• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Claim Luke Farrell

mulwin444

Per Fletcher's Twitter:

"The #Angels have claimed RHP Luke Farrell on waivers from Cubs. He has a 5.17 ERA in 20 games with the Cubs this yr (2 starts). He's been optioned to Orem for now (AAA season is over).

The Angels DFA'd Osmer Morales and put Pujols on the 60-day DL (spots for Shoemaker, Farrell)."

Eppler bargain shops typically three times a year.  Once during the winter when players need to be added to the 40 man roster or get booted, once at the end of Spring Training when certain guys who are out of options won't make the big league club, and once more after the September call up deadline.

Surprisingly, the end result is usually quite positive. He claims or trades for these guys that you'd think are lost causes, and yet somehow, they end up being valuable, at least for some stretches.  Jose Alvarez, JC Ramirez, Felix Pena, Blake Wood, Jefry Marte, Taylor Cole, Miguel Almonte, Parker Bridwell, Blake Parker, Noe Ramirez.....

Trust me, no homeruns in the mix, but definitely some hidden value that Eppler recognizes.

I know vdry little about Luke Farrell, but the fact that he's 6'6" and has been a successful starting pitcher all the way through AAA likely means that some point, he'll be on the mound for the Angels next year, and will end up being totally better than anyone expected. 

I think it was a DiPoto deal -- but one of the better pick ups (trade) we made in recent years was getting pen guy Frieri (could never spell his name right).

It was a sort of a nothing deal -- pretty much two failed pitchers who needed a change of scenery.

Frieri wound up being one of our more effective guys out of  pen -- was our closer for about two seasons -- did he make the All Star team (or may have just been considered for it).....

Had something like 25 maybe 30 saves for the Halos one year -- and then towards the end of his time with the Halos - the glass slipper came off, he lost the closer's role, was ineffective for a few outings - and then traded to some place like Pittsburgh (and we got a decent pen guy in return who helped the Halos while he was here) ---

I think Frieri may be out of baseball by now -- he bounced around to a few teams since leaving the Halos -- that deal was great for us because the expectations for Frieri were low to non-existant - nothing.

so these nothing type deals, waiver wire pick ups sometimes work out.

2 hours ago, disarcina said:

I think it was a DiPoto deal -- but one of the better pick ups (trade) we made in recent years was getting pen guy Frieri (could never spell his name right).

It was a sort of a nothing deal -- pretty much two failed pitchers who needed a change of scenery.

Frieri wound up being one of our more effective guys out of  pen -- was our closer for about two seasons -- did he make the All Star team (or may have just been considered for it).....

Had something like 25 maybe 30 saves for the Halos one year -- and then towards the end of his time with the Halos - the glass slipper came off, he lost the closer's role, was ineffective for a few outings - and then traded to some place like Pittsburgh (and we got a decent pen guy in return who helped the Halos while he was here) ---

I think Frieri may be out of baseball by now -- he bounced around to a few teams since leaving the Halos -- that deal was great for us because the expectations for Frieri were low to non-existant - nothing.

so these nothing type deals, waiver wire pick ups sometimes work out.

It wasn't quite like that, here are the details from MLBTR at the time:

"The Angels were known to be looking for bullpen help and they have addressed that need in the form of Ernesto FrieriThe Angels acquired the right-handed reliever from the Padres in exchange for right-hander Donn Roach and infielder Alexi Amarista The Padres first announced the move on their official Twitter feed.

Frieri has been one of the game's more underrated relievers during his four Major League seasons.  Frieri has a 2.33 ERA, a 2.45 K/BB ratio, an 11.4 K/9 rate and 0.6 HR/9 over 105 career appearances, with 137 strikeouts in 108 1/3 innings.  As Padres broadcaster Andy Masur points out (Twitter link), Frieri had been the longest-tenured player in the San Diego organization, originally signing with the team in January 2003 at age 17.  Frieri turns 27 in July and has virtually identical home/away splits for his career, indicating he isn't a creation of Petco Park's pitcher-friendly dimensions.  Frieri is represented by Matt Colleran and is under team control through 2016."

I think where you are confused is when Frieri was moved to the Pirates for Jason Grilli, at that point both were struggling relievers.

17 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Eppler bargain shops typically three times a year.  Once during the winter when players need to be added to the 40 man roster or get booted, once at the end of Spring Training when certain guys who are out of options won't make the big league club, and once more after the September call up deadline.

Surprisingly, the end result is usually quite positive. He claims or trades for these guys that you'd think are lost causes, and yet somehow, they end up being valuable, at least for some stretches.  Jose Alvarez, JC Ramirez, Felix Pena, Blake Wood, Jefry Marte, Taylor Cole, Miguel Almonte, Parker Bridwell, Blake Parker, Noe Ramirez.....

Trust me, no homeruns in the mix, but definitely some hidden value that Eppler recognizes.

I know vdry little about Luke Farrell, but the fact that he's 6'6" and has been a successful starting pitcher all the way through AAA likely means that some point, he'll be on the mound for the Angels next year, and will end up being totally better than anyone expected. 

wasn't Jose Alvarez part of a trade from the White Sox?