• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bullpen Target/Acquisition Thread

It's clear the bullpen needs help but where do we get help from? Is it someone down in the farm? Do we trade? And if we trade, do we trade THIS early? I have seen names like Kelvin Herrera's name mentioned many times here. I would like to add Brad Hand to that list. However, these guys will cost a premium so who are we willing to give up: Marsh, Thaiss, Jones? I feel bad for Eppler because this won't be an easy fix and it would suck to lose some of our prospects because I feel like we just started having a deep farm.

In my opinion, we just need to tough it out for now. I think Blake Parker turns it around and Justin Anderson gets better with more experience. The cost of a reliever will lower as teams clearly out of playoff contention start to sell. Also, I trust that our farm will get that much deeper after the draft in June so we can afford to lose a prospect or two.

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Why not make one deal now for a solid closer like Herrera?   Then if one more solid reliever is still needed in July, do so then as well.

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Kelvin Herrera. 

Make it happen Eppy!

Although everyone and their moms know teams like the Padres and Royals aren't contending this year the price today will cost even more than at the deadline. Who do you think would be enough for Herrera?

Our usual buds Detroit and Atlanta don't look like they'll be selling soon, so I'd watch Cincinnati. Several arms there to be interested in. We've plucked a lot of guys from them before in Wright, Ramirez, de Los Santos. Probably wouldn't cost too much to re-acquire David Hernandez, who signed a 2/$5 with Cincinnati. Length of contract may turn Eppler off a bit. 9 IP, 6 H, 3 BB, 11 K, 2.00 ERA.

Jared Hughes and Raisel Iglesias would be on the radar too.

Elsewhere, Nate Jones is another pending FA but I can see Chicago holding him until deadline.

I really don't think we will see Eppler do anything beyond pluck a reliever off DFA limbo or trade for a vet stuck in AAA type as of now. Anyone else will simply cost too much. 

Zach Britton- could be cheaper bc of his injuries  and is expected back soon, but he’s also a guy who looking to bounce back bc he wants a QO. 

Herrera- KC will be sellers and looking for nice hauls for guys like him and Moose

Soria- not my first choice but has experience closing games and has a 1M buyout after 2018. Also would be a low cost rental

Jeurys Familia- Mets are still in it so they’re not sellers yet, but another guy who set to hit free agency with closer stuff. He turns 29 in October so he may be a guy you try and resign. 

We're not likely to make a significant move right now, although DiPoto picked up Frieri (who was very good for a year) in early May (3rd) of 2012.....otherwise, a David Hernandez pick up is about all you're going to do right now (late April last year)...Although he wasn't dominant by any means, Chacin was a good Eppler pick up in May (2016)....but that's about as good as you can do right now....

Unfortunately, nothing is going to happen for at least another 1.5-2 months.  Teams just don't make significant deals this early.  The earliest we'd see action is probably the beginning of July (like when the Cubs acquired Quintana).

I am usually averse to trading prospects, but after watching our minor league system grow the last two years under Eppler and seeing guys make big leaps from obscurity, I have faith that our minor league development team is robust, and even if we trade a few prospects, we have the team in place to replenish and keep building.  That's why I am okay trading a few players for a big need that has no clear solution.

I am all for trading significant prospects to acquire Hand from the Padres.  He won't be cheap, but he'll solve our closer position for years and he'll give us the second lefty.

I'd also poke around the Royals and see what they might want for Herrera.  Herrera's a FA after this year, so perhaps the cost is cheap, but I do think a lot of other contenders would want another strong reliever, so I can't imagine he'd be that cheap.

Hand, Herrera, Anderson, Alvarez, Johnson, Parker, Bedrosian ... would have been better with Middleton, but alas, this would be a great pen.  It would cost us, but it'd also give us a strong core moving forward, too.

8 hours ago, rafibomb said:

It's clear the bullpen needs help but where do we get help from? Is it someone down in the farm? Do we trade? And if we trade, do we trade THIS early? I have seen names like Kelvin Herrera's name mentioned many times here. I would like to add Brad Hand to that list. However, these guys will cost a premium so who are we willing to give up: Marsh, Thaiss, Jones? I feel bad for Eppler because this won't be an easy fix and it would suck to lose some of our prospects because I feel like we just started having a deep farm.

In my opinion, we just need to tough it out for now. I think Blake Parker turns it around and Justin Anderson gets better with more experience. The cost of a reliever will lower as teams clearly out of playoff contention start to sell. Also, I trust that our farm will get that much deeper after the draft in June so we can afford to lose a prospect or two.

I don't know. I think it's a big risk. You just hate to lose games like last night and when it's a division rival or a big competitor it feels worse. How long can we afford to wait?

57 minutes ago, zenmaster said:

I'm amazed that a guy (Brad Hand) on the Padres has 12 saves and the team has 17 wins. Lots of close games. 

What about Alex Colome on the Rays? He got lit up early this season so maybe he'd be cheaper and most likely better than what we already have. He also sports a crooked cap, so that's awesome. 

http://m.mlb.com/player/517008/alex-colome

I don't trust that guy.

21 minutes ago, floplag said:

Guys, were not getting bargains here.  We have zero leverage and all the need. 
Any spare parts or guys we dont want for someones stopper... please, just stop,

Yes, we'll have to give up one of our don't-want-to-give-up prospects.