 

Although I will add one caveat......Anakin in his prime before becoming Darth Vader would've wiped the floor with Luke. 

That was always sort of the subtext of the Trout v. Harper storyline though too, that Bryce was going to be the superior player...

9 minutes ago, Glen said:

Not exactly the same scenario, but the Angels pounced on Vlad because everyone was balking due to his back. 

Pujols was surprising, but he seemingly was a big target all along...when you couple it with CJ though, it was quite a statement. 
Hamilton caught me 100% off-guard and he had his share of baggage. Angels took no time going after it quietly there. 

And yeah, the Teixeia, Greinke, and Haren trades, as well as this era's Upton and Simmons deals, all had quite the abruptness to them. 

Truth is, Arte-era Angels really do have a knack for making big, bold moves. And usually not without much indication or expectation from our part. So as unlikely as Harper or Machado are, I do think there is sufficient precedent here that does not rule the Angels lurking on either one.