• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bullpen Target/Acquisition Thread

6 hours ago, Turd Ferguson said:

Have to add someone, preferably two. This bullpen is hot garbage right now. I wouldn't trust any of these guys with a one run lead. I have to imagine that the pen is the top priority right now.

One run lead? I wouldn’t trust them with a three run lead! ? 

Just now, Taylor said:

I don't know if Kelvin Herrera would be the savior that many seem to think he would be. He's one season removed from having a 4.25 ERA and 1.35 WHIP.

I'd much rather have Brad Hand. A lefty with three straight years of an ERA under 3.00, WHIP of around 1.00 and K/9 > 11. It wouldn't be the first time we acquired a closer from San Diego to contend.

14 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I don't know if Kelvin Herrera would be the savior that many seem to think he would be. He's one season removed from having a 4.25 ERA and 1.35 WHIP.

There was belief he was pitching through injury last year. Players also just have down years and it looks like last year was an aberration. He has a career 2.80 ERA as a reliever in the majors on some really good teams and right now he's pitching to a 1.15 ERA. I don't know if any one person would be a savior to this bullpen, but he would certainly give it a boost and he would most certainly be given the 9th inning with no debate.

Of course, I would also be down for a Hand job like @rafibomb proposed.

10 hours ago, Hubs said:

Last night aside, this pen has the makings of a successful one.I like Noe Ramirez, Alvarez, Parker, Johnson, Bedrosian, Anderson, Pena, and Wood.

Yet an established closer would be nice. Getting one now would be expensive. In May, you can get the Ernesto Frieri types, but the Huston Street types aren't often available until around the All-Star Break.

Yeah, I actually agree with you.  I do think we have a number of pretty good bullpen pieces overall.  The problem though is we need a true legitimate closer - someone we can feel confident in to come in and entirely shut the game down.  Having one pushes each reliever back earlier in the sequence, which is great, too.  It's a shame Middleton is essentially gone for the season too, as he was a good set-up man IMO.  Alas...

As others have said here and as I have mentioned, Hand is the guy to look at if Velazquez (Pirates) is unavailable, as we'd gain 3.5 years of a closer.  Herrera is an option too, but I wouldn't give up too much for him since you are only getting 2 months of control.

Also, therein lies the possibility that Canning and perhaps Suarez might both be deployed as relievers in September.  I don't know how their stuff might play up as relievers, but at the very least, if we don't have our bullpen solved by September, then we might as well give them both a shot.

Kimbrel is indeed a FA after this season, and is only 30 when the 2019 season starts.

His stats compared to 2017 all look pretty much the same, aside from allowing what I believe are 4 solo HRs in 18.1 innings (only 5 runs allowed so far).   That is the only red flag so far, but at least he isn’t giving up the long ball with men on base.

Of course, that doesn't take care of 2018. 

Then I guess the 9th inning especially will always be an albatross?   Can’t have a pick your part closer.   That normally does not work, especially for post-season teams.

He better be developing the next Kimbrel on the farm, ASAP!

Middleton, once he returns, isn’t that guy.   He’s a 7th/8th inning guy for a post-season team.   Heat is too flat.